Who would you take 1st overall?

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I would pick either Voracek or Esposito.

And is Angelo really from Montreal? For some very odd reason, I always thought he was from Saskatchewan...

HFNHL Canadiens

Aug 12, 2004
Guelph
Espo is from Montreal.

And i doubt either Bashkirov goes 1st round as of now.

David Stich, who is a euro will likely go 1st round and there are 2 other Q prospects who id have ahead of the Bashkirov's for 1st round, Keven Vielleux and Logan MacMillan.
you wouldn't think so eh? The kid has flawless english.

I would put money on Angelo going 1st overall. He would be my pick for 1st anyways. I may be overrating Sam Gagner but I would take this kid if Angelo was gone. I love what I have seen from him, he possesses Gretzky like vision imo.

P.S, Blue Bullet, you may wanna change your avatar, because I am pretty sure your wrong about Alzner going 1st.

bullsville

May 13, 2006
I think Voracek will be the 1
By the way how good is Esposito and what type of player he could be?

Blue Bullet

Feb 27, 2002
Bon Accord, AB
Visit site
P.S, Blue Bullet, you may wanna change your avatar, because I am pretty sure your wrong about Alzner going 1st.

I never said he would. I just said that he is my choice at this time. I just think he is most well-rounded player out of the top guys in the draft. He has size, is good in his own zone and is putting up almost a PPG. However, I don't have him that much ahead of the guys right behind him (Voracek, Esposito, Gagner, JVR, Couture, Turris, Hammill). But its only a quarter way through the season and I'll probably change my mind about ten times anyway. Just remember at this time last year EJ wasn't supposed to go 1st overall either.

turnbuckle*

This isn't a Crosby draft - there's no clear cut number one.

Right now I'd say the early favourites are Espo, Voracek, Alzner and Ellerby. That doesn't mean Kane, Gagner, or even a darkhorse like Korostin (who really impressed at the Junior A challenge) might not end up on top before June.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
I never said he would. I just said that he is my choice at this time. I just think he is most well-rounded player out of the top guys in the draft. He has size, is good in his own zone and is putting up almost a PPG. However, I don't have him that much ahead of the guys right behind him (Voracek, Esposito, Gagner, JVR, Couture, Turris, Hammill). But its only a quarter way through the season and I'll probably change my mind about ten times anyway. Just remember at this time last year EJ wasn't supposed to go 1st overall either.

It obviously comes down to preference in the draft, and while I do like Alzner's skill and two way package, he is not a dynamic player (those being the types that are selected top three). However, if a team is fine with getting a rock solid, smooth, two way defenseman he can certainly go high. From what I've seen Alzner reminds me alot of Sergei Zubov. But is he an EJ? JJ? He doesn't really have that bite, competitiveness, or pedigree that goes along with such a high pick.

Personally, Juraj Valach is someone barely mentioned but high on my list. As a means of comparison, I don't know where Alex Plante places in rankings but Valach is lightyears better than Plante.

Last edited:

Blue Bullet

Feb 27, 2002
Bon Accord, AB
Visit site
From what I've seen Alzner reminds me alot of Sergei Zubov. But is he an EJ? JJ? He doesn't really have that bite, competitiveness, or pedigree that goes along with such a high pick.

In a normal draft year I would agree but this is a fairly weak draft in terms of top-end talent. If you compare it to last year the top 6-7 players in 2006 are better than any of the players this year.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I'll be interested to see where teams have Van Riemsdyk rated by the end of the season. If he gets named to the U20 WJC team, which I think has a good chance of happening-AND has a decent tourney he could really a be a riser. He has all the tools and has many of the intangibles team are looking for.

Mr.Sinister

Feb 2, 2003
Visit site
Can't Someone make a poll? I would if I knew how.

I think the Top 10 guys to choose from are:

Alzner, Karl
Backlund, Mikael
Couture, Logan
Ellerby, Keaton
Esposito, Angelo
Gagner, Sam
Hoeffel, Mike
Kane, Patrick
Petrecki, Nick
Voracek, Jakub

Crosby=Gretzky

Dec 7, 2004
i lost myself
Can't Someone make a poll? I would if I knew how.

I think the Top 10 guys to choose from are:

Alzner, Karl
Backlund, Mikael
Couture, Logan
Ellerby, Keaton
Esposito, Angelo
Gagner, Sam
Hoeffel, Mike
Kane, Patrick
Petrecki, Nick
Voracek, Jakub

I really don't think Backlund should be a candidate for top 10 as of now. He has played bad for the senoir team, got sent down, and had a bad U-18 Four Nations tournamnet (1 assist IIRC). I'd rather have Van Riemsdyk.
Then you can discuss if Hoeffel should be top 10; He has had a bad start for the NTDP. He'll be back on track soon, but not rise to a top 10 spot.

My pick for 1st Overall would be Jakub Voracek as of now.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
No love for Sam Gagner? Wow, that's real odd. That would be my choice. Comes from good bloodlines and his dad was a very good player.
watched an interview with the dave gagner and he said he wasn't a very good hockey player.i grew up watching him with the stars,leafs etc. and i think we was good enough to stay in the nhl and thats about it.

Roger's Pancreas*

I don't want to be the putz who takes a third line player first overall so I'd pick Backlund.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->