Who would you rather draft, Ovechkin or Crosby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
No one knows how the draft system would go if there is no season. The thought is another lottery takes place, this time with all teams able(weighted again).

pittengineer

Jan 1, 2004
I would say Ovechkin only because I think he has a better all-around game(which is better in todays nhl).

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
pittengineer said:
I would say Ovechkin only because I think he has a better all-around game(which is better in todays nhl).

Crosby because his scoring is better even though he's almost two years younger and his all-around game is better than Ovechkins at the same age... by a country mile.

rnyquist

Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
Crosbyfan said:
Crosby because his scoring is better even though he's almost two years younger and his all-around game is better than Ovechkins at the same age... by a country mile.

while crosby is a better scorer, he does NOT have the allround game of Ovechkins. Crosby couldn't lay a decent check to save his life and the strength of Ovechkin is outstanding.

Put it this way, its like comparing Mike Bossy to Forsberg, different games

pittengineer

Jan 1, 2004
Crosbyfan said:

I dont know if I would put all-around game and Crosby in the same sentence. Crosby is going to be good, but its goin to only be based on his offensive skills. Ovechkin will succeed based on his offensive skills(slightly below crosby probably), but his all around game is leaps and bounds over crosby. Not to mentions crosby plays in an offensive league with players his age and ovechkin plays with players in their prime in a defensive league. There is just no comparison in evaluating all around game between the two.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
Crosbyfan said:

I think I'd take Crosby; just a feeling that he may actually live up to a lot of the hype.

Having said that, a lot of his stats are not comparable... scoring in the QMJHL is a hundred times easier than the RSL.

pittengineer

Jan 1, 2004
CrosbyIsGod said:
Crosby +40 does not mean is an all around player and is good defensively... ahh youre so jealous

if +/- was only a personal stat. +/- is a team stat more than anythings, if the team is good=its players have good +/- and viceversa.

Why do I have to be jealous? Neither player is on my team. Are you biased CrosbyisGod?

To be completely truthful, here is how both players are going to do in their first years in the NHL respectively.

Ovechkin:will come in from day 1 and have a sound all around game at the nhl level, will score around 60 points plus/minus 5 points, will not have extreme difficulty adjusting to the nhl.

Crosby: will take time to develop. does not have the overall game to play from day 1 in the nhl. that being said, he could start from day 1 with his offensive skill set. will struggly adapting to the defensive style of game that is played in the nhl.

Take in mind this is only year one. Crosby will prob develop into a good player, just not in his first year. Ovechkin on the other hand, will be able to come in from day one and succeed. Crosby's ceiling is a lil higher because of is offensive upside, but he most likely will be a one-way player when he develops his game to the nhl level.

pittengineer

Jan 1, 2004
Wild Thing said:
I'd take Crosby. I heard Ovechkin's allergic to bee stings.

I heard this too, but i heard crosby has complications when being bit by rattle snakes. Guess the both have big question marks.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Vincent_TheGreat said:
Crosby, better scoring forward also more rounded. Only thing Ovechkin has over him is size! Crosby easily!

Seeing you take Crosby here and Bergeron in that other thread is hilariously inconsistent (this goes for Crosbyfan as well).

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
Epsilon said:
Seeing you take Crosby here and Bergeron in that other thread is hilariously inconsistent (this goes for Crosbyfan as well).

How is this inconsistent. I choose and NHL player over a prospect in one thread, and in this thread a prospect over another prospect? Don't understand what your getting at?

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
pittengineer said:
I dont know if I would put all-around game and Crosby in the same sentence. Crosby is going to be good, but its goin to only be based on his offensive skills. Ovechkin will succeed based on his offensive skills(slightly below crosby probably), but his all around game is leaps and bounds over crosby. Not to mentions crosby plays in an offensive league with players his age and ovechkin plays with players in their prime in a defensive league. There is just no comparison in evaluating all around game between the two.

Leaps and bounds?????? I don't think you have seen Crosby play, the guy plays a good two way game to go along with his super offensive skills. I have seen both play live and I would take Crosby in a heart beat over Ovechkin. The Q is not the big offensive league any more, there is trap hockey and defense is really starting to crack down, don't know if you seen the top scorers latley in the CHL but the QMJHL only had 2 100 point scorers, OHL finished with the most. Have to stop talking about the past with the QMJHL and really start looking at the present.

pittengineer

Jan 1, 2004
moosefan said:
Leaps and bounds?????? I don't think you have seen Crosby play, the guy plays a good two way game to go along with his super offensive skills. I have seen both play live and I would take Crosby in a heart beat over Ovechkin. The Q is not the big offensive league any more, there is trap hockey and defense is really starting to crack down, don't know if you seen the top scorers latley in the CHL but the QMJHL only had 2 100 point scorers, OHL finished with the most. Have to stop talking about the past with the QMJHL and really start looking at the present.

Even if the league is not as offensive as it used to be, its still doesnt compare to the RSL under those terms.

BabyBennettov

May 2, 2002
Under the Sunshine
Visit site
Did Kovalchuk had a defensive game when he started in the NHL ?

I can't choose between Ovechkin and Crosby however because I'm not sold on Crosby's size if he become a 6'0 200 lbs hockey player I'll take him over Ovechkin everyday of the week and twice on Sunday ! It's easier to sell ticket with a North-american who has received some impressing hype (even from Gretzky who is recognized as the best player ever) than with a Russian who gets hype only from scouts and all !

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
pittengineer said:
if +/- was only a personal stat. +/- is a team stat more than anythings, if the team is good=its players have good +/- and viceversa.

Why do I have to be jealous? Neither player is on my team. Are you biased CrosbyisGod?

To be completely truthful, here is how both players are going to do in their first years in the NHL respectively.

Ovechkin:will come in from day 1 and have a sound all around game at the nhl level, will score around 60 points plus/minus 5 points, will not have extreme difficulty adjusting to the nhl.

Crosby: will take time to develop. does not have the overall game to play from day 1 in the nhl. that being said, he could start from day 1 with his offensive skill set. will struggly adapting to the defensive style of game that is played in the nhl.

Take in mind this is only year one. Crosby will prob develop into a good player, just not in his first year. Ovechkin on the other hand, will be able to come in from day one and succeed. Crosby's ceiling is a lil higher because of is offensive upside, but he most likely will be a one-way player when he develops his game to the nhl level.
You , obviously know very little about the significance of plus-minus and very
little about Crosby. Plus-minus can show you who is really the most effective
on a line or team,just take a look at the history of Bourqe and Orr and how
their numbers compare to their team-mates.When Orr and Bourque we're on
the ice the Bruins became a different(dramatically)team.The same is true for
Sidney.When he was gone to world juniors they only won 1 game in 11.His
linemate was minus 8 in 11 games without him but otherwise had a plus year.
You obviously have never seen Sidney play if you don't think he can be physical.
As for strength he has plenty especially where it counts , in the legs. I'll be
looking forward to watching you eat crow as Sidney proves you wrong at the
next level (no more excuses for the naysayers).

y

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->