Who would be the Jets' ideal 1st round opponent?

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
this.

NSH is worst, easily worst. They made Jets look like a inferior team.

I remember the games being really close actually and both games were on the road. I'd wait until Maurice gets control of the matchups at home before jumping to these kind of conclusions TBH. Maurice has been really good at the match game this year.

IMG_0530.jpg

IMG_0529.jpg

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I don't like recent trade proposals that have the Jets giving up their best prospects for a "win now" scenario. The Jets are still a couple of seasons away from making a deep run, I think. We'll need cheap, skilled depth to fill the holes as the more expensive players age out/are traded. Look at the Hawks now. >_>

I've always believed you have to get close and lose before you win, part of learning what it actually takes. I don't know if there's any merit to that really but it seems that way to me. I'd really like the Jets to win it all this year but they have virtually zero playoff experience on the roster (yes, duly noting the Ducks sweep - I mean winning culture). So I think it will take a season or two to build that. For that reason I think we'll need to retain our forward depth as best we can. I guess you go all in if you truly believe and do what the Hawks did then let the chips fall where they may in the future but I don't think we're there yet.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I've always believed you have to get close and lose before you win, part of learning what it actually takes. I don't know if there's any merit to that really but it seems that way to me. I'd really like the Jets to win it all this year but they have virtually zero playoff experience on the roster (yes, duly noting the Ducks sweep - I mean winning culture). So I think it will take a season or two to build that. For that reason I think we'll need to retain our forward depth as best we can. I guess you go all in if you truly believe and do what the Hawks did then let the chips fall where they may in the future but I don't think we're there yet.
I think experience wins a lot of the time, but sure didn`t work in the Super Bowl

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I kind of think it is that way but wouldn’t it be great to take a short cut? :crossfing

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I kind of think it is that way but wouldn’t it be great to take a short cut? :crossfing

I think it tends to be that way. It is not written in stone. There are so many factors going into determining which team wins. There is a large element of chance.

Without doing any actual math there are probably about 6 teams entering each year's playoff who have a high probability of winning. 1 of those 6 teams will almost always win. They may appear to be significantly spread out in overall quality but the reality is probably that they all have near equal odds of winning.

The single most obvious variable would be injuries that occur after the list of 6 is made. The PO draw can also have an effect. One or two of those teams may find an easier path to the final than the others. Then there are bounces, just plain luck. Refereeing may play a part too.

If we can legitimately claim one of those 6 spots going into the PO's then our chance is as good as anyone's - despite our lack of experience. OTOH, lack of experience may be the reason we don't belong there. Or we may think we belong but find out we are not well built for playoff hockey. It is played under a different set of rules and some teams don't fare well.

Reactions: Tommigun and ps241

McDLT

I'm a style boy for life
Mar 1, 2016
Calgary
Please not the flames. They are the puck-luckiest team in the west and they regularly beat better teams.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Based exclusively on tonight's performance, the Wild. Looked like a team made up of table-hockey players against the surging Coyotes.

Georgetown Al

I’m back...
Aug 8, 2017
Doesn't matter who we face....

Were going to kick some ass in the playoffs...

Flashback NHL HF Boards fans...

After we were knocked out of the playoffs last year how many wins did we get after that???

As far as I am concerned I surely believe that our team the Winnipeg Jets are going to have a [huge]
winning Streak even better than the last year at the end of the season and for those that want to say that we were kicked out of the playoffs and it didn't matter...

Well...

I Believe differently....

Go Jets Go

Our Team is Special and Winning is foremost of every player playing for us...

Its a Team Game...

We have a great team....

Go Jets Go

Last edited by a moderator:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I'm not a big believer in learning how to lose. Many teams learn to lose and learn to loose and learn to lose (Sharks). Some win once and never win again (Ducks). Winning it all is just really effing hard.

Yea I would like to set a new trend and that is a team that captures lightning in a bottle in their first crack at it as a group in the playoffs. I get how historically improbable it would be to accomplish but that would make it even more sweet.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Tommigun

Jan 5, 2018
I think it tends to be that way. It is not written in stone. There are so many factors going into determining which team wins. There is a large element of chance.

Without doing any actual math there are probably about 6 teams entering each year's playoff who have a high probability of winning. 1 of those 6 teams will almost always win. They may appear to be significantly spread out in overall quality but the reality is probably that they all have near equal odds of winning.

