Who won the PC battle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Bettman, obviously.

He has the public totally fooled...the evidence is right here on HockeysFuture.

RSBPC

Jan 19, 2005
Bettman by default.

Not because his PC was good, because Goodenow's was just that much worse.

no13matssundin

May 16, 2004
Bettman by a landslide. Say what you want about the guy: he doesnt sound like an idiot as compared to Goodenow.

The owners are completely in the drivers' seat.

bymer

Jan 16, 2005
NYC
Gary by a landslide - Bob just doesn't have any presence (or a sense of what this is about - FANS - not Players and their salaries)

Mountain Dude

Who in gods name would have selected Bob Godenow? He was so transparent he wasn't even there.

barnburner

Apr 23, 2004
Bettman by a tko.

Considering that Goodenow is a lawyer and a professional labor negotiator, was nothing less than pathetic in his performance today. Extremely defensive (trying to cover his a-- to his membership?), came off as uncaring, and had the worried, harried look of someone that expects either to given his walking papers, or to find someone come storming thru the door to punch out his lights.

tristan76

Oct 28, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
MOEBEAGLE said:
your idiot may have won the pc junk but he has lost the war and maybe the entire league. So praise him because I come to burry him and his supporters. When you all are watching a feeder system instead of the best of the best just remember which side you were on and do not cry because it is so unbecoming to be seen as a crybaby. HE HE :joker: IS ON YOU

I don't get it. First of all, the poll does not ask which side we are on, it asks who won. Clearly, Goodenow's press conference was awful. Just droning on and on, looking uncomfortable, blaming everything on the owners. Bettman's was short, to the point and began with an apology. When Goodenow was asked for an apology, all he said was that Gary should be apologising (note to Bob - he did)

So, yes we are "praising" him in the sense that we are presented with two alternatives and have to pick one.

Now, your statement that "when you are all watching a feeder system instead of the best of the best," I don't get it. Where are they going to go? Europe? Maybe. If so, so be it. I hate being blackmailed as a fan. Buy us a stadium or we'll go to Las Vegas - bye and don't let the door hit you on the way out. Jack up your ticket prices to pay outrageous salaries or we'll go play in Sweden. Whatever. I can live without hockey I think. In fact, it has been sort of peaceful. I like what Ray Ratto said on ESPN today - we'll take a quick peek in next September and see if the players and owners have decided to share their toys. If not, wlee there is always 2006-07

feds91

May 17, 2004
When Gretzky says he's 100% behind Gary Bettman, it's easy to figure out who won the PC battle. :)

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
I got a scolding look from my "ji had on ownership" pro-PA g/f after that same question.

Bettman (who I despise) apologized right off the bat and in free will.

Bob (who I despise)said he feels sorry for the fans.

Bettman alluded to the sport costing the fans too much and how the business has to be run better FOR THE FANS.

Bob said his players (who I despise) should have the right to more of the money.

If these two were stealing from a bank or company, I'd expect Bob to knock Gary off and take the Lions share for himself (his constituency). THAT was what I got from the two press conferences. Gary feels sick of this having to be dealt with, Bob wants money. (mind you, they BOTH robbed the fans blind and gave to their own constituencies when the NHL still existed.....which it might not after today for quite some time)

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I wouldn't go so far as to say anyone "won" anything today. But I would concur that Bettman lost a whole lot less than what Goodenow did today.

How in God's name can the union get anything close to what they just turned down? The owners showed their resolve by doing what I thought they'd never do...give up their beloved playoff revenue and cancel the season. With that done, now their foot is firmly placed on the players' throat. And they don't look to be offering mercy at this point.

Goodenow tried to be cute and do his bully act one too many times, and now it's come home to roost. He'll be very fortunate to keep his job after this gross miscalculation.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
While I don't support him, Goodenow was more convincing with his points.

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
Jasper said:
While I don't support him, Goodenow was more convincing with his points.

Convincing, not at all. Gary could have been unprofessional and played the balme game and could have destroyed most of Goodenow's points and/or followed them up with areas where the NHLPA has done the exact same or worse things. Just once I would like to see the NHL follow one of the NHLPA's pressers and do what the NHLPA so frequently does, and craft the whole press conference on refuting the other sides point. I guarantee the NHL could make a much better case than the NHLPA could.

Jasper

Mar 16, 2002
Could have.. but that's not what happened. I'm basing what I said on what I saw. To the average, moderately educated fan, Goodenow outperformed Bettman in my opinion. And that's what's important.. the average fan doesn't know nearly as much about this as the average hfboards member.

craig1

Nov 1, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
Jasper said:
Could have.. but that's not what happened. I'm basing what I said on what I saw. To the average, moderately educated fan, Goodenow outperformed Bettman in my opinion. And that's what's important.. the average fan doesn't know nearly as much about this as the average hfboards member.
The casual fan was probably not glued to the TV set either.

kerrly

May 16, 2004
Regina
Jasper said:

Are you calling me uneducated or an average fan? Which both happen to be very far from the truth. Uneducated is using your opinions to generalize things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->