Who will be the rookie of the year in the NHL???

Status
Not open for further replies.

#37-#93-#27*

Draft Guru said:
I heard on a broadcast that he is in fact eligible for the Calder..can anyone confirm with a source?
They probably made a mistake. Spezza played 33 games, the Rookie limit is 30.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Pitkanen.

As NeelyNugs already mentioned though, Boyd Gordon is playing center to Jaromir Jagr. I expected him to spend at least half this season in the AHL, but if he sticks even when Nylander comes back, he might put up some inflated numbers.

Jul 29, 2003
Saskatoon
Visit site
Draft Guru said:
I heard on a broadcast that he is in fact eligible for the Calder..can anyone confirm with a source?

Nope. In an interview with TSN, they asked him if he was disappointed he wasted his Calder eligibility, and he said though he would've liked to win it, he just wants to do good now. He confirmed it, not Calder eligible. Alex Hemsky is another one who could've won Calder if he played in more games. His PPG was above Zetterberg's I do believe.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Flames Draft Watcher said:
Spezza's played too many games.

Once again surprise that nobody has mentioned Kobasew. Do people not know that a team exists in Calgary? This kid is older and more mature than a lot of the players mentioned here (Staal, Michalek, Fleury, etc.) I can't recall the last time an 18 year old was in the running for the Calder, it's usually the players who have developed for a few years in college, europe or the minors who make the most impact in their first season.

I think the fact NOBODY mentioned Kobasew is quite embarassing. He should be among the favourites due to his age, maturity and experience (played college, major junior AND has a year of pro hockey already under his belt including a solid season in the AHL.) Not to mention he looks like he's got the 2nd line RW spot locked down. I'm sure he'll get his due recognition in time from the posters of this board...
Hey FDW lets keep the Kobasew hype on the down low so it seems even more amazing when he dominates, :D.

Personally I have really liked what I've seen out of quite a few rookies to start this year....it'll be interesting to see who sticks the whole year. I think that will be a major point on who wins it, they generally like to give it to guys who played day in and day out. If you don't play 65+ games you would have to have been amazing to win the Calder IMO.

236nOT

Generally the player with the most pro level experience wins since he is able to keep up his play throughout the 82 game schedule.

I think Tuomo Ruutu has to be the favorite. He is a great all round player who will be lining up next to Eric Daze. His point totals in Finland (my apologies) have been impressive and his enthusiasm (hitting) will make him a favorite even when he isn't producing.

Tim Gleason would be my darkhorse (ie Homer) pick. Right now he leads the league in plus minus suggesting the defensive mistakes he made in Junior might be a thing of the past. Considering Jackman won the award last year by providing solid defense in a top 4 role, the pick may be less of a reach than it seems.

gohabsgo2010

Feb 28, 2003
sign Patrick Poulin
Michael Ryder may not win the Calder, although anyone who watches him play will have a hard time not falling in love with him. Koivu is expected to be in the line-up Thursday night, with none other than Mr. Ryder flanking him on the wing. He is not afraid to drive the net or shoot the puck, as influenced by his 11 shots on goal to date.

Ron Hainsey is playing in the Habs top four, alongside a rejuvenated Brisebois, and is getting substansial powerplay minutes. He is averaging 17:00 minutes of ice.

hannes_ko

Jun 19, 2002
Finland
Visit site
236nOT said:
I think Tuomo Ruutu has to be the favorite. He is a great all round player who will be lining up next to Eric Daze. His point totals in Sweden have been impressive and his enthusiasm (hitting) will make him a favorite even when he isn't producing.

No, no, no, in Finland, not in Sweden! I know it seems irrelevant for you guys but there is a differense. Call us Euros, but don´t call us Swedes. And I don´t have anything against Swedes..

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
I have no idea who will win it, but for a darkhorse pick I would keep my eye on Konstantin Koltsov. He did play over 24 minutes last game on a line with Lemieux and Straka.

Go Habs Go

May 23, 2002
Mississauga
www.fanhome.com
If Ryder can keep up the way he's playing right now, he'll have a chance, a slim one, but he will be considered. He has 3 pts in 3 games, he's been arguably the most energetic player the Habs have out there and the effort that he brings every night has been very impressive. I honestly never expected him to do very much, probably a very good 4th liner or maybe a decent 3rd liner. But after seeing him play these last 3 games, he has shown that he deserves to be on the top 2 lines. Hopefully he can keep it up.

wabwat

Aug 11, 2003
pasadena, ca.
Visit site
Go Habs Go said:
If Ryder can keep up the way he's playing right now, he'll have a chance, a slim one, but he will be considered. He has 3 pts in 3 games, he's been arguably the most energetic player the Habs have out there and the effort that he brings every night has been very impressive. I honestly never expected him to do very much, probably a very good 4th liner or maybe a decent 3rd liner. But after seeing him play these last 3 games, he has shown that he deserves to be on the top 2 lines. Hopefully he can keep it up.

after watching montreal whip washington's ass last night... i gotta say, i was thoroughly impressed by Ryder... this kid is pretty good eh!

SmokeyClause

Feb 27, 2002
Miami, FL
Visit site
KEVIN154 said:
I'll go out on a limb and take MEREK ZIDLIKY. :handclap:

Zids looked awesome. He's hitting, shooting and passing. He was our Andy Delmore replacement. After 3 games, mission accomplished.

He went for a massive open ice hit on Sejna (I think) and missed but got enough of Sejna that he lost his balance and missed out on a 2-1.

IGM

May 26, 2002
Visit site
I don't know, I think it will be Fluery. He is the best young goalie to come along since Roy and is going to steal a ton of games for the Pens this year.

Either him or Gleason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->