Who're the top SEL prospects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brain Hemorrhage

Jan 16, 2003
Boston, MA
Alexander Steen (leafs), Magnus Kahnberg (canes), Frans Nilson (Islanders), loui erickson (stars), etc....

how would you rank the top guys in the SEL? Am I reaching by saying Frans Nilsson the Dane is worth of being top 10? Hes not listed on the eliteprospects.com top 100 cuz he is Danish... only swedish players make the list.

Basically, I want to know where Nilson stands about the rest of these young men.

Brain Hemorrhage

Jan 16, 2003
Boston, MA
That is Robert Nilsson. I am talking about Frans Nielsen. Sorry about that misspelling. Part of that was my fault.

Frans Nielsen was the Isles 3rd rnd pick in 2002. He is from Denmark (Danish) and thus is not eligible for the eliteprospects.com Top 100. Only Swedish players are on that... which is somewhat silly in my opinion. They have a profile on him on the site but no ranking... But hell, I am just thankful they put in any effort at all to cover SEL prospects for us NA folks.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=210

I've honestly only seen two of his games, and I never like to give out my own scouting reports on players after seeing only two games. Doing that is akin to playing a simplified verse in a complicated melody... However, one person said he has amazing skating ability, the ability to turn around a defense, and probably his best asset overall. Several people say he 'Doesn't seem physical' and question his ability to adapt to the NA game. He's known as a good passer and if he makes the NHL he will be the first Danish-born player to do so.

Also, for those too lazy to click his profile:
As a 19 year old his stats in the SEL were: 2003-2004 MIF Redhawks SEL 50 9 7 16 28

I thought that was pretty impressive for a 19 year old and felt that would put him right near the top of the SEL in terms of top NHL prospects... but I havent heard too many people agree. or Disagree for that matter.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
comparing him only to SEL prospects I would personally have him at No. 8
(after Steen, Eriksson, Lundqvist, Jonsson, Kahnberg, Liv, Hagos)

Slime

Mar 30, 2003
Sweden
Predatore said:
comparing him only to SEL prospects I would personally have him at No. 8
(after Steen, Eriksson, Lundqvist, Jonsson, Kahnberg, Liv, Hagos)

You mean Robert Nilsson instead of Lundqvist, right?

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
nope, Henrik Lundqvist.

Nilsson is not even playing in the SEL so he is not even considered in this "equation" :)

leafaholix*

NLA is a hockey league in Switzerland.

He left about 25 games into the Elite League season.

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
I would rank Frans somewhere between 10 and 20, however some of those prospects are turning 25 (!) this year.

NLA stands for National Liga A, NLB is National Liga B.

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
Macabre said:
Where would you rank my favorite prospect, Tobias Enstrom?

I would personally have him around 10-12.

Brain Hemorrhage,
You could perhaps get an answer at the swiss board. I am not an expert on the Swiss league but it is likely at least one level below SM-Liiga (Finland), SEL and the RSL.

There are some great foreigners playing there, but seeing as there is a limit for amount of foreign players on the team the team depth is nowhere near the same as in the other leagues. But the best players in the NLA are just as good, if not better, than in the other european leagues.
Some quality players.. (by European standards): Kimmo Rintanen, Petter Nummelin, Mike Maneluk, Jonas Höglund, Christian Dube, Sebastien Bordeleau, Ville Peltonen, Hnat Domenichelli, Oleg Petrov, Jean-Yves Trudel, Jukka Hentunen etc.

Robertsson 4-ever

Jan 26, 2004
Wexio
Gabriel Knight said:
I'd put the swiss league down on the third level.
1. NHL
2. SM-league,SEL,RSL
3. Swiss, AHL

The AHL is definetly better then the Swiss league, thats for sure. Not as good as the SEL or SM-league but almost.

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
Gabriel Knight said:
1. NHL
2. SM-league,SEL,RSL
3. Swiss, AHL

SEL is by far a better league today than SM-league in Finland.
The best finnish players plays in Sweden for example(all finnish players who play in SEL say that, for example Tomi Kallio, Mika Lehtinen or Fredrik Norrena).
And there´s a bunch more teams who are quite good in SEL, everyone can beat everyone.

Gabriel Knight

Jan 6, 2004
Finland
Visit site
rivercanyon said:
SEL is by far a better league today than SM-league in Finland.
The best finnish players plays in Sweden for example(all finnish players who play in SEL say that, for example Tomi Kallio, Mika Lehtinen or Fredrik Norrena).
And there´s a bunch more teams who are quite good in SEL, everyone can beat everyone.

Meh, each to his own.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
Gabriel Knight said:
1. NHL
2. SM-league,SEL,RSL
3. Swiss, AHL

Just to be slightly argumentative, I will throw out the question of why we should rate the AHL in the third level. I have never seen an RSL game, and nothing from Europe in about a decade, so it's not like I have any first-hand knowledge to go with.

However, the basis of my argument would go something like this: Most star players coming over from those leagues (e.g. Somervuori, Santala this year) are unable to be star players in the AHL. Many generic players from the AHL go over and have pretty good success in those leagues. On that basis, I'm sure some people would at least tend to place them on a level, and others would be tempted to rate the AHL higher.

Sorry, not a very fully-fleshed argument, and I don't have the time to add much research on it... so instead I turn it over to you all to help out... I'm neutral and willing to be persuaded either way...

Gabriel Knight

Jan 6, 2004
Finland
Visit site
Blind Gardien said:
However, the basis of my argument would go something like this: Most star players coming over from those leagues (e.g. Somervuori, Santala this year) are unable to be star players in the AHL. Many generic players from the AHL go over and have pretty good success in those leagues. On that basis, I'm sure some people would at least tend to place them on a level, and others would be tempted to rate the AHL higher.

I would put that down on the different field sizes.For most players it will interfere with their game a lot.

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
Blind Gardien said:
Just to be slightly argumentative, I will throw out the question of why we should rate the AHL in the third level. I have never seen an RSL game, and nothing from Europe in about a decade, so it's not like I have any first-hand knowledge to go with.

I wouldn´t rate the AHL lower either - equal perhaps, different definately.

But there are a greater deal of players from the AHL that have failed in the SEL over the years, despite putting up good numbers back home. On the other hand there aren´t that many north american skaters in Sweden, Kent Manderville being the only one who played this season to the end. The other two were sacked - Jinman & Savoia.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->