Mike Komarisek or Carlo Colaiacovo

Alexander Steen or Loui Eriksson

Christian Berglund or Pavol Brendl

Mine:
Hannu Toivonnen or Stefan Liv

Zherdev or Vanek

leafaholix*

Freaky Habs Fan said:
I don't understand how some people can take Colaiacovo avoer Komisarek. I'm not a Homer but Komi seem to be a better player then Carlo...
You obviously are a homer.

leafaholix*

I find it strange how some people choose Loui Eriksson over Alexander Steen.

Especially when they're really basing it on one being a Leafs prospect and the other not being a Leafs prospect. It's odd because I'm sure most of the people choosing Loui over Steen haven't seen either play... or haven't followed Eriksson.

Beakermania*

Andrei Kasistyin or Robbie Schrempf

Marek Svatos or Joseph Balej

Denis Grebeshov or Dion Phaneuf

Kirril Kolstov or Filip Novak

Steve Ott or Derek Roy

Stanislav Chistov or Ales Hemsky

Jani Rita or Jason Chimera

Scotty Upshall or Steve Bernier

Ilya Bryzgalov or Jason Bacashihua

Jussi Jokinen or Antti Miettinen

Matt Nickerson or Mike Egener

Lukas Kraijcek or Ron Hainsey

Last edited by a moderator:

Rowsdower

Jan 13, 2003
Arizona Bay
Visit site
Andrei Kasistyin or Robbie Schremp

Steve Ott or Derek Roy

[B}Alexander Steen[/B] or Loui Eriksson

Twist and Shout

Dec 30, 2003
Calgary, Alberta
Andrei Kasistyin or Robbie Schremp
Steve Ott or Derek Roy

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Leafaholix said:
I find it strange how some people choose Loui Eriksson over Alexander Steen.

Especially when they're really basing it on one being a Leafs prospect and the other not being a Leafs prospect. It's odd because I'm sure most of the people choosing Loui over Steen haven't seen either play... or haven't followed Eriksson.

I've followed both, I checked the recap/boxcore after each Frolunda game, I've done my research over the course of the season. I've asked Swedish insiders for info. I've even seen some video clips of Frolunda and Loui. That's as close as you can follow a team and its including players without watching.

The fact why I think Steen is getting more votes is not because he is a Leafs prospect, that's quite ignorance to say. In fact, he's getting a lot more hype than Loui and his name is mentioned on a more frequent base here at HF. Why I think people would or could vote for Loui, is that at a younger age (1 year, 2 months and 16 days to be exact), he is nearly providing the same impact for his team. That, while getting seemingly less icetime. Loui scored 8 goals in 46 games (gpg 0.174) in his rookie season. Alexander Steen didn't score more untill his 3rd season in the SEL, scoring 10 goals in 48 games (gpg 0.208). That, and Loui was an instant force and crucial member of Frolunda in his rookie playoffs, something Steen didn't exactly was untill again, his 3rd season n the SEL.

Loui Eriksson's rookie year:

Season ... 46 games - 08 goals - 05 assists for 13 points (ppg of 0.283)
Playoffs .. 10 games - 01 goals - 06 assists for 07 points (ppg of 0.700)

This was mostly with very limited time on the lower lines (as most rookies usually start out in the SEL), but Loui appeared to make something happen whenever he was on the ice, clearly making the most of his time. His icetime increased as the season went on, and finished the season on a very strong note, while continueing that line in the playoffs. As a result, Loui was named the SEL rookie of the year.

Alexander Steen's rookie year:

Season ... 26 games - 00 goals - 03 assists for 03 points (ppg of 0.115)
Playoffs .. 10 games - 01 goals - 02 assists for 03 points (ppg of 0.300)

Alexander Steen's sophomore season, actually his first full season in the SEL:

Season ... 45 games - 05 goals - 10 assists for 15 points (ppg of 0.333)
Playoffs .. 16 games - 02 goals - 03 assists for 05 points (ppg of 0.313)

The fact remains that these two are Sweden's #1 and #2 prospects. That is why I made the comparison in the first place, as well as being teammates. It isn't strange to prefer Loui over Steen, the difference is far to close to say that. All that said, I did vote for Steen too, but only because he is increasing his totals every season and seems like the safer bet for now. Loui has yet to show that his outstanding rookie season wasn't a fluke.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Steve Ott or Derek Roy

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Leafaholix said:
Especially when they're really basing it on one being a Leafs prospect and the other not being a Leafs prospect.

Yeah, that's it! If you have a driver's license, I suggest calling Oscar-Meyer in regards to a job. You'd be perfect driving the weinermobile.

leafaholix*

Modano = Dud said:
I've followed both, I checked the recap/boxcore after each Frolunda game, I've done my research over the course of the season. I've asked Swedish insiders for info. I've even seen some video clips of Frolunda and Loui. That's as close as you can follow a team and its including players without watching.

