Who wins the hypothetical Bronze Medal Game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sonnytheman

Apr 9, 2002
Ithaca, Mtl
Visit site
VanIslander said:
Even if there was a bronze medal, it is sooo Canadian to think coming in third is an achievement. :speechles I'm guilty of it too. But expats from nearly every other country kept scoffing at the bronze medal performances in the Athens Olympics.

Let's just say, whomever is most deserving of third place, it wouldn't be Sweden :snide: Russia :o or Slovakia :dunce:

of course everyone wants to gold, who doesn't? But we're just not as anal about it as other folk

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
VanIslander said:
I'm living in South Korea this year and have noticed a distinct difference among expats: Canadians think third place is a sort of achievement whereas Americans and Koreans definitely don't: they want first or else feel frustrated and negative. My observations were about the Olympics, as I mentioned.

Of course, in hockey Canada expects to come first. But that doesn't detract from a cultural acceptance of runner up positions as alright (for others in hockey!).

By the way, I first heard in university about my fellow Canadians' proclivity for appreciating coming short of #1. It was a topic covered in a Canadian Studies course.

This may not be the best forum for discussions of subtle, defeasible cultural characteristics :help: best discerned in the hands of a microsociologist, which I ain't.

I just wasn't surprised that a fellow Canuck started this thread, that's all.

I personally think it makes sense to talk about who's the third best. I honestly believe Mario is the third best player of all time. I think the WHL is the third best league in all of hockey. And I contend that watching hockey is the third best thing I'd rather be doing.
You just don't have a clue. We don't consider hockey like any other sports. To Canadians, it is imperative that we win. Anything else is unacceptable. Why do you think it made such a commotion when we lost in '96? In Nagano, do you honestly thought that Team Canada did all their best to win the Bronze? After their lost to the Czechs, it was clear that nothing else mattered anymore. Other countries would have not paniced like we did because losing in international hockey when you have your best is such a weird concept for us. Just compare Canadian hockey fans with other Canadian sport fans. The latter are usually humble like the rest of the population but it is well known in hockey circles that Canadian hockey fans are arrogant. We are arrogant because we always think that we're going to win. In hockey, we're like Americans and don't accept being less than the best.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
sonnytheman said:
of course everyone wants to gold, who doesn't? But we're just not as anal about it as other folk
You're yet another delusioned person. Canadians are indeed anal about hockey. Just look at the Finnish posts. You can see that going to the final is such a big thing for them already. For Canada, do you think that's enough? If we don't win tomorrow, it will be another desaster.

roast

Mar 3, 2004
Pittsburgh
Knucklez said:
:lol

The Czechs would kick the US's ass.

If you look at his first post, he said " Chezhs are WC Champions". thats why I said probably not, because the lost to Canada.

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
In the soccer World Cup there is a bronze medal game, in the Rugby World Cup there's a third place final. I beleive medals are given out as well as trophies in the soccer WC too.

I'm sure they would have made one had Canada lost for ratings and attendance sake.

BruinsGirl

Aug 27, 2002
Bruinsville, MA
Visit site
Roughneck said:
In the soccer World Cup there is a bronze medal game, in the Rugby World Cup there's a third place final. I beleive medals are given out as well as trophies in the soccer WC too.

I'm sure they would have made one had Canada lost for ratings and attendance sake.

World Cup is an NHL competition so NHL rules must apply (I guess).

Besides in soccer WC there are many more countries so giving more medals is more appropriate.

ehcszteiN

May 7, 2004
Raisio, Finland
I think the "bronze" belongs to us Finns.

WAIT A MINUTE !

I forgot. We are in THE FINALS !!! :yo:

Seriously. I would give the hypothetical bronze to the Checks. Why ? I just like the level of skill they have.

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
ehcszteiN said:
I think the "bronze" belongs to us Finns.

WAIT A MINUTE !

I forgot. We are in THE FINALS !!! :yo:

Seriously. I would give the hypothetical bronze to the Checks. Why ? I just like the level of skill they have.

Canada is gonna beat the Finns in the bronze medal game.

Wait.....

Nevermind. :banana:

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Canuck21t said:
You just don't have a clue. We don't consider hockey like any other sports. To Canadians, it is imperative that we win. Anything else is unacceptable. Why do you think it made such a commotion when we lost in '96? In Nagano, do you honestly thought that Team Canada did all their best to win the Bronze? After their lost to the Czechs, it was clear that nothing else mattered anymore. Other countries would have not paniced like we did because losing in international hockey when you have your best is such a weird concept for us. Just compare Canadian hockey fans with other Canadian sport fans. The latter are usually humble like the rest of the population but it is well known in hockey circles that Canadian hockey fans are arrogant. We are arrogant because we always think that we're going to win. In hockey, we're like Americans and don't accept being less than the best.
Here's a clue. :rolleyes: If you had read my post fully, you'd have seen that I agree completely with what you're saying:

[quote="vanIslander]Of course, in hockey Canada expects to come first. But that doesn't detract from a cultural acceptance of runner up positions as alright (for others in hockey!).[/quote]
Of course, hockey is like a religion in my Canada. I don't doubt that at all. Shoot! I've worshipped at the altar for a quarter century!

This thread is about teams other than Canada being considered for third place in this tourney.

To that issue, my point was directed. Canadians are more often willing to speak fondly (without resentment) of second and third place finishes as meaningful (in the Olympics I used as my example, and in other areas of life). The upshot of my position is that Canadians are more likely on average to find this thread of value than Americans (and whatever other countries where everything short of #1 is equally disappointing and unworthy of distinction). It's a sociological hypothesis discussed in university.

The theories as to why are many: an inbred sense of inferiority, a lack of a strong national identity, being next-door to a superpower, multiculturalism, old-world affinity by immigrants, blah, blah, blah. All reasons are beside my point: I wasn't surprised that a Canadian started this thread because us Canadians often (though not always in all cases) think finishing second or third can be okay.

G'day.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
VanIslander said:
Here's a clue. :rolleyes: If you had read my post fully, you'd have seen that I agree completely with what you're saying:

Of course, hockey is like a religion in my Canada. I don't doubt that at all. Shoot! I've worshipped at the altar for a quarter century!

This thread is about teams other than Canada being considered for third place in this tourney.

To that issue, my point was directed. Canadians are more often willing to speak fondly (without resentment) of second and third place finishes as meaningful (in the Olympics I used as my example, and in other areas of life). The upshot of my position is that Canadians are more likely on average to find this thread of value than Americans (and whatever other countries where everything short of #1 is equally disappointing and unworthy of distinction). It's a sociological hypothesis discussed in university.

The theories as to why are many: an inbred sense of inferiority, a lack of a strong national identity, being next-door to a superpower, multiculturalism, old-world affinity by immigrants, blah, blah, blah. All reasons are beside my point: I wasn't surprised that a Canadian started this thread because us Canadians often (though not always in all cases) think finishing second or third can be okay.

G'day.
Ah ok, sorry. It's not that I didn't read your previous post fully, I just didn't understand it. My apology, I got it now.

I think Finland has this inferiory complex like we do to a certain extend. They're often "behind" Sweden if I may say so. At least in hockey, Finland does think that 2nd or 3rd place is quite good but I have no doubt that they also have enough confidence that they can go all the way too.

It's true that aside from hockey, Canadians do accept 2nd, 3rd or even lower place easily. The theories you have mentioned are things that I have thought about before so it's so foulish of me to not understand your previous post as I should have. I am embarassed :blush:.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad