Speculation: Who will retire this year

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Ericsson, Daley, Howard.

Won't mind at all if Nielsen retires and leaves rest of the money on the table like Rafalski did.

Theoretically, if that happened would we be burned with the recapture penalty? Or was he young enough when he signed his contract that we don't have to worry about that?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I agree with Howard, Ericsson and Daley all likely retire. I also think that Nielson is at least starting to consider it, with poor play and injuries piling up. I think there is a small-mid chance that Green decides to retire.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I hope that is a joke, because Zetterberg retiring would cost him a million dollars and catch Detroit with a recapture penalty.

Datsyuk not doing too well in the K so that is a possibility.
Their numbers I guess

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Theoretically, if that happened would we be burned with the recapture penalty? Or was he young enough when he signed his contract that we don't have to worry about that?

Recapture penalty was only for deals signed before the 2013 CBA where there was a huge variance in year to year actual salaries to knock the cap hit way down. A lot of them were/are deals where teams tacked on an extra year or years for $1M/season after a player might be expected to retire, since they could do so without penalty because the contract was signed before they turned 35. Examples would be Zetterberg, Weber, Luongo, among others.

Nielsen signed his contract at 32, so if he were to hypothetically retire early, his entire contract would come off the books ala Rafalski.

The silver lining with Nielsen's contract is that it might eventually be attractive to a lower spending team since he's only owed another $5.5M on his contract after 7/1/20, and only $1.5M after 7/1/21. Of course, that might also be beneficial to Yzerman if he isn't looking to really use up the cap space the Red Wings will be opening up over the next couple seasons.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Recapture penalty was only for deals signed before the 2013 CBA where there was a huge variance in year to year actual salaries to knock the cap hit way down. A lot of them were/are deals where teams tacked on an extra year or years for $1M/season after a player might be expected to retire, since they could do so without penalty because the contract was signed before they turned 35. Examples would be Zetterberg, Weber, Luongo, among others.

Nielsen signed his contract at 32, so if he were to hypothetically retire early, his entire contract would come off the books ala Rafalski.

The silver lining with Nielsen's contract is that it might eventually be attractive to a lower spending team since he's only owed another $5.5M on his contract after 7/1/20, and only $1.5M after 7/1/21
. Of course, that might also be beneficial to Yzerman if he isn't looking to really use up the cap space the Red Wings will be opening up over the next couple seasons.
Yep, good point. Maybe SY sells him as a younger Matt Cullen Deluxe type, blaming his non-production on our rebuild/roster/injuries, since it was such a drastic fall from '18-'19. If he's not bought out in the offseason, I could see him getting late 3rd if his offense, say 25-30pt pace/82gp, bounces back in 20-21. He wouldn't be the 1st player to have a down year & bounce back a bit.

Reactions: ShelbyZ

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
probably Howard

his contract is up and can't see the idea of going to the AHL or sitting out and hoping to grab a low money backup contract somewhere being very appealing to him

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Yep, good point. Maybe SY sells him as a younger Matt Cullen Deluxe type, blaming his non-production on our rebuild/roster/injuries, since it was such a drastic fall from '18-'19. If he's not bought out in the offseason, I could see him getting late 3rd if his offense, say 25-30pt pace/82gp, bounces back in 20-21. He wouldn't be the 1st player to have a down year & bounce back a bit.

Avs went through something similar with Carl Soderberg. He was supposed to be a #2C but had a huge drop off when the team was notably terrible in 16-17 and then rebounded the next year. Obviously, he was a bit younger than Nielsen is now and was at a higher level before the drop off.

I could be completely wrong, but I think Nielsen's drop off this season isn't 100% on him. It's probably like 50/50 on him and the other half on his usage. Last year Nielsen was getting a lot more PP and 5v5 ice time and the 5 forwards he shared the most ice time with were (in order from most to least) Vanek, AA, Bertuzzi, Mantha and Nyquist. This year he's getting less PP and 5v5, while spending more time on the PK and the five forwards he's played most with (again in order) are Helm, Erne, Glendening, Hirose and Perlini.

I would imagine on the right team, Nielsen would be a serviceable bottom 6 forward that could put up 25-30pts and be a shootout insurance policy. However, probably not for his current cap hit. I would bet that if/when the Wings move Nielsen, they'll be retaining a huge chunk of his salary and/or taking some salary back.

Given that Nielsen will only make $1.5M over the duration of the 21-22 season, it also wouldn't be completely unrealistic for him to end up LTIRetiring for the last year of his deal.

GreatGordie9

May 11, 2019
Victoria, BC
Green, Daley, Ericsson, and Howard all possibilities on retirement after this season. Green may try to sign elsewhere. Injury prone will prevent him signing long-term.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Ericsson definitely.
Howard needs to, but probably won't. Like someone else said, Kalamazoo Wings.
Daley will go elsewhere for another year or two, as will Green provided there's some sucker out there willing to sign them. (Cough *Holland*cough)

Don't Franzen and Z technically come off the books after this season? Someone mentioned Weiss too, but I forget how long his buyout hit lasts for.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Ericsson definitely.
Howard needs to, but probably won't. Like someone else said, Kalamazoo Wings.
Daley will go elsewhere for another year or two, as will Green provided there's some sucker out there willing to sign them. (Cough *Holland*cough)

Don't Franzen and Z technically come off the books after this season? Someone mentioned Weiss too, but I forget how long his buyout hit lasts for.

Weiss and Zetterberg still for one year. Franzen and Ouellet come out of books.

ThaiTanicDK

Oct 26, 2016
Frans Nielsen is turning 36 in April and I honestly dont see him continuing. He is a shadow of his former self.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad