Tribute Whoah, Momma, He's a Magic Man!

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
Haven't got time to watch all of this, but seen a lot of them live.

Datsyuk was incredible. The slickness of his goals would match anyone in NHL history.

And, scoring goals doesn't even begin to tell the story of how good a player Pavel Datsyuk was.

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
Haven't got time to watch all of this, but seen a lot of them live.

Datsyuk was incredible. The slickness of his goals would match anyone in NHL history.

And, scoring goals doesn't even begin to tell the story of how good a player Pavel Datsyuk was.

I like this overview because it shows reality (IMO): Datsyuk had a great team around him - guys that could create the rushes and the traffic and feather those passes, and I bet if I parsed it out over half of the goals would be "goal by very skilled forward on a very skilled team #37" types. But the rest...

As Kenny coined - simply magic.

And a whole generation of new players grew up watching him and are now trying to emulate his style and results. What a great time to be a hockey fan.

DoMakc

Jun 28, 2006
I forgot how good he was at redirections.
He was somewhat unlucky, everybody played that archaic PP set up with two D, he would have scored way more as a bumper.

Fil Larkmanthanasiou

Feb 10, 2018
Defying the laws of physics

Attachments

• magic man.gif
    magic man.gif
    2 MB · Views: 1
Reactions: GoBoltz56

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
What's interesting is in the early clips how much room there is out there. It starts before the lockout so it's technically the dead puck era, but there's so much less slashing of the sticks and arms than there is now.

Reactions: dj4aces

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
What's interesting is in the early clips how much room there is out there. It starts before the lockout so it's technically the dead puck era, but there's so much less slashing of the sticks and arms than there is now.
That's a term I've heard but do not grok. Please explain to me "the dead puck era", James Kirk. Then, someday, I will follow you to the stars.

But seriously - what is that?

(and gorrammit, do I miss Doc Emrick.)

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
That's a term I've heard but do not grok. Please explain to me "the dead puck era", James Kirk. Then, someday, I will follow you to the stars.

But seriously - what is that?

(and gorrammit, do I miss Doc Emrick.)
It was the the period, starting around the 1994 lockout and ending sometime after the 2004 lockout, where scoring had declined. If I recall correctly, before the lockout, scoring was ~7 g/game. By the 2004 lockout, it was down to ~5g/game. It was almost as if some guys forgot what the net is for and how to put the puck in it.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
It was the the period, starting around the 1994 lockout and ending sometime after the 2004 lockout, where scoring had declined. If I recall correctly, before the lockout, scoring was ~7 g/game. By the 2004 lockout, it was down to ~5g/game. It was almost as if some guys forgot what the net is for and how to put the puck in it.

Yeah, there was the Devils trap, and insane clutching and crappin going on. Like only guy who was able to play against that shit was Jagr who could still go on even if 3 guys are hooking on him at same time.

Red Wings played mostly skill hockey even on that era, so I'm very happy I became their fan. Think the skill and russians (and their European-styled puck-posession skill) was the biggest factor.

Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota

Ahh, thanks. I didn't start paying attention to hockey at all until around 1993, and my buddy Kevin turned me into a fan around 1995. My timing was perfect. :)

I remember the "left wing lock" days and was not sorry to see them go away.

dj4aces

An Intricate Piece of Infinity
Dec 17, 2007
Duluth, GA
Ahh, thanks. I didn't start paying attention to hockey at all until around 1993, and my buddy Kevin turned me into a fan around 1995. My timing was perfect. :)

It was maddening to watch teams like the Devils play the neutral zone trap.

As an aside, I wish the NHL Vault was still a thing. On nights I have a hard time falling asleep, pulling up an old Devils game would be a great way to get past the insomnia!

• Haha
Reactions: Lazlo Hollyfeld

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

Then you actually started watching at the beginning of the dead puck era, but had no reference point to compare it to. There was the trap, the left wing lock, but even worse was the level of hooking and clutching and grabbing that was allowed.

Guys would have their stick parallel to the ice in front of a player's waist and just waterski behind them.

These days I think the level of stick checking and smacks to the arms has gotten to insane levels. Then add how everyone is coached to have sticks in lanes and block shots and it makes for a lot of ugly hockey (think Carolina). It happens so slowly over the years that it's the boiling frog situation. It's not until I see clips from different eras that it's apparent how bad it's gotten.

Reactions: dj4aces

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
Then you actually started watching at the beginning of the dead puck era, but had no reference point to compare it to. There was the trap, the left wing lock, but even worse was the level of hooking and clutching and grabbing that was allowed.

Guys would have their stick parallel to the ice in front of a player's waist and just waterski behind them.

These days I think the level of stick checking and smacks to the arms has gotten to insane levels. Then add how everyone is coached to have sticks in lanes and block shots and it makes for a lot of ugly hockey (think Carolina). It happens so slowly over the years that it's the boiling frog situation. It's not until I see clips from different eras that it's apparent how bad it's gotten.
You're probably right about when I started. When I grew up in Connecticut I watched a lot of baseball (Yankees!) and my dad was a baseball - basketball - football guy, in that order. I had a buddy who was kind of a Whalers fan but I never watched any hockey. Fast forward to 1992 Michigan and I had a friend and then housemate who was a SPORTS fan and he watched it all (and played some beer league hockey and rugby). So I was probably absorbing a lot from him even before he sat me down and explained that I was a closeted hockey fan and didn't want to admit it. By then the Wings were really good and getting better so he said it was a great time to learn how to watch the game. That was the Fair St. house in A2 I think. Nice basement in that house - hosted a lot of LAN parties there for Doom, Descent, and Hexen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad