Speculation: Who will not be back on the roster for 2018/19

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Like most here I don't expect Hendricks and Mathias to be back. Dano could be one of those guys that surprise if given a chance. A guy like Vegas stacked their team with. Chevy may be inclined to hang on to him for that reason.

I don't get the Little hate. The stats and eye test in the playoffs seem to agree that Stastny may be better but only by a whisker. The only reason we all love Stastny is because he seemed to be able to work with Laine and Ehlers but that disappeared in the last series. We should not be giving Stastney big $$ to stay. I betcha Roslovic would work well with Laine and Ehlers.

Enstom may stay around for a Million or so. I like Myers as a third pair D but he is overpaid for that so I would not be surprised to see him gone.

Perreault was underwhelming. Jesus no more. He probably stays though.

Sad to think that on a line of Lowry Copp and Tanev that Tanev would be the scoring "threat".

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Did you mean he's Brian Little with a touch less offense. Outside of this season Little has outscored him by a decent amount.

I think Little bounces back as well. Maybe not to a 60 plus point giluy but I see him in the mid 50's next season.
Yeah, I meant career wise but sticking to my last 3-4 years statement, you're absolutely right.

The differing opinions on them from some people are bizarre.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
It says on Cap Friendly he submits a 14 team no trade list(it doesn’t have a starting date on it though, so I assumed he was tradable to 17 other teams)...
At the time of Little's signing The Jets also announced that they were extending the NMC to cover the final year of Little's current contract. Not sure if that is technically binding as contracts can't be reopened, but for True North the spirit of their action would be just as binding for a loyal career employee.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Yeah, I meant career wise but sticking to my last 3-4 years statement, you're absolutely right.

The differing opinions on them from some people are bizarre.

People tend to have short memories these days.

I thought the Vegas series exposed PS lack of foot speed a bit. It also gave my pause with regards to how he will hold up over the next few seasons in a league that keeps getting faster.

On the flip side I thought Little was solid against Vegas and had a number of grade A chances that he misses.

One of the big reasons I tho k he bounces back is because his accuracy was off all year. He didn't seem to have confidence in his shot which to a large extent explains his totals.

Reactions: Oilpeg and Ducky10

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I would keep Perreault next season, and they can't move Little, nor should they.

I think they need more punch at C if they want to go on a deep run. They wouldn't have beaten the Preds without Stastny, in my opinion.

I think Myers could bring good value in a trade, and he's our 3rd pairing RD. I think Poolman is a good option at RD on the 3rd pair. So, I think it makes sense to move Myers in a deal that gets a good 2/3 C. Jets might need to add, depending on the quality and contract status.

How about Myers+Armia/Perreault for RNH + 2nd, or something like that? Oilers really need RD and more skill on the wings. RNH is behind McDavid and Draisaitl at C. RNH fills the C need for the Jets nicely in the short term, and could be moved easily in a year or two if there is a cap crunch.

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Ehlers-RNH-Laine
Copp-Little-Roslovic
Tanev-Lowry-Armia

Depth: Dano(?), Petan, Appleton, Lemieux, Vesalainen, Spacek

Morrissey-Trouba
Kulikov-Buff
Morrow-Poolman

Depth: Chiarot, Niku

Jets would need to add another D or two as depth.
Nope. Myers needs to be traded specifically for cap room. Your proposal does not accomplish that.

I'd go after their 10th OA, if that is at all possible. I have doubts, but then again, Peter Chiarelli.

Reactions: surixon

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Nope. Myers needs to be traded specifically for cap room. Your proposal does not accomplish that.

I'd go after their 10th OA, if that is at all possible. I have doubts, but then again, Peter Chiarelli.

Yeah I have no idea how people think we can easily fit another 6 million dollar player in our cap.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Yeah I have no idea how people think we can easily fit another 6 million dollar player in our cap.
I proposed to trade Myers and Perreault for RNH and a 2nd. That saves 3.5M in cap space next season. If more cap space is needed after next season, RNH is very tradeable. That's what I suggested, and the Jets would have no cap issues with this proposal.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

Note that I included Perreault with Myers. That saves 3.5M next season.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
...and adds money for the season after, when Laine's new deal kicks in. How about no?
See above. RNH retains high trade value, so he can be moved if necessary before 2019/20. Meantime, he gives the Jets great C depth for a run next season.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
See above. RNH retains high trade value, so he can be moved if necessary before 2019/20. Meantime, he gives the Jets great C depth for a run next season.
I'm not a big believer in Chevy suddenly beginning to trade lots, especially if the trades are just flipping guys back and forth.

