NCAA: Who will win the Cotton Bowl?

Sports Enthusiast

Not Here To Be Liked
Sep 19, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Makes sense. Iowa held them to 9 basically. I'd say Bama has a better D. Henry is a better back but Beatherd is a better QB. I wonder how that game goes last night if their RB doesn't get hurt. He was having a couple decent runs.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
If Cook gets healthy, look out, we may have a game.

Should be a fun game, Cook played his worst game I've seen since 2013 the other day.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Bama

I think big game experience of coaching staff and some players will be difference

The Spartan players (especially here since they are an older team) and coaches have won two B1G titles, have a four game bowl winning streak since the debacle Capital One Bowl against Alabama years ago including the Rose Bowl and Cotton bowl wins the last two years. They are also 6-1 in their last 7 games against Top 10 teams. Not sure what this group is lacking in terms of big game experience they have it in spades really.

Just as a comparison Alabama comes in having lost their last two bowl games. I am not sure they have that much more experience in terms of the players.

I think this game comes down to Cook's health, if he cannot get back to full healthy it will be a problem for MSU. I would be very surprised to see MSU get bullied in the trenches like they did five years ago by Alabama when they had not made that next step as a program. The have constantly pointed to that moment as a program defining moment and it is hard to point to a moment since where they were whipped up front since that game.

Also Coker is going to need to hit on some things downfield to get the Spartans out of the box and from attacking downhill on the run. Make no mistake Iowa and Ohio State are very physical running teams that found no joy in that game plan. The Spartans secondary while getting healthier and better as result remains the area you want to exploit. Also MSU special teams has been a problem throughout the year, those are the areas you want to make hay, running up the middle even with Henry is a tough way to win.

Cook has been dynamic in these settings when healthy, so MSU really needs that. They are the underdogs, but bring a pretty talented team that is finally somewhat healthy outside of missing a pre-season all-american linebacker for the whole season. This is more in keeping with what people were expecting with Hicks protecting the boundary out at corner allowing more aggressive coverage on D and a veteran offensive line churning out long drives that wear down opposition. I am excited to see it and as I loathe Nick Sabin more than pretty much anyone in sports I hope they can stick it to them in this game and prevail in a tight defensive contest.

Coach D has been great at playing the disrespect card throughout his career. There are actually a couple to play here, not just the spread in the game or some of the initial Michigan comments by Bama players, but Alabama backed out of a series that was supposed to start next year because they didn't want to play a home and home when MSU really took off as a team anymore.

Beating Alabama at their own game is a tall order and they do have similar play styles, but MSU does have the front seven and veteran offensive line to give even Bama some problems. This is the most physical Spartan team since the late 80's team. Easily the most physical of this great run under Coach D, they are nasty in the trenches.

Last edited:

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
nick saban is angry

that is not a good thing for whoever is on the other sideline

msu can play defense and coker is no heisman finalist, but the difference will be msu's anemic offense trying to score on the #2 defense in the entire country

yeah

that ain't happening

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
nick saban is angry

that is not a good thing for whoever is on the other sideline

msu can play defense and coker is no heisman finalist, but the difference will be msu's anemic offense trying to score on the #2 defense in the entire country

yeah

that ain't happening

Anemic? :laugh:

32.1 PPG is anemic?

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
I think it could be a low scoring game, but to call MSU offense anemic based on only scoring 16 points because the QB is hurt, isn't a good call.

Stats01

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I'll say Bama, issue with them though is you can throw on them, if Cook gets hot the Spartans can come through with an upset.

nyrleetch

Aug 2, 2009
New York
when you play against indiana, illionois, purdue, maryland, rutgers, western and central michigan, etc

yes

yes it is

bama wouldda hung like 70 on those teams

1. Wisconsin 35 (13.1) +22
2. MTSU 37 (25.1) +12
3. Ole Miss 37 (22.8) +15
4. ULM 34 (36.5) -2
5. UGA 38 (17) +21
6. Ark 27 (27.8) +0
7. Texas AM 41 (21.6) +20
8. Tenn 19 (21.1) -2
9. LSU 30 (24.0) +6
10. Miss St 31 (22.8) +9
11. Charleston Southern 56 (FCS)
12. Auburn 29 (27.3) +2
13. Florida 29 (16.5) +13

Bama +118

MSU
1. WMU 37 (28.1) +9
2. Oregon 31 (36.8) -5
3. Air Force 35 (23.2) +12
4. CMU 30 (22.1) +8
5. Purdue 24 (36.5) -12
6. Rutgers 31 (34.9) -4
7. Michigan 27 (17.2) +10
8. Indiana 52 (37.1) +15
9. Nebraska 38 (27.8) +11
10. Maryland 24 (34.4) -10
11. OSU 17 (14.0)+3
12. PSU 55 (21.7) +34
13. Iowa 16 (18.5) -2

MSU +69

MSU offense played well. If you haven't followed them, the offensive line wasn't healthy for most of the year, Cook was hurt for the Maryland-Iowa game. Not excuses, just things that impact the performance.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad