who would you choose if we got second draft pick

who would you choose if we got second draft pick

• Total voters

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
I was tempted by Boqvist and Zadina, but I went with Svechnikov. I know he's another winger, but he's simply too good to pass up.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
If they didn't have Cholowski and Hronek already in the system already I'd push for a defenseman but you can't pass up Svech.

Reactions: TheMule93

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
i would prefer to trade down, pick bouchard and get an extra pick. as awesome a player svechnikov is and as much as i'd like to have him here, bouchard seems to be very good in his own rights and we would pick a d-man. Trading down from the #2 spot wouldc give us an additional 1st

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
i would prefer to trade down, pick bouchard and get an extra pick. as awesome a player svechnikov is and as much as i'd like to have him here, bouchard seems to be very good in his own rights and we would pick a d-man. Trading down from the #2 spot wouldc give us an additional 1st

Quality over quantity. We need game changers more than anything else.

Reactions: NickH8

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

^This

lomekian

Oct 28, 2013
London
Depends on how good you think Svech is compared to the rest. If his pre-season projection is still on point, you've just got to take him. Can he be as good as Laine? Or the immediate comparison, Tarasenko? Or is he a Drouin or dare I say it Yakupov?

If the former, pick him. Elite wingers don't grow on trees, and it could only help now his brother is finding his feet too.

If the latter, Zadina or trade down maybe a pick or two.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Personally I voted for Svechnikov, but if we could trade from 2 to ~5 and pick up an extra 1st (we'd honestly get more probably) and take Boqvist, Hughes, Dobson or Bouchard at 5 I'd be happy with that too.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I'd be a lot more comfortable taking a winger at 2OA - even a potentially elite one - if I thought there was much chance they'd get to actually use their skills.

Who on this roster is going to get Andrei Svechnikov the puck to do any damage?

If you're content to take BPA, and are prepared to let him rot here for another year or two, until there are (hopefully) some defensemen that can actually pass, and some playmakers on offense to help him out, then so be it. But I think his skill set gets largely wasted on the current roster, as opposed to more heavily investing to first build up the defense and center positions.

Reactions: Sadekuuro

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland

Cholowski will put the 1st pass on his tape --> breakaway and he scores.

If there's a defeceman on his way, he enters the offensive zone, makes a full circle, delays a bit so Rasmussen has time to hit for the net, then takes few power-strides to mid-sector -- shoots behind a Rasmussen screen - and scores. If the goalie saves, then Rasmussen whakcs the rebound in.

turkleton85

Dec 12, 2017
Quality over quantity. We need game changers more than anything else.

but the question is if svechnikov is still such a gamebreaker with our crappy defense. This is such an important draft, and the wings are structurally damaged. We need a foundation more than any other team, and bouchard is projected to be a top pairing defenseman, maybe even a clear #1. there would be no loss in quality

Orthodox Caveman

Sep 12, 2006
Went with lil' Svech.

Mantha - Larkin - A. Svechnikov
E. Svechnikov - Rasmussen - Anthanasiou

That's a nice top 6.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Went with lil' Svech.

Mantha - Larkin - A. Svechnikov
E. Svechnikov - Rasmussen - Anthanasiou

That's a nice top 6.

I would put Larkin between Svech-brothers and AA-Ramussen-Mantha. If Mantha is with Larkin and A.Svech, he goes to net-front job. I want him to be a scorer and Rasmussen go to net at 2nd line and E.Svechni go to net at 1st line.

Mostly it goes like that:

Evgeny Svechnikov and Rasmussen are the net-front players. I build the lines that thing as a starting point.

Evgeny - XXX - XXX
XXX - Rasmussen - XXX

Then, Ramussen takes a center spot, so Larkin takes that another center spot.

Evgeny - Larkin - XXX
XXX - Rasmussen - XXX

Then you add Wingers. Athanasiou is only natural LW from his NHL days, and Mantha and Andrei Svechnikov have been mostly RWs. It's easy to go:

Evgeny - Larkin - Mantha/Andrei
AA - Rasmussen - Mantha/Andrei

So mostly it locks those LW+C combos together and you can make changes for line dynamics between Mantha and Andrei. I'd prefer brothers together to get some extra spark, so:

Evgeny - Larkin - Andrei
AA - Rasmussen - Mantha

Also, it would be very interesting, if we win the lottery at 2019 and pick a guy like Jack Hughes. Then add Bertuzzi in the mix to create a SUPER DEPTH TOP9 lines. Spread the talent:

Evgeny - Hughes - Andrei
Bertuzzi - Larkin - Mantha
AA - Rasmussen - XXX (some offensive forward who will pan out from our previous drafts as a late bloomer)

But's a pipe dream with too many luck involved. Just an example what would our future like as time goes on and higher we pick.