Also, by putting ourselves right against the cap, dealing RNH would likely be tough and result in a very mediocre return, if even that.

Jetsfan87

Aug 24, 2015
Ontario
Crappy way to end the year (our depth scoring was mia in the playoffs) but still lots of good signs for the future.
I think there will be some changes, hopefully to some lines to shake things up and maybe a trade or 2
But, things we know are:
1 - ELL doesnt work, no chemistry/styles dont mesh well
2 - Myers makes too much to be 3rd pair RHD

Fowards
Hendricks, Matthias and Dano are gone. I wouldnt mind Dano as 13th forward but he will be looking for somewhere he can play.

What I would like/think we may see.
1st Line - Connor/Ehlers - Schef - Laine - ESL has been called for several times, try it in training camp/first few games if you want but to be honest I think we need to split Ehlers and Laine on seperate lines. Settle in on our 1st line for the next 5 years hopefully.

2nd Line - Ehlers/Connor - Little - Wheeler - Little and Wheeler had success playing together before, maybe that helps Little bounce back. Wheeler takes a step back (not that he doesnt play well but Im going to assume this was his best year and he doesnt hit 90 pts again)

*3rd Line - Perreault - Roslo - Armia - Give Roslovic a shot with 2 pretty good 2 way players to protect/shelter. Say what you will about Perreault not scoring over the second half/playoffs , he wasnt the only one. Armia, we know what we have with him. I dont think he has the offense to warrant a top 6 role full time (especially with our depth) but hes a good forechecker, plays hard and generally causes chaos for the other team.

Copp - Lowry - Tanev - Speaks for itself... - Not that these guys should be overvalued (ex Cal Clutterbuck with his long term deal) but they are all good players that fit their role. Lowry is such a physical force (when healthy) that he helps control matchups so well, Copp is a decent 2 way player and Tanev hits everything in sight and plays a straight forward game (not expecting him to score like he did in the playoffs but he is decent at the right price)

* Maybe Perrault gets traded for cap relief, in which case maybe Copp moves up?

Defense
Enstrom, love the guy, has given alot to this franchise (was one of my fav players on Atlanta) but its time. I think he goes home for his wifes health issues.
1st Pair - Morrissey - Trouba - this offseason hinges on Trouba, if we can get him signed long term to a decent deal (6m x 7?) we can fit the pieces around that/ figure out trades from there. Nothing is happening before that. Morrissey I'd prefer long term but may be bridged. Either way, these 2 are the present and future of our D core

2nd Pair - Kulikov - Buff - Kulikov is a little tough to judge (injured) but I thought he played a decent steady game. He doesnt wow you but seems to me that hes the kind of guy who is having an effective game when you arent talking about him. Buff, prone to the odd bad pinch/long shift but you have to take the bad with the good. Physical beast who can take over a game. I think Kulikov is a good partner for Buff because it "allows" him to rush/pinch knowing Kulikov is not a guy that jumps up alot, he will stay back and make the safe play.

**3rd Pair - Niku/Chairot - Myers - Maybe switch Kulikov and Niku? I didnt see any Moose games really so dont know much about Niku beyond the stats. Chairot played well in the playoffs and is signed for next year, whichever one doesnt play will be in the PB (which is a waste of a year of Niku). Myers is very up and down, when he is on, good things happen, when he isnt, its a trainwreck....

**This is the interesting one to me, Chairot is already signed, Niku deserves a shot, Poolman looked decent when he played, heck even Morrow looked ok when he played (mostly paired with Buff if I remember). Myers is a luxury that we cant afford. Trade him while his value is high (possibly with Frenchie)

Reactions: Keystone and ERYX

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Enstrom, Hendricks, Mattias, Dano fer sher.