The single most obvious variable would be injuries that occur after the list of 6 is made. The PO draw can also have an effect. One or two of those teams may find an easier path to the final than the others. Then there are bounces, just plain luck. Refereeing may play a part too.

If we can legitimately claim one of those 6 spots going into the PO's then our chance is as good as anyone's - despite our lack of experience. OTOH, lack of experience may be the reason we don't belong there. Or we may think we belong but find out we are not well built for playoff hockey. It is played under a different set of rules and some teams don't fare well.

Excellent points. Luck is such a huge factor that it evens out so much other things. You also make a really good point with "Or we may think we belong but find out we are not well built for playoff hockey. It is played under a different set of rules and some teams don't fare well.", which is why I think say Hendricks will be far more valuable in the playoffs than say Petan. Buff on the other hand I think was built for playoff hockey :)

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Yea I would like to set a new trend and that is a team that captures lightning in a bottle in their first crack at it as a group in the playoffs. I get how historically improbable it would be to accomplish but that would make it even more sweet.

Well, we seemed to defy the odds and build a contender while not completely tearing it down, selling everything and collecting extra picks like LA did, in which Chevy was chastised for, so maybe we can defy the odds in this years playoffs too. :D

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I think improbable has more to do with the jump from outside the playoffs to contender status in a single season than learning's by the players. That's all.

Reactions: ps241

csk

Nov 5, 2015
Winnipeg, MB
I think improbable has more to do with the jump from outside the playoffs to contender status in a single season than learning's by the players. That's all.

3 contenders did that this year, I don't think it's all that improbable.

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I am taking this KV thread OT so my last comment is that I think we have the talent on this team to contend now especially with the addition of quality goaltending. We shall see I guess.

Reactions: Guerzy

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Just a quick note that I moved a bunch of posts from the Vesalainen thread here, in case some posts seem slightly OT. They're all discussing PO's, etc.

Reactions: ps241 and Guerzy

tntkid

Fire Maurice & Chevy
Nov 27, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I would want to see the Jets play Preds .

I would want to see where the Jets stand right away and if you beat Nashville you are going far..

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Excellent points. Luck is such a huge factor that it evens out so much other things. You also make a really good point with "Or we may think we belong but find out we are not well built for playoff hockey. It is played under a different set of rules and some teams don't fare well.", which is why I think say Hendricks will be far more valuable in the playoffs than say Petan. Buff on the other hand I think was built for playoff hockey :)

You could be right about Petan/Hendricks. It has been pointed out many times that Oilers sat Hendricks throughout last year's PO's and they fared quite well. That doesn't mean he is not a PO performer. They might have done better with him. He has 34 games of PO experience - but he scored only 2 pts in those 34 games which came when he was much younger. Make of it what you will.

How Petan will fare in playoff hockey remains to be seen. His small stature won't be a help but other small players have succeeded in the PO's.

Hendricks may be able to take the grind better but his lack of speed may be an even bigger problem with the high intensity, fast pace of the PO's. The nice thing is that this year we can say - we'll see. :D

Reactions: Tommigun

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
You could be right about Petan/Hendricks. It has been pointed out many times that Oilers sat Hendricks throughout last year's PO's and they fared quite well. That doesn't mean he is not a PO performer. They might have done better with him. He has 34 games of PO experience - but he scored only 2 pts in those 34 games which came when he was much younger. Make of it what you will.

How Petan will fare in playoff hockey remains to be seen. His small stature won't be a help but other small players have succeeded in the PO's.

Hendricks may be able to take the grind better but his lack of speed may be an even bigger problem with the high intensity, fast pace of the PO's. The nice thing is that this year we can say - we'll see. :D

The Oilers used Hendricks zero times in the playoffs last year, but the the players insisted he be a part of every team meeting and in the dressing room before and after games. He was very valuable to their run, even though he didn't play.

Mortimer Snerd

Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
The Oilers used Hendricks zero times in the playoffs last year, but the the players insisted he be a part of every team meeting and in the dressing room before and after games. He was very valuable to their run, even though he didn't play.

:laugh: That would be my preference for how we use him too.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014

Or maybe he wasn't valuable and they just felt sorry for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->