Reactions: Orthodox Caveman

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands

Personally I voted for Svechnikov, but if we could trade from 2 to ~5 and pick up an extra 1st (we'd honestly get more probably) and take Boqvist, Hughes, Dobson or Bouchard at 5 I'd be happy with that too.

Agreed, I wouldn't be upset if we picked either winger. Hell, I'd be happy with those picks.

But, give the choice if there was a way to drop 2 or 3 picks max and pick up another mid/late mid 1st I'd be over the top happy. 3 first rd picks? 5 picks in the first 2 round? Yes please!

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Svech fo sure. This rebuild isn't going to be completed with a single draft class and he would be the best of what is left on the board. We are lacking all shades of elite talent.

Orthodox Caveman

Sep 12, 2006
Also, it would be very interesting, if we win the lottery at 2019 and pick a guy like Jack Hughes. Then add Bertuzzi in the mix to create a SUPER DEPTH TOP9 lines. Spread the talent:

Evgeny - Hughes - Andrei
Bertuzzi - Larkin - Mantha
AA - Rasmussen - XXX (some offensive forward who will pan out from our previous drafts as a late bloomer)

But's a pipe dream with too many luck involved. Just an example what would our future like as time goes on and higher we pick.

If we get Jack Hughes I'd be elated.

Reactions: Marky9er

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Svechnikov.

I like landing him for 2 reasons, the first being that he is an extremely skilled player who I think would fit in nice on this team.

Second, I feel like having him would light a fire and motivate his brother. You would have to think these two would have good chemistry.

Reactions: turkleton85

Sparty

Oct 2, 2015

If you're content to take BPA, and are prepared to let him rot here for another year or two, until there are (hopefully) some defensemen that can actually pass, and some playmakers on offense to help him out, then so be it. But I think his skill set gets largely wasted on the current roster, as opposed to more heavily investing to first build up the defense and center positions.

I don't think anyone thinks any one player is going to fix this roster. Even if we're able to add Tavares and Dahlin we still have a long way to go before we are ready to compete.

Toronto had a lot of great young players they buried (Nylander and Marner) before they got Matthews. Obv I don't think we'd bury Svechnikov, but we have a long way to go.

Take the best player.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
there is always "Russian factor" risk. Yakupov at juniors remind me yang Fedorov , Jurco was so dominant. Thinks change , some figure it out , some not . I prefer playmakers over scorers , that is why i don't wont get Zadina , Svechnikov or Tkachuk . It is takes longer to develop defenseman, and this year going to be first year for rebuilding club . Next 2 years will take forwards , not this year . We need #1 defenseman and it will be Boqvist ,Hughes or Bouchard

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Bad Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
Svech fo sure. This rebuild isn't going to be completed with a single draft class and he would be the best of what is left on the board. We are lacking all shades of elite talent.
Exactly, I'm not going to pass up on an 18 year old I love because the current team doesn't compliment him yet. Kid's a surefire star, imo. You take those.

I'd be happy with Zadina too, they're both tremendous hockey players.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
there is always "Russian factor" risk. Yakupov at juniors remind me yang Fedorov , Jurco was so dominant. Thinks change , some figure it out , some not . I prefer playmakers over scorers , that is why i don't wont get Zadina , Svechnikov or Tkachuk . It is takes longer to develop defenseman, and this year going to be first year for rebuilding club . Next 2 years will take forwards , not this year . We need #1 defenseman and it will be Boqvist ,Hughes or Bouchard

I think the Russian factor is the smallest possible in our case what comes to Andrei Svechnikov. We have his brother, and even tough we would not have, their parents are living somewhere between Muskegon and Grand Rapids, in Michigan. That won't hurt.

Also, Andrei has had this willingness to come to North America a lot earlier than "normal" Russians. One season at 16-year old in USHL. Then another season in OHL. His target definitely is NHL without any sidesteps.

We could also slot him on 1st line or at least TOP6 immediately. No problem with an opportunity.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017

Are you implying Jurco is Russian?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->