The fact why I think Steen is getting more votes is not because he is a Leafs prospect, that's quite ignorance to say. In fact, he's getting a lot more hype than Loui and his name is mentioned on a more frequent base here at HF. Why I think people would or could vote for Loui, is that at a younger age (1 year, 2 months and 16 days to be exact), he is nearly providing the same impact for his team. That, while getting seemingly less icetime. Loui scored 8 goals in 46 games (gpg 0.174) in his rookie season. Alexander Steen didn't score more untill his 3rd season in the SEL, scoring 10 goals in 48 games (gpg 0.208). That, and Loui was an instant force and crucial member of Frolunda in his rookie playoffs, something Steen didn't exactly was untill again, his 3rd season n the SEL.

Loui Eriksson's rookie year:

Season ... 46 games - 08 goals - 05 assists for 13 points (ppg of 0.283)
Playoffs .. 10 games - 01 goals - 06 assists for 07 points (ppg of 0.700)

This was mostly with very limited time on the lower lines (as most rookies usually start out in the SEL), but Loui appeared to make something happen whenever he was on the ice, clearly making the most of his time. His icetime increased as the season went on, and finished the season on a very strong note, while continueing that line in the playoffs. As a result, Loui was named the SEL rookie of the year.

Alexander Steen's rookie year:

Season ... 26 games - 00 goals - 03 assists for 03 points (ppg of 0.115)
Playoffs .. 10 games - 01 goals - 02 assists for 03 points (ppg of 0.300)

Alexander Steen's sophomore season, actually his first full season in the SEL:

Season ... 45 games - 05 goals - 10 assists for 15 points (ppg of 0.333)
Playoffs .. 16 games - 02 goals - 03 assists for 05 points (ppg of 0.313)

The fact remains that these two are Sweden's #1 and #2 prospects. That is why I made the comparison in the first place, as well as being teammates. It isn't strange to prefer Loui over Steen, the difference is far to close to say that. All that said, I did vote for Steen too, but only because he is increasing his totals every season and seems like the safer bet for now. Loui has yet to show that his outstanding rookie season wasn't a fluke.
Alexander Steen was primarily the reason why Loui Eriksson put up 7 points in the playoffs. He started the season off as one of the top scorers in the Elite League when his coach decided to put him on the third line with a couple guys who were role players. Apparentely, Eriksson had a lot of bad games where as Steen seemed to play at a relatively high level either defensively or offensively in every game.

I've been following Frolunda religiously over the last 2 seasons... and Steen's become an apparent star in Sweden. Not at the level of Forsberg or Sundin, obviously, but he's been touted as the most promising Swedish player.

I also find it unfair to use Steen's stats as a 17 year old, as you have... and used Eriksson's statistics as an 18 year old.

Alexander Steen...

Season: 2002/2003
Regular season: 45 games, 5 goals, 10 assists, 15 points
Playoffs: 16 games, 2 goals, 3 assists, 5 points

Loui Eriksson...

Season: 2003/2004
Regular season: 46 games, 8 goals, 5 assists, 13 points
Playoffs: 10 games, 1 goal, 5 assists, 6 points

It could also be said that Steen was in the SEL at age 17 and Eriksson was not.

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Leafaholix said:
Alexander Steen was primarily the reason why Loui Eriksson put up 7 points in the playoffs. He started the season off as one of the top scorers in the Elite League when his coach decided to put him on the third line with a couple guys who were role players. Apparentely, Eriksson had a lot of bad games where as Steen seemed to play at a relatively high level either defensively or offensively in every game.

I've been following Frolunda religiously over the last 2 seasons... and Steen's become an apparent star in Sweden. Not at the level of Forsberg or Sundin, obviously, but he's been touted as the most promising Swedish player.

I also find it unfair to use Steen's stats as a 17 year old, as you have... and used Eriksson's statistics as an 18 year old.

Alexander Steen...

Season: 2002/2003
Regular season: 45 games, 5 goals, 10 assists, 15 points
Playoffs: 16 games, 2 goals, 3 assists, 5 points

Loui Eriksson...

Season: 2003/2004
Regular season: 46 games, 8 goals, 5 assists, 13 points
Playoffs: 10 games, 1 goal, 5 assists, 6 points

It could also be said that Steen was in the SEL at age 17 and Eriksson was not.

The fact that Steen was playing in the SEL at the age of 17 and not Loui is irrelevant. If anything, he already got a taste of what to expect in his first full season, yet he only posted 2 points more, while scoring less. It would be fair using both their seasons as an 18 year old like you said, but then I wouldn't understand why it is "strange" for one to pick Loui above Steen. There's not enough room between the two to warrant saying something like that..

leafaholix*

Modano = Dud said:
The fact that Steen was playing in the SEL at the age of 17 and not Loui is irrelevant. If anything, he already got a taste of what to expect in his first full season, yet he only posted 2 points more, while scoring less. It would be fair using both their seasons as an 18 year old like you said, but then I wouldn't understand why it is "strange" for one to pick Loui above Steen. There's not enough room between the two to warrant saying something like that..
It's strange when Montreal Canadiens fans select Loui Eriksson over Alexander Steen. I'm willing to be that 9 out of 10 Montreal fans haven't seen or even followed Loui Eriksson like you have and I have.

