Who's better than Justin Pogge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Jimmy Howard deserves mention and I haven't been seeing many people include his name in these lists. His stats this year aren't overwhelming, but he's 21 and in the AHL already. He's going to be very, very good.

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
Karri Rämö 1.7.1986
Tuukka Rask 10.3.1987

They played against each other last night in a PRO league

Karri Rämö 13+4+21+2=40 1goal allowed, stopped 7 out of 8 in shootout

Tuukka Rask 17+11+7+6=41 1 goal allowed, stopped 6 out of 8 in shootout

Karri Rämö 16gp 1,91GAA 93,7S% 1 SO

Tuukka Rask 19gp 2,33GAA 92,28S% 0 SO

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
This is a classic troll. Anyone notice how after he hyped up Pogge he disappeared? He hasn't replied since. It's pretty simple, either he's a Hitman fan, or a Leaf fan. He's just looking for a rise out of everyone. As for Pogge, I think alot of people are overlooking the fact the plays on a strong, defensive minded team, which is obviously factoring into his stats. No, I'm not saying that's the only reason for his stats, but it sure helps. Just look at Kelowna's goalies year in and year out. Regardless, I think nearly everyone is in agreement that Pogge is solid, just not anywhere near the best young goalie out there.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Leachmeister2000 said:
Hey don't get me wrong, I hate Pogge because he's a Leafs prospect, but when you're a goalie into a tournament with a group of inexperienced guys supporting you, I don't care what you say, but that guy has to be good to backstop his team to a gold medal. Sure the defense played a huge part in that but seriously, go back to the threads started before the tournament and you'll see the exorbitant number of posters that doubted the defensive core. Go on.

I still fail to see how the expectations on the defence leading up to the tournament have any bearing on Pogge. It wouldn't matter if every poster registered for this board thought that the Canadian defence was too inexperienced and wouldn't step up. The fact that they did makes all the pre-tournament opinions irrelevant. In fact, even if the defence did falter as was feared, the predictions themselves become irrelevant once events actually unfold.

I was never saying that Pogge isn't good. I never said that he didn't deserve the recognition he got for helping lead Canada to gold. I never said he was riding the coattails of the rest of the team to victory. I was (and still am) saying that there are people who act like Pogge singlehandedly won the tournament for Canada, and that he's now vaulted to the head of the class for goalie prospects.

Canada won because the forwards scored, the defense stopped the opposition, and Pogge stopped what got through. People say that this team Canada lacked firepower, but they never failed to score less than 3 goals. No other team in the tournament did that. Only twice did Canada have to win a game by a single goal margin. Pogge didn't need to be spectacular, just solid. And solid is exactly what he was. He led the tournament in save %, but not by a ton (0.02%), and tied for 2nd in GAA He might have been the only goalie to play every single minute of the tournament for his team, but he faced less shots than goalies who played as much as 15% less of the tournament. As I said, he was very good, but it's not like he was Jesus on skates.

I'm not going to get into ranking the prospects, since I havent' seen enough of every one of them to make a good comparison. I just want to point out the fallacy of putting Pogge on the highest pedestal.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Pogge is being way overhyped here, he may end up being a solid #1 goaltender, but IMO not much more. He isnt even the best netminder prospect in the leafs system.

Matrix

Dec 16, 2005
Montreal
No one is better!!!! Pogge the next Patrick Roy!!!! or should I say Patrick Roy was just like Justin Pogge.

The Great Pogge will be known as the best goalie that ever played! Just trade Rask now, you will never need him since Pogge will be your next goalie for the next 20 years, 82 games a year......

Happy??? :D

Canadude*

Montoya hands down.

Pogge is pretty good but is nothing special.

badrobot101

Jan 16, 2006
Toronto
Maybe if the Hitmen win the Memorial Cup, then we'll have a better idea of what the future holds re: Pogge. If he keeps up his current stats through four gruelling WHL playoff rounds, and fights his way to the top in Moncton, we can heap superlatives on him.

rigger

Aug 18, 2004
Jessica Alba's Dream
Sakuuuuu said:
Justin Pogge > Chuck Norris. 'nuff said. We can now end this thread.

Yeah, but can he roundhouse kick like Norris? Answer .... No Freakin Way.

Goalies better then Pogge
D. Dubnyk
M. Keetly
M. Schwartz (sp?)

I honestly believe these guys are better suited for the NHL, Schwartz is as quick a goalie I have seen, Kipperesque. Dubnyk reminds me a lot of Kolzig, big, very good positionally and can be relied upon to make the timely save. Keetly, I am not sure to compare him too but I like him a lot. Great head on his shoulders, Pogge's stats are better but Keetly sees a lot more shots, about 35% more shots so far this season.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Yeah someone started a thread on Pogge claiming he was the best Goalie prospects.

