Who's better Tavares or Stamkos?

markzab

Sep 6, 2005
Philadelphia, PA.
I just think that after hype like that he should be breaking some records, not just being amazing.

Found this old thread and re-reading it was kind of funny.

To the quoted poster...how about breaking Gretzky's goal record as a 16 year old? That a good enough record for you? :sarcasm:

the_speedster

Jul 7, 2007
I find it ironic

that the poster didn't continue the argument once john stopped playing with one arm ties behind his back and smashed stampkos im the points/awards race ;)

Meichel Kane

My Name Is
Jun 6, 2006
Stamkos or Tavares?

I thought Tavares had the clearly higher upside, but:

"If John Tavares were eligible for the 2008 draft and it was being held on Saturday, where would he rank on the lists they just submitted?"

The strong consensus is at No. 2, just behind Sarnia sniper Steven Stamkos. Tavares accumulated 91 voting points. Stamkos had 100; and Drew Doughty 88.

Three scouts did say they would take Tavares first overall.

"You can't look past 72 goals as a 16 year old," one scout said. "He's only going to get better. He's so focused. He is so determined to score goals and make goals happen that he won't be denied."

But five scouts pegged him at No. 2 and two others ranked him at No. 3. So seven of 10 scouts surveyed, as of today, would take Stamkos over Tavares.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=217783&hubname=

Agree with TSN? Disagree?

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Your kidding right? Tavares won the CHL Rookie of the Year Award as a 15 year old. And you are actually comparing them?

It's interesting now that this question has actually come up and when I posted this waaay back, some people thought it was a Pejorative Slured question, but now it may not be? Very interesting with these two '90 born kids.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Could someone please tell me whether Stamkos would be able to play for the World championships in December?? And if not, then why not??

David

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
So the scouts have spoken...not that they're always correct, mind you...

but basically, the only way for Tavares' agent to be justified in demanding NHL to bend the rules would be for young JT to accomplish something truly remarkable next year...say something like netting 120 goals or breaking 300 pts in a season or something to that effect...

HABSMANIA21*

tavares is one of those player whose not fansy and gets the job done and stamkos is fancy and gets the job done. i can see why you are asking this question,now alot of people are gonna say tavares by a mile but stamkos is a much more dynamic player. i'd probely take tavares but not by alot

HABSMANIA21*

btw stamkos has a good attitude unlike tavares and i know both personally ive trained with both.

hgo

Mar 21, 2004
Manhattan
Honestly, I'm slightly hoping that the Islanders tank one of the next two years, because Tavares and Stamkos seem like the type of future stars that could save their franchise ala Crosby in Pittsburgh. As for which one is better, it's pretty close right now, but Tavares has definitely been hyped more than Stamkos has.

hgo

Mar 21, 2004
Manhattan
Rediculous statement. He just has a bad attitude? In regards to what? In general?
The fact that he's pushing to get into the draft this year is going to negatively impact his public standing...

HABSMANIA21*

Rediculous statement. He just has a bad attitude? In regards to what? In general?

im talking about things that dont even have to do with hockey that i shouldnt mention.

Bryzga lol*

then do the world a favour and don't.

loller.gif

AlMo

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Stamkos vs Tavares

TSN has an article on it's website debating whether or not Tavares would be the number 1 pick in this ut year's draft. 7/10 scouts say Stamkos would be their choice. I know Stamkos is a great player and should be a star in the NHL someday but how do you pass up on a talent like Tavares. Tavares is a talent that doesn;t come along very often. These scouts may say this now but i think they would change their tune on the actual draft day. I know the argument is insignificant since they won't be drafted in the same year but interesting nonetheless.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=217783&hubname=nhl

PuckheadMcGillycuddy

Aug 12, 2002
TSN has an article on it's website debating whether or not Tavares would be the number 1 pick in this ut year's draft. 7/10 scouts say Stamkos would be their choice. I know Stamkos is a great player and should be a star in the NHL someday but how do you pass up on a talent like Tavares. Tavares is a talent that doesn;t come along very often. These scouts may say this now but i think they would change their tune on the actual draft day. I know the argument is insignificant since they won't be drafted in the same year but interesting nonetheless.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=217783&hubname=nhl

Several threads on this -- this article is nearly two months old.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
call me crazy but i'd pick stamkos

It isnt crazy but its a huge gamble. Nothing against Stamkos he's a fairly safe pick but you can argue that Pieterangelo or Doughty will be picked ahead of him for the '08 draft. With Tavares it's almost a lights out lock that he's #1 in '09.

His numbers just cant be ignored. I mean I know a lot of people have pointed out his flaws and while there are some for some reason this kid just scores and scores and scores. If he was just piling up points on the powerplay then that might be a problem but he does it everywhere. He scores shorthanded, he scores even strength and he scores on the PP. He did this last year and he's doing it again this year too.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
"It wouldn't be fair to say scouts are concerned that Tavares' skating, deemed to be average at this point..."

Wow. This is a mirror image of what was said about Jason Spezza. Probably almost word for word.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->