This thread is basically a popularity thread for a lot of people (including me) who haven't seen every single one of these prospects play. It all goes by scouting reports and player analysis' from fans who do watch them play on a regular basis.

And if that is true, then Steen should win decisively at this point.

No offence to Lou, because I've been a fan since watching him score that goal on Marc-Andre Fleury in an exhibition game vs. Canada last December. Extremely skilled player I think.

Beakermania*

Leafaholix said:
It's strange when Montreal Canadiens fans select Loui Eriksson over Alexander Steen. I'm willing to be that 9 out of 10 Montreal fans haven't seen or even followed Loui Eriksson like you have and I have.

And its not strange when you pick Coliacovo (shown little in any of his NHL games) over Komisarek (who looked real good in the playoffs).

We all have a bit of homerism in us, so don't be so critical when it u see it someone else.

P.S. i did go Steen over Loui

Ajacied

Stay strong Appie! ❤
Apr 6, 2002
Netherlands
Leafaholix said:

This thread is basically a popularity thread for a lot of people (including me) who haven't seen every single one of these prospects play. It all goes by scouting reports and player analysis' from fans who do watch them play on a regular basis.

And if that is true, then Steen should win decisively at this point.

No offence to Lou, because I've been a fan since watching him score that goal on Marc-Andre Fleury in an exhibition game vs. Canada last December. Extremely skilled player I think.

Fair enough. Don't forget I prefer Steen as well (as of this moment), just find it rather weird how you can say it's strange or odd to pick Loui. It's not like I am comparing Ryan Suter with Jan Platil, I am comparing the SEL rookie of the year, already ranked as the 2nd best prospect in Sweden, with the more highly touted and more proven #1.

BIG GIFS

Apr 29, 2004

Steve Ott or Derek Roy

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Modano = Dud said:
How is it irrelevant ?

Progression through the ranks is constantly brought up for European prospects.

i.e. - Malkin had x many goals are a rookie in the highest RSL league. Ovechkin at the age of 18 is an all-star in the SuperHighestSkyest League. (and before anyone jumps down my throat - I'm just giving totally fictious examples here)

Steen did make it to the SEL as a 17 year old, but to say that he should have had a good taste of what to expect is not right. You have to look at circumstances before assuming that the kid would become a seasoned veteran. Steen played 25-26 games in the SEL at the age of 17 and he received fourth line minutes.

There is significant room between Steen and Eriksson at this point IMO. Eriksson is on a torrid pace, and he COULD easily close the gap between the two, a year from now.

There are no significant weaknesses in Steen's game (perhaps his acceleration) whereas Eriksson is more raw and will definitely need to refine his game.

He needs to become stronger because from what I've seen most of his goals are "garbage" goals (not a knock on the kid, it takes some degree of skill to score these kind of goals). He is not the kind of player to generate much offense on the rush or through his shot, even though he is a great skater. He's a mucker. A mucker, that won't get that kind of room and space in the NHL.

As well, Steen has a much more well-rounded game; something that Eriksson needs to work on (i.e. defensive side of things - he is definitely not as good as Steen. I haven't heard any negative things on his leadership, but nothing overtly positive unlike Steen).

As it CURRENTLY stands, Steen is a possible second line two-way centre with first line, future captain potential. Eriksson is a possible third line winger, with second line potential.

leafaholix*

Beakermania said:
And its not strange when you pick Coliacovo (shown little in any of his NHL games) over Komisarek (who looked real good in the playoffs).

We all have a bit of homerism in us, so don't be so critical when it u see it someone else.

P.S. i did go Steen over Loui
There is a definate homerism in everybody... but to select a player because his opponent in a poll is a rival prospect is beyond homerist. I'm sure a lot of Habs fans (and even Leaf fans) would look at a thread like this and select Eriksson over Steen... or Schremp over Kastsitsyn.

Not because they truly feel player x is better then player y, but because they hate a certain team player y represents.

Nothing new, but it really pisses me off.

Beakermania*

Leafaholix said:
There is a definate homerism in everybody... but to select a player because his opponent in a poll is a rival prospect is beyond homerist. I'm sure a lot of Habs fans (and even Leaf fans) would look at a thread like this and select Eriksson over Steen... or Schremp over Kastsitsyn.

Not because they truly feel player x is better then player y, but because they hate a certain team player y represents.

Nothing new, but it really pisses me off.

I'm not saying its right, it just seems something really trivial to get all worked up about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad