Whom do you cheer for most... the players or the team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mackdogs*

When the Oilers score I don't go 'hey who was it?' and if it was Smyth or Torres or Hemsky I will cheer, otherwise I'll go about my day. Of course not!! I jump around like a monkey out of his cage and after a couple minutes find out who it was. I'm happier than a pig in **** because my team is 1 goal better than they were before.

It's all about the team, whether they are contending for the President's trophy or the Ovechkin sweepstakes. Players are always second in my books.

djhn579

Mar 11, 2003
Tonawanda, NY
scaredsensfan said:
Please elaborate on what you mean by 'cheering for the Buffalo Sabres'.

What/who are the Buffalo Sabres if the players are insignficant?

What exactly does 'cheering for the Buffalo Sabres' entail if the players do not factor in your decision to cheer for the Sabres? IF the players werent there, what would you cheer for?

Answer my questions, if you can (and I mean rationally, please).

If you want a rational answer, why don't you ask rational questions.

I cheer for the Buffalo Sabres. Period, end of story. You could take the best players in NHL history, put them in Sabres uniforms, and I will cheer for them. You could also take the worst players in NHL history, put them in Sabres uniforms, and I will still cheer for them. It doesn't matter who wears the uniform. The "TEAM" is a matter of community pride. Some times they do real good, some times they do real bad, but they are still part of the community.

The actual players just fill a roll. Some are here one season and gone the next. Once they are gone, I have only a passing interest in how they do elsewhere. I don't go to games to see a specific player. I go because I want to see my team win.

Should I assume that if one day the Senators lose Alfredson, Chara, Spezza, Hossa, and Havlat that you will be changing your username since the players are no longer on that team? How did you go about choosing your username? Why didn't you use your favorite players name?

SENSible1*

Agents still don't get it.

If negotiations fail in the next few weeks, NHL commissioner Gary Bettman could begin steps to declaring an impasse with the National Labour Relations Board.

"If you've got replacement players playing in Toronto and a players league down the road in Hamilton with guys like Mats Sundin, Joe Thornton and Jaromir Jagr on the ice, which would you rather pay to watch?" asked Barry.

Disaster for the NHL?

The results of this poll should be forwarded to Mr. Barry. Perhaps then he'd have a little better understanding of the perilous position Mr. Goodenow has placed his clients in.

justapantherfan

Mar 12, 2002
Sunrise, Fl
www.simplaying.com
This is the reason why I cheer for my favorite team, players come and go. I got tired of getting a new jersey just about every year because a player was traded or left. I bought one had my name put on it and that's it.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Some of you must know the old kid's story called 'the sweater'. A youngster in Québec asks his mom for a sweater who orders a Habs jersey through the mail. When the sweater arrives, it is accompanied by a note 'out of stock, replacement enclosed'. This was back in the days when the Habs/Leafs represented the #1 rivalry in the sport.

Much to the kid's horror, ...the replacement is a Leafs jersey. So he shows up at the rink with everyone else wearing Habs jerseys and him wearing his new Leafs jersey. Needless to say how it goes over.

The sweater for me, represents all the players who have ever worn it. It represents what they accomplished as a player & more importantly as a team. A Habs jersey is Jean Beliveau, The Rocket, Guy, Larry Robinson, Toe Blake, Howie Morenz, Patrick Roy......A Leafs jersey is Darryl Sittler, Dave Keon, Johnny Bower, Borje Salming, Turk Broda....A Hawks jersey is Bobby Hull, Stan Mikita, Tony Esposito, Ed Belfour....A Penguin jersey is Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Ron Francis, Pierre Larouche, Tom Barrasso, Paul Coffey....etc

Players come and go but the sweaters/teams and their legacies live on.

Roots73

TMLTP- ITS IN THE GAME!
May 10, 2004
I don't know how many of you watched OTR yesterday with Landsberg and his panel of agents. Essentially this is what we are faced with. The league is likely to use "replacement" players while the players are threatening to start up their own league. Pat Brisson, Crosby's agent, basically put it out there by asking Landberg (paraphrasing here) " Which brand of hockey do you think fans want to watch? The NHL using UHL quality hockey players in Toronto or star quality players in Hamilton? " He believes that most fans won't support the NHL with replacement players and would rather watch the "Stars" play in their 5 or 6 team league. Keep on dreaming Pat.

Funny how Pat references a league where NHL players are pushing the normal UHL players out the door, in effect they are "Replacement" players. To him that is okay. Also it's okay that he would represent players in their own startup league. But it wouldn't be okay for him to represent a "Replacement" player in the "new" NHL. Smacks for utter hypocrisy to me.

Calorissi

Jan 16, 2004
Manotick
I have been a huge fan of the Ottawa Senators since their return to the NHL.
The first few years, there was precious little to cheer for in regards to player talent, but if the players that were there were willing to put it on the line for the JERSEY and the CITY then they were cheered loudly.

I did not care about the callibur of the player, or the name on his back. It did not matter which player scored, so long as a SENATOR scored, I was estatic. Players have come and gone. Some I was sad to see leave, some not so sad. Some new players did put an extra bit of excitement in the game. Do I cheer for the players, to a certain extent, but if it were different players, I would cheer just as loudly. If it were a different team, then I would enjoy the game, but not have near the excitement level even though there may be 'superstar' players on the ice.

I definately cheer for the team in Red, Black and Gold and yes there is a distinction.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
why are the players there?

scaredsensfan said:
This is a stupid question.

The teams and players are intertwined ,you cannot separate the two by idiotically saying 'I cheer for the logo!' or 'I cheer for the players!'

The logo has no meaning withotu a player to fill it. If you only cheered for the logo, and the players did not matter ,than you would be willing to spend 90 dollars to stare at a Leafs or Sens jersey lying on the ground for 3 hours.

Only delusional fans convince themselves that the players on their home team (Or their favourite team) have no bearing on them watching the games... most because of an irrational and petty jealousy against the players that provide them with excitement.

Most fans on here, ridiculously, would rather suppport Eugene Melnyk or Ed Snider DEPRIVING THEM COMPLETELY of hockey than the players getting a fair deal.

But with clowns on here that believe that their ticket prices are based on payrolls, I guess it makes 'sense to them'. But who should care what they think anyway, if they dont even understand basic concepts.

So all in all, this question is moot, because the things aren't really separable.

Ahh the money. Who pays the money? ...

Who owns a team in a particular town? Ahh the owners.

Do most fans enjoy watching there home town team, and could care less about other teams? Yes.

Now whos delusional?

windowlicker

Jun 17, 2003
Murky Wisconsin
Visit site
MOEBEAGLE said:
For all you that root for the team just remember there is no team without the players. You all remind me of the people that love the forest but hate trees. What logic. I am amazed with you logic ( no not you logic but lack of same ) :D :lol: It would be funny if it were not so pathetic.

And each time a player or players get traded, usually the fan base stays around to cheer for the team, not the departed player(s). Players come & go, the team stays constant. Is there something profoundly difficult to understand about that?

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
As a fan of the Expos and Islanders my whole life (all 33 years) I can emphatically say I root for the sweater not the player in it. Once that was not as true, but the last player whose career I followed after he left my team and whose presence on another team impacted which team was my second favorite team was Gary Carter. When he came back and retired an Expo, it had great emotional impact to me.

Today, I couldn't care less anymore who the players are on my teams. And believe me, being an Expos and Islanders fan in the mid and later 90s better qualifies me to talk about teams with replacement calibre players than anyone else. ;) :banghead:

With the days of players playing the bulk of their career with one team long gone, so is the fans devotion to a single player (who represents their team). The last one in our time is likely Super Mario (for reasons that are extraordinary). The last one in baseball was Ripkin.

As for the players being tied to the team, I agree. But I want a scoring power forward on the wing with my playmaking centre now. I really don't care what their names are anymore...

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
I don't really think this addresses the issue. I support the Rangers no matter who plays for them. But that support is contigent on the Rangers being part of the best hockey league in the world. If they aren't a part of that, then I won't support them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->