Who wins the hypothetical Bronze Medal Game?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mountain Dude

The Czechs would have beaten the states if they played half as well as they did against Canada.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
I'd give it to the Czechs. Hell, if a few bounces would have gone their way last night they'd be playing for gold.

Jazz

In the Final rankings, the Czech will be placed 3rd at the Americans 4th...

Tie breaker goes like this:
you take the teams that are eliminated at a certain level, in this case, the SF stage, and compare their records, here both went 1-win, 2-losses, so that is a tie, from there they look at GF/GA, Czechs were even, and the US was -1.

Same applies to the QF stage:
Sweden finishes 5th
Russia finishes 6th
Slovakia finishes 7th
Germany finishes 8th.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
wilka91 said:
The Czechs are WC champions.
Yeah right. I know you hate Canada and I'll accept that, but don't you think you're underrating the Finns? Actually, you're totally forgetting about the Finns as if they're non existant. There is a possiblity that Finland could win over the Czech Republic a second time in this tournament you know. Sheesh, you East Euros. :shakehead

Last edited:

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
Canuck21t said:
Yeah right. I know you hate Canada and I'll accept that, but don't you think you're underrating the Finns? Actually, you're totally forgetting about the Finns as if they're non existant. There is a possiblity that Finland could win over the Czech Republic a second time in this tournament you know. Sheesh, you East Euros. :shakehead

He's Russian, its his duty to hate Canada.

Brad*

There's no Bronze medal game? What about Silver? Can USA still get silver?

:dunno:

Papa Smurf

Jun 9, 2004
Oshawa, Ontario
Brad said:
There's no Bronze medal game? What about Silver? Can USA still get silver?

:dunno:

Nope, no bronze medal awarded.

In fact, are ther even gold and silvers awarded, or is there just the cup and thats it? Kinda like the Stanley Cup?

aj

Mar 19, 2004
London, England
There aren't even medals......of any colour.

It's a Cup competition!

:shakehead

If there was a 3rd place game, I think the Czechs would win. Easily.

Kickabrat

WHAT - ME WORRY?
Jul 4, 2004
Ottawa
aj said:
It's a Cup competition!
Question is it really a cup? I thought it was an "ice bucket" thingy surrounded by plastic? I can just see Mario, strolling around the rink with this plastic thing held proudly in the air, and getting showered by ice cubes. lol

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
Even if there was a bronze medal, it is sooo Canadian to think coming in third is an achievement. :speechles I'm guilty of it too. But expats from nearly every other country kept scoffing at the bronze medal performances in the Athens Olympics.

Let's just say, whomever is most deserving of third place, it wouldn't be Sweden :snide: Russia :o or Slovakia :dunce:

moosejaw

Apr 27, 2004
If you think it is "sooo Canadian" to think coming in third in an international hockey competition is an achievement, you must have missed the "Summit". It is the one sport where nothing short of gold, first, etc. is acceptable in this country...nice attempted bash though...

High flyin' Habs*

Did you guys see that cup? I remember I saw a pic of it at tsn and I can say that its a horrible cup, If I was Canada id lose just not to carry that ugly thing.

High flyin' Habs*

VanIslander said:
Even if there was a bronze medal, it is sooo Canadian to think coming in third is an achievement. :speechles I'm guilty of it too. But expats from nearly every other country kept scoffing at the bronze medal performances in the Athens Olympics.

Let's just say, whomever is most deserving of third place, it wouldn't be Sweden :snide: Russia :o or Slovakia :dunce:

Your kidding right??

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
I'm living in South Korea this year and have noticed a distinct difference among expats: Canadians think third place is a sort of achievement whereas Americans and Koreans definitely don't: they want first or else feel frustrated and negative. My observations were about the Olympics, as I mentioned.

Of course, in hockey Canada expects to come first. But that doesn't detract from a cultural acceptance of runner up positions as alright (for others in hockey!).

By the way, I first heard in university about my fellow Canadians' proclivity for appreciating coming short of #1. It was a topic covered in a Canadian Studies course.

This may not be the best forum for discussions of subtle, defeasible cultural characteristics :help: best discerned in the hands of a microsociologist, which I ain't.

I just wasn't surprised that a fellow Canuck started this thread, that's all.

I personally think it makes sense to talk about who's the third best. I honestly believe Mario is the third best player of all time. I think the WHL is the third best league in all of hockey. And I contend that watching hockey is the third best thing I'd rather be doing.

Brad*

aj said:

It's a Cup competition!

:shakehead

If there was a 3rd place game, I think the Czechs would win. Easily.
So what you're trying to say is that the US could still win Bronze? I think the Slovaks will take silver, but that's just me.

Mountain Dude

Brad said:
So what you're trying to say is that the US could still win Bronze? I think the Slovaks will take silver, but that's just me.

No, the US would place 4th if the Czechs came 3rd.

Canuck21t

Feb 4, 2004
Montreal, QC
VanIslander said:

:loony:? Don't forget you're talking about Canada here. Hockey is like a religion in this country and we definitly aren't happy getting 3rd place, not even 2nd place. It's all or nothing when it comes to hockey. In other sports, sure but NOT hockey. Where have you been all along?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->