Whos 1-10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
trahans99 said:
Now that we've seen the 11-25, whos in the top 10?

Ovechkin, Malkin, Horton, MA Fleury, Vanek, Lehtonen, Phaneuf, Suter, Michalek.

1. Ovechkin
2. Lehtonen
3. Malkin
4. MA Fleury
5. Phaneuf
6. Zherdev
7. Horton
8. Suter
9. Michalek
10. Vanek

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
ok both are eligible, the cutoff is 65 games and horton played 55, zherdev played 57

those are definitely the top 10, only question is what order

Prucha73

How does being injured for most of the last season get Michalek into the top 10?

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Prucha73 said:
How does being injured for most of the last season get Michalek into the top 10?

the list is the best prospect based on who they think will be the best nhler down the road, not a list of who had the best season last year...if you think that michalek is a top 10 prospect based on potential then he remains that regardless of his injury-filled season.

the only way the injury would change things imo is if you felt that the injury was so bad that he would now never reach that potential because of it, but if you think that he will fully recover then the injury becomes a non-issue imo

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
I would rank Zherdev higher than 6.We already know he can perform at that level
and is still very young with more development potential as well. Still huge potential
upside with little risk on the downside.There is some pretty good prospects there
though isn't there?

Prucha73

NYR469 said:
the list is the best prospect based on who they think will be the best nhler down the road, not a list of who had the best season last year...if you think that michalek is a top 10 prospect based on potential then he remains that regardless of his injury-filled season.

the only way the injury would change things imo is if you felt that the injury was so bad that he would now never reach that potential because of it, but if you think that he will fully recover then the injury becomes a non-issue imo

I disagree, getting serious knee injuries and missing almost entire season does have effect on his development and his potential, when a player plays 2 games in NHL and gets a serious injury you have to question how he will handle NHL games in the future. At this point he has no business in the top 50. Being out with an injury the whole season is worse than playing and having a really bad season. And I believe he suffered one injury in the NHL and another in the AHL.

Drafted with the sixth pick in the 2003 NHL Entry Draft, Milan Michalek looked set for a fine rookie season in North America, before it came apart at the ligament seams.

After an impressive training camp, the 6’2†220-pound winger cracked the Sharks line-up as a 19-year-old, scoring a goal in his first NHL game playing nearly 11 minutes. Midway into his second game, Michalek injured his right knee falling awkwardly after being checked.

With an original timetable of four to five months, Michalek made his return Jan. 23, this time with AHL affiliate Cleveland Barons. The Czech sat out the Barons game the following night, but went on to play in the Barons next five games. In his seventh game with the Barons Feb. 7, due for recall to San Jose the next day, he re-injured his knee while completing a common hockey stop. Michalek’s season was over with two goals and two assists in seven games for Cleveland, and a goal in two games for San Jose.

Considered the most NHL ready prospect in the 2003 draft due to his combination of skill and physical maturity, Michalek’s injuries came unexpectedly. As long as the knee returns to 100 percent, or close, he should become a future first or second line forward providing two-way awareness, needed playmaking and some goal-scoring as well. Michalek will probably start 2004-05 in Cleveland, especially considering there may be an NHL lockout

Last edited by a moderator:

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
i didn't say it wasn't bad for his development, but that doesn't change the fact that if you think he will fully recover and will still reach his full potential then it is a non-factor. the list isn't about who made the most progress last year

Prucha73

NYR469 said:
i didn't say it wasn't bad for his development, but that doesn't change the fact that if you think he will fully recover and will still reach his full potential then it is a non-factor. the list isn't about who made the most progress last year

It changes the fact that he AT THIS POINT does not belong in the top 50 prospect list, only put him back there when he comes back and shows that he can still play. How can you be sure he will ever be 100% again with 2 injuries on the same knee in one season? And even if he does come back, he lost over a season of hockey, don't you think that will have some effect on his game? How do you justify him being in the top 10 I have no idea.

TML

Dec 13, 2003
Hamilton
1. Ovechkin
2. Lehtonen
3. Zherdev
4. Malkin
5. Phaneuf
6. Fleury
7. Horton
8. Suter
9. Michalek
10. Vanek

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Reveille said:
I think it's pretty much consensus that:

Lehtonen > Fleury

at this point.

Agree. Lehtonen is the best goalie prospect in years. Fleury in my view was lucky to go 1st overall and won't in my view be a franchise netminder.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
I would have it:

Ovechkin
Lehtonen
Zherdev
Phaneuf
Malkin
Suter (interchangable with Horton)
Horton (see above)
Fleury
Michalek
Vanek

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
J17ster said:
Agree. Lehtonen is the best goalie prospect in years. Fleury in my view was lucky to go 1st overall and won't in my view be a franchise netminder.

I think he'll be a solid starting goalie. I don't think he'll be this hyped Hall of Famer, but a solid starter. And you know what? That's fine with a pick up there. The Pens haven't had luck drafting a goalie in a while, anyway so kudos to them.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Reveille said:
I think he'll be a solid starting goalie. I don't think he'll be this hyped Hall of Famer, but a solid starter. And you know what? That's fine with a pick up there. The Pens haven't had luck drafting a goalie in a while, anyway so kudos to them.

For the pens i can understand why they took him as they do need a decent goalie but he wasn't the best player available in the 03 draft. He should have fairly good NHL career but he is being hyped way too much.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
I'd put it like this....

1) Ovechkin - No doubt here, Lehtonen had a fabulous year in the AHL last year, but this kid is just unreal.
2) Lehtonen - Great prospect, this list is packed with them this year, but he had an incredible run with the Wolves last year, and was stellar in this NHL stint, no doubt here either.
3) Zherdev - I had to put him over Malkin just due to the fact he was the most amazing rookie to watch last year (aside from Ruutu) just magical with the puck one of the best games I saw last year was C-bus against the Flames, he just made guys look silly.
4) Malkin - I haven't seen any of him except WJC last year, so I'm going mostly of reports, and they all sound great.
5) Horton - Underrated IMO, he did hurt himself, but man he was great last year, it didn't take him long to become the biggest threat in Florida last year, it'll continue.
6) Phanuef - I'm biased, but this kids a rock, and has an absolute laser from the point, should be in the NHL right now, won't be rushed, but you can't hold him back, has really found his offense, on draft day I though he was going to continue being a Woywitka clone, nevermind that.
7) Suter - Strangely got the same injury as Phaneuf at almost the same time. Will forever be compared to the rest of the 'Big 3' and it will be all good here, him and Phaneuf should have the WJC allstar team D spots locked up.
8) Michalek - Underrated, if he hadn't have gotten hurt he would be well off this list, he can do it all so to speak, great both ways, and in a great situation, could have picked a better organization to develop him.
9) Vanek - Mad skills, just an offensive dynamo.
10) Fleury - A superior prospect, I don't think he'll ever be the 'best' goalie in the league (may cop a Vezina though) will continually be a top-5 keep in the league though, I don't see his ceiling as high as others do, but I think he has a really high floor.

JSmith81x

Your weapon is guilt
Dec 20, 2002
Visit site
01. Aleksandr Ovechkin
02. Kari Lehtonen
3a. Nikolai Zherdev
3b. Evgeny Malkin
05. Marc-André Fleury
06. Nathan Horton
07. Dion Phaneuf
08. Thomas Vanek