Who would you take 1st overall?

Blue Bullet

Feb 27, 2002
Bon Accord, AB
Visit site
This year's draft is so wide open that it could be anybody's guess who will go 1st overall. At this point in the year Voracek seems to be the scouting community's pick but I think Kessel was also their choice at this time last year, so a lot can change in a few months. So my question is who would you take if you had the 1st overall pick in the 2007 draft.

My choice would be Karl Alzner.

PuckheadMcGillycuddy

Aug 12, 2002
This year's draft is so wide open that it could be anybody's guess who will go 1st overall. At this point in the year Voracek seems to be the scouting community's pick but I think Kessel was also their choice at this time last year, so a lot can change in a few months. So my question is who would you take if you had the 1st overall pick in the 2007 draft.

My choice would be Karl Alzner.

And you would be laughed out of Nationwide Arena by all the GMs and scouts in attendance for not trading down about six or seven spots and still being able to get Alzner.

I'd take Voracek -- I think he has the highest upside, though he's not necessarily the safest pick.

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site

I think Couture's play this season has moved him away from rather than towards a first overall pick. He's a very solid all-round center, but he doesn't have that gamebreaking offensive ability that you want out of a number 1 pick, or a number 1 center for that matter. he'll definitely be a top 10 pick though.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Hmm. Don't know. I like his game a lot. He reminds me of a "mature" version of Sakic or Yzerman. By mature, I mean pretty well rounded. Not the offensive dynamos when they were younger, but fairly solid in all three zones.

Seachd

Mar 16, 2002
And you would be laughed out of Nationwide Arena by all the GMs and scouts in attendance for not trading down about six or seven spots and still being able to get Alzner.

Probably one of the most absurd posts I've seen here in a while.

vcx*

I'd trade the pick and a player to get the 2nd & 3rd picks to draft the twins. They have some pretty damn good talent, one is pretty short though compared to the other but they are going to be good if they continue their progress.

ReLyT

Fantasy Canadian Hockey League Commissioner
Jul 28, 2005
London, Ontario
fantasysimhockey.com
I think Couture's play this season has moved him away from rather than towards a first overall pick. He's a very solid all-round center, but he doesn't have that gamebreaking offensive ability that you want out of a number 1 pick, or a number 1 center for that matter. he'll definitely be a top 10 pick though.

He's playing with mono, his game will be downed a bit...

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
You'd still have to put an extra nickel on Esposito if youre a betting man. Right now I say him. He's showing that he puts up points without Radulov

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
I'd trade the pick and a player to get the 2nd & 3rd picks to draft the twins. They have some pretty damn good talent, one is pretty short though compared to the other but they are going to be good if they continue their progress.

Are you talking about the Bashkirovs?

Anyway, I take Esposito, though his game probably won't translate as smoothly as Voracek's.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
Right now i take Voracek but i wouldnt be surprised to see a big nasty d-man like Petricki chasing the number 1 spot come draft day.

KaptainKourage*

Look like the Q will have a nice draft with Voracek, the Bashikrov and Esposito. No one of them are Quebecois though

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Kyle Turris.

In a relatively weak draft of top end talent this year --Turris stands out with exceptional ability ..I think he's the only "special" forward in this draft...

Note that Redline finally has come around to my earlier opinion of this...rates Turris #6 (would be highest BCHL player ever taken) ...Turris has Havlat-like skills but because he plays in an inferior league it is very hard for some scouts to get obver their CHL prejuidices--still this such a weak draft at the top for forwards--that I think the scouts will be REQUIRED to look to BCHL talent for more first round material (Casey Pierro-Zabotel and Ben Winnnet should alsobe 1st rounders somewhere in the draft).

Couture has been definitely hampered by mono--we'll see if he has a stronge 2nnd half and play as well as he did last season..but even though he is good 2-ways and has lots of hockey sense,he is not a great skater--in a good top end draft year--I don't know if he'd be top ten material --neither would Gagner or Esposito in my opinion--they are more like 10-15 ability picks of that kind of year--but this draft is so weak at the top that they drop into the top ten..

Turris however could be special--remember Havlat was drafted 26th in his draft year--Obviously the Ottawa scouts either got lucky or had hs talent projected right whereas others saw a shorter skinnier kid at the time and couldn't project out his growth in size..whether Turris can also spurt--I don't know--and definitiely he will need to put on weight --een for the "New NHL"...but I'm sure he'll add 20 lbs of muscle in the Wisconsin weight room when he goes there next season--so that 2 years in that program will probaly have him as a 190lb player after his soph season--he's probably going to be so good that I don't think he''ll get to his Jr. yr. --the NHL team drafting him may think he can turm pro after his soph season--but certainly I predict he won't stay there past 3 seasons (AFTER HIS jr. YEAR)...

Last edited:

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
I haven't seen enough of all the candidates yet, but I'll go with Esposito of the ones who I do feel like I know well enough. (i.e. out of basically Espo + OHL players).

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Look like the Q will have a nice draft with Voracek, the Bashikrov and Esposito. No one of them are Quebecois though

Espo is from Montreal.

And i doubt either Bashkirov goes 1st round as of now.

David Stich, who is a euro will likely go 1st round and there are 2 other Q prospects who id have ahead of the Bashkirov's for 1st round, Keven Vielleux and Logan MacMillan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->