On top of that ALL THESE OTHER GUYS COME ... diss the thread starter... make your points on who YOU GUYS THINK is better than Pogge. I've heard Harding, Price, Dubnyk, Greiss .... Sure!

Then the IMMATURE ONES come and start saying **** like Pogge is better than Roy and all that crap... :shakehead how immature can you all get man...

Namso

Aug 25, 2005
Price is easily better than Pogge. He doesn't play on stacked teams.

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
Namso said:
Price is easily better than Pogge. He doesn't play on stacked teams.
Pogge has faced 738 shots in 33 gp = 22.3 shots per gm
Price has faced 1126 shotsin 39 gp = 28.8 shots per gm
The Calgary hitmen are 36-11-1 135 gf 94 ga
Tri-City Americans are 19-20-3 120 gf 145 ga

You have to see how the teams make a big difference. I wouldn't say that Price is easily better than Pogge but I would say he's easily a better prospect and so is Rask.

BigTimer*

Metallian said:
then why didnt Price crack the Team Canada roster as even a backup?

:biglaugh:
Because, as almost everyone knows (mentioned in this very thread, even) Price doesn't practice on gameday so Sutter cut him once Price told him that.

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
BigTimer said:
Because, as almost everyone knows (mentioned in this very thread, even) Price doesn't practice on gameday so Sutter cut him once Price told him that.

Yet Sutter had no problem making him #1 the year before :rolleyes:

HankyZetts

Twi2ted
Mar 16, 2004
BigTimer said:
im wondering is there a link for this or a reason why he doesnt practice?? is it superstition??

BigTimer*

Metallian said:
Yet Sutter had no problem making him #1 the year before :rolleyes:
I don't know what tricks the TV companies play in Ukraine but...

Metallian*

Dec 27, 2005
BigTimer said:
I don't know what tricks the TV companies play in Ukraine but...

i got glass and price mixed up, my bad

either way, pogge outperformed the favored price, while price didnt even crack the roster

pogge > price

his numbers dont lie

slumpy43

Mar 30, 2005
USA
For Montoya, he is hot and cold for stretches. He still needs to iron out some inconsistencies, but the potential is there. Another full season in the A is in the cards for him before becoming a backup in NY.

Just to throw another name out there, how about Brian Elliott? Never seen him play but he currently has the best stats in the NCAA at age 20. 18-2-2, 1.40, 0.944 Maybe some who have seen him can comment.

Sebastien Centomo

Feb 29, 2004
www.tmlfans.ca
rigger said:
Great head on his shoulders, Pogge's stats are better but Keetly sees a lot more shots, about 35% more shots so far this season.

... in ten more games.

Pogge faces 22.5 shots a game. Keetley faces 25.6.

Not nearly as drastic as it sounds.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
MaDdY said:
Yeah someone started a thread on Pogge claiming he was the best Goalie prospects.

On top of that ALL THESE OTHER GUYS COME ... diss the thread starter... make your points on who YOU GUYS THINK is better than Pogge. I've heard Harding, Price, Dubnyk, Greiss .... Sure!

Then the IMMATURE ONES come and start saying **** like Pogge is better than Roy and all that crap... :shakehead how immature can you all get man...

The difference is that a lot of people who offered opinions on who's better offered them as opinions. We said "I think....." or "I like...." or something similar, instead of standing up and saying "Who's better than Thomas Greiss? Nobody!" or something equally as idiotic.

And who are you to put down our opinions? I like Greiss a lot. He doesn't get recognition because Germany had to play this year in the WJC's 2nd tier, and because the DEL isn't one of the "big 4" European leagues that get all the attention (Russia, Sweden, Finland, Czech Rep.). The fact is that in a league populated by men, including a fairly sizable pool of former and fringe NHLers, Greiss has absolutely dominated. OK, so a recent update of the stats shows that he's fallen to 2nd place in terms of GAA with a mark of 2.09, but he still leads the league with a 0.937 sv% as a 19 year old playing with MEN. I'm not going to use that as a way of claiming that Greiss is the definitive #1 goalie prospect. He's clearly not. But I honestly believe that Greiss is among a handful of goalies who deserve to be considered higher than Pogge. Others like Harding better, or Price, or Dubnyk. That's the way it is. None of us are experts, so you shouldn't ridicule our opinions if you don't agree with them. I don't see you sitting next to Bob McKenzie at the Entry Draft coverage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->