To be replaced by Niku and perhaps some of the plethora of free agents who will now actually be enthused to join the Jets (and join a serious contender).

Flair Hay

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2010
Winnipeg
Jets need to find a solution at 2C or the team may never get past where we were this season. Easier said than done.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Jets need to find a solution at 2C or the team may never get past where we were this season. Easier said than done.

If we can't resign Stastny it won't be all doom and gloom. Lots of our young guys are poised to take another step forward.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Crappy way to end the year (our depth scoring was mia in the playoffs) but still lots of good signs for the future.
I think there will be some changes, hopefully to some lines to shake things up and maybe a trade or 2
But, things we know are:
1 - ELL doesnt work, no chemistry/styles dont mesh well
2 - Myers makes too much to be 3rd pair RHD

I agree with your assessment and the lines you propose are what I would like to see. Laine's numbers notwithstanding, ELL seemed unable to get traction together and Laine with Scheif was gold when it was tried before. I, too, hope that Wheeler/Little reunited would work and we could have two very solid lines.

I like Myers a lot but we can't keep him as our 3rd pairing RHD. And there's no way he surpasses Trouba and Buff. So I don't see any other choice than to trade him and to do so now while he has value rather than letting him walk as UFA. Although the Jets may want to keep him one more year for a shot at the cup in 2019. I'm not sure we can fit him under the cap even until then? I guess if the likes of Laine and Connor are bridged that can be done.

Of course, this assumes Trouba legitimately wants to stay AND is willing to sign for a reasonable amount. Now that he's getting his way (RHD on top pairing) I believe him when he says he wants to stay BUT I won't be convinced he's prepare to take a reasonable contract until I see such a contract signed by him.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
If we can't resign Stastny it won't be all doom and gloom. Lots of our young guys are poised to take another step forward.

Plus it's not like the Jets were garbage before he was signed. I believe we were already on pace for the points we got or near to. He was a great pickup for sure, but as you say, there are other options if he doesn't sign.

Gurilla

former goal scorer
Jan 28, 2015
Winnipeg
My ideal lineup if we can sign Statsny

Connor - Scheifele - Wheeler
Ehlers - Statsny - Laine
Perreault - Roslovic - Armia
Tanev - Lowry - Copp/Lemeiux

Morrissey - Trouba
Niku - Byfuglien
Morrow - X

Assuming Little/Myers are some how traded

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
My ideal lineup if we can sign Statsny

Connor - Scheifele - Wheeler
Ehlers - Statsny - Laine
Perreault - Roslovic - Armia
Tanev - Lowry - Copp/Lemeiux

Morrissey - Trouba
Niku - Byfuglien
Morrow - X

Assuming Little/Myers are some how traded
I'd rather trade Perrault as he can't stay healthy and use the 4 mil to resign Stas or Myers even, but, thats just me.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Victor Rask in Carolina is probably available. He's younger and likely less expensive than Stastny (Rask is locked in at 4M for the next 3 years) . Perhaps a Myers for Rask trade would work, as Bob McKenzie reported that most Carolina players are available, and Myers would improve their D.

The Ugly Truth

May 23, 2018
Change is inevitable. Who will not be returning to the team regardless of this seasons outcome?

Gone:
1) Enstrom - too small, too old, injuries, reported family issues. Should go back to Sweden, take a year off and then play for a hometown SHL team.
2) Hendricks - not needed, blocking younger, better players
3) Stastny - too old + expensive to sign (will easily get more money + longer term elsewhere than the Jets can/should give)
4) Dano - Maurice has damaged his career long enough - #freedano
5) Matthias - not needed, blocking younger, better players
6) Petan - too small, too many better players ahead of him on this team's depth chart but could do well in Vancouver, Buffalo, Carolina, etc. Chevy needs to do the right thing and stop killing Petan's career - trade him ASAP
7) Hutchinson - too good for the AHL, not good enough to be a consistent starter in the NHL. Should go to Carolina or Buffalo
8) Mason - fragile, not mentally tough. Dumb signing (as any Flyers fan would have warned you a year ago)
9) Perreault - injuries, inconsistent scoring, blocking younger, cheaper players
10) Trouba - stock dropped somewhat this year. Would be too expensive to resign and more valuable than Myers in a potential trade (with Edmonton?) for a proven #2 centre

2018-19 Stanley Cup champions:

1) Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
2) Laine-Draisaitl/Nugent-Hopkins-Ehlers
3) Lemieux-Little-Roslovic
4) Copp-Lowry-Tanev
(Armia, Appleton)

1) Morrissey-Byfuglien
2) Kulikov-Myers
3) Niku-Morrow (if Morrow can play RD effectively)
(Chiarot, Poolman, Melchiori?)

