Who would cross first?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
1)If the NHL does start with replacement players, which PA players are likely to
abandon the union and sign with NHL teams.If you like state reason why.
2)Also how many would it take for the floodgates to open?
3)Which one player would have the most potential to "open the floodgates"(don't
list players that are hard-core union)?

Answer any or all of the above.

slosharksfan*

Dec 30, 2003
Chico
i would like to see enforcers cross first, just to give the message that headhunting players that cross will be very hard after everyone gets back

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
My guess is that it'll be somebody that none of us will have guessed.

Somebody that privately is in financial trouble.

At the end of the day....it all comes down to an individual's circumstances.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
The guys with the most to lose...financially yes, but also those whose spot in the NHL is now not quite as secure as it was 12 months ago. Those players that weren't able to continue playing in the AHL, but who still need to round out their games in some manner. Not to mention those that were somewhat outspoken about the whole lockout issue when it began.

I'm thinking of guys like Pierre Dagenais, Steve Montador, Mike Ribeiro, Brian Pothier, Mike Commodore, Rob Ray et al.

Also, would Mario Lemieux, not a union member, play in a "replacement NHL"? If yes, and I assume he would if healthy, could he have an impact on the floodgates? Guys like Ryan Malone, Mark Recchi, Brooks Orpik, etc.???

Should be interesting if/when it occurs.

Benji Frank

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Mike Modano. It was shortly after his comments alot of guys starting chirping the same tune & as a result, guys like Linden got the dialog going more frequently. Modano, more then most comes across to me as a guy who realizes this game's been good to him & so have the owners in Minnesota/Dallas ...

Plus his poor pooch must be pretty near anemic at this stage!!! :D

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
Jag68Vlady27 said:
Also, would Mario Lemieux, not a union member, play in a "replacement NHL"? If yes, and I assume he would if healthy, could he have an impact on the floodgates? Guys like Ryan Malone, Mark Recchi, Brooks Orpik, etc.???

Makes sense, i think a lot of Marios friends would agree to rejoin the Penguin. Even if that only meant guys like Recchi, McKenna and Bergevin

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Commodore. But let's hope Lemieux plays because it just wouldn't seem right to look back into the history books 20 years from now and see Lonny Bohonas as a Hart Trophy winner.

richardn

Mar 6, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie
Mario Lemieux I know for sure will. I mean he is the part owner after all. I wonder if Gretzky would make a come back and play as well. I mean how else does Pitsburgh and Pheonix fill out an arena using scabs.

Eddie Vedder

Sep 8, 2003
high paid, high skilled european players who are only after big pay checks will be the first to jump.

the fedorovs, jagrs, yashins.. They got massive contracts and they're never gonna get as big of a contract again. As each season passed, they lose TEN MILLION DOLLARS, and they will never have a chance to get it back.

Lil' Jimmy Norton*

Jan 31, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
End of career guys..ie Gary Roberts, 3rd and 4th liners and the European guys who have work permits/visas. Your looking at 350 players at least. Then you'll have a big name go across like Joe Montana did during the 1987 NFLPA lockout then the floodgates will open. My prediction is a Modano, Roenick, Forsberg, Sakic, Yzerman, Lemieux, Shanahan, Esche, Primeau, and Sundin.

Money talks and Goodenow's BS will walk... Buh Bye NHLPA :lol

It's going to be better watching this then a game 7 sudden death Stanley Cup final ! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

X0ssbar

The Lemieux situation is interesting... If scabs are brought in the Pens could end up having one of the best scab attendances in the league due to the Lemieux factor - go figure..

..of course privately I am hoping the fans choose scabs and then the regulars start to trickle back realizing the fight is over and its time to move on under the new economic realities.. hence, we are back to full staff for the 06-07 season.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
Here is a list of guys I wouldn't be surprised to see crossing the picket lines (if there are any... haha that would be so funny):

Mike Modano
Jeremy Roenick
Dany Heatley
Robert Esche
Mark Recchi
Chris Pronger
Jarome Iginla
Shane Doan
Mike Ribeiro
Pierre Dagenais
Steve Begin
Sydney Crosby

HAWKSWINHAWKSWIN

Apr 5, 2002
The 49th parallel
Visit site
I say the guys who cross are those who truly love the game. (Who amongst us would not play for free if we had the chance?) And when they are asked about crossing the lines all they have to do is respond "Hey, I'm goin ' to play some hockey..." :handclap:

Lil' Jimmy Norton*

Jan 31, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
HAWKSWINHAWKSWIN said:
I say the guys who cross are those who truly love the game. (Who amongst us would not play for free if we had the chance?) And when they are asked about crossing the lines all they have to do is respond "Hey, I'm goin ' to play some hockey..." :handclap:

Ya mean that they won't be afraid of retrubution from the tough guys ?? :lol
Pronger sounds like such a tough guy off the ice during these press conferences however on the ice he's not so tough. I remember he went to cave in Yzerman from behind in the playoffs a few years back and Yzerman submarined him and Pronger did a nice face plant into the boards and blew out his knee.

Mountain Dude

I heard Comrie is pretty pissed off at the Union leaders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->