1) Hellebuyck
2) Trade for Calvin Pickard
(Comrie - needs to be sent to
Lyle Mast to learn Head Trajectory or he may be done as a prospect)

- Lemieux deserves a roster spot in the NHL. If not with the Jets, then with some other team. Jets need to stop killing his career if they're not going to promote him next year. I went to several Moose games this year and every time Lemieux stood out with his constant hustle and grit. He hasn't complained so far about not being promoted to the NHL, but if I was his agent I would demand a trade if he isn't playing with the Jets in October. Interesting how Don Cherry kept pumping Lemieux's tires during the playoffs. I wonder if Claude Lemieux asked Cherry to do that to pressure Jets management into giving the kid a break

- Trade Myers or Trouba + Perreault to Edmonton for RNH or Draisaitl. Add on whichever side to make a fair trade

- Roslovic on 3rd line wing, eventually give him some time at centre

- Maurice needs to wake up and stop overplaying Byfuglien. 22-25 minutes/game maximum. Pushing him to 28 minutes/game against Vegas led to fatigue, mental errors and less physicality

- Trade for Calvin Pickard as a backup and stop overplaying Hellebuyck

- Vesalainen to the Moose in 2018-19

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Some people here are overreacting.

Guys we finished 2nd in the NHL, we had a fabulous playoff run where we beat the Wild and the Presidents trophy winning Predators in a 7 game series that was an all out war, and lost to a Vegas team that was being carried by Flower and had more resting time than us. We went from having 1 playoff appearance in which we got swepped, to going to the WCF for crying out loud!! We will be fine guys, our future is brighter than ever, theres no need to clean house and end up like Chicago over an unlucky series loss.

Last edited:

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
In other words its a given that Hendricks, Matthias and Dano will be let go. Not so sure about Enstrom but I think its time to cut him loose. I like the idea of signing Stastny but Trouba and Bucky are must signs, and we have to hand out contracts to our depth players in Armia, Lowry and Tanev so im not sure theres any room to sign him unfortunately. Id like to sign Morrow to a 1yr contract, he was solid whenever he was in the lineup.

Last edited:

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
- Lemieux deserves a roster spot in the NHL. If not with the Jets, then with some other team. Jets need to stop killing his career if they're not going to promote him next year. I went to several Moose games this year and every time Lemieux stood out with his constant hustle and grit. He hasn't complained so far about not being promoted to the NHL, but if I was his agent I would demand a trade if he isn't playing with the Jets in October. Interesting how Don Cherry kept pumping Lemieux's tires during the playoffs. I wonder if Claude Lemieux asked Cherry to do that to pressure Jets management into giving the kid a break

The one Jets game I was able to attend this season when back visiting home, Lemieux was in and I really liked the cut of his jib. He definitely had hustle and he scored a goal plus got into a fight. On the other hand, he also seemed lost a lot of times and a bit like he was in over his head so I was fine with him being sent back down for some more seasoning. I do hope that he's up with the big club next season.

I love me some Matty P., but I tend to agree with your assessment that he's too frequently injured and his offence completely dried up this year so I'd rather see someone like Lemieux scrapping it out in Jets colours if Perrault can be moved for a fair price.

ERYX

'Pegger in Exile
Oct 25, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Some people here are overreacting.

I don't get the impression people are talking about "blowing it up". I'm certainly not. BUT the reality is that the cap must be managed very carefully going foward as many of our brightest stars are up for big raises. This will of necessity mean moving some aging vets out and replacing them with guys on ELC. We can't get into a situation like Edmonton where we put ourselves into a bad cap situation after one good post season and end up in a world of hurt in the standings too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->