Who Will Be The Next New York Islanders Player To Be Inducted Into The Hockey Hall Of Fame?

Who Will Be The Next New York Islanders Player To Be Inducted Into The Hockey Hall Of Fame?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Roy Of Ottawa

HOCKEY HALL OF FAME
Oct 4, 2017
Who Will Be The Next New York Islanders Player From The 1980s Dynasty To Be Inducted Into The Hockey Hall Of Fame?

Bob Nystrom - 4 Stanley Cup rings; 1977 All-Star; #23 jersey retired in 1995
Legends of Hockey -- NHL Player Search -- Player -- Bob Nystrom

Brent Sutter - 2 Stanley Cup rings; 1985 All-Star; 1111 Games played; 3 Canada Cups
Legends of Hockey -- NHL Player Search -- Player -- Brent Sutter

Duane Sutter - 4 Stanley Cup rings
Legends of Hockey -- NHL Player Search -- Player -- Duane Sutter

THE NEW YORK ISLANDERS (1972-1991) HOCKEY HALL OF FAME INDUCTEES

01. 1991: Mike Bossy
02. 1991: Denis Potvin
03. 1993: Billy Smith
04. 1995: Bill Torrey
05. 1996: Al Arbour
06. 1997: Bryan Trottier
07. 2002: Clark Gillies
08. 2003: Pat LaFontaine

WHO'S NEXT?

01. Bob Nystrom
02. Brent Sutter
03. Duane Sutter

THE NEW YORK ISLANDERS (1972-1991) RETIRED NUMBERS

01. 1992: (#5) Denis Potvin
02. 1992: (#22) Mike Bossy
03. 1993: (#31) Billy Smith
04. 1995: (#23) Bob Nystrom
05. 1996: (#9) Clark Gillies
06. 2001: (#19) Bryan Trottier

WHO'S NEXT?

01. (#21) Brent Sutter
02. (#12) Duane Sutter
03. (#16) Pat LaFontaine

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
I'd like to see Nystrom inducted, but I don't think that overall it's justifiable enough. Having his number retired is though. Still lives on the North Shore, I think.
Lafontaine's departure from the Islanders probably won't get his number retired, but anyone on Long Island or the metro NY area knows how much of an ambassador he's been for charities and fundraisers, endlessly involved in good causes.
Zigmund Palffy should be considered (number retired) for pretty much carrying the team on his shoulders through the dark '90s, a fan favorite who deserved better.
Would be surprised if either Sutter gets inducted or # retired.
Similar to the Oilers dynasty, there's only so many numbers available, and I guess certain standards/qualifications for the Hall of Fame.

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
Kelly Hrudy, Ziggy Palffy, and Alexei Yashin all have way, way better cases than those three and there's no chance any of them will get a whiff of the hall.

Chara will be the next Islander going in, even though he was only there for ~200 of his most formative games.

GJB

Dr. Hook
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2002
Charlie Huddy..... oh wait this is a different thread. No one.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
I'm willing to support this if he'll retire today and never discuss hockey again. :D
At the end of this season he retires, I'm gonna miss the guy, knows alot of hockey and the history of
it, (huge subway connoisseur- trains not sandwiches). I take it you don't agree with some of his perspectives, and that's ok, curious as to why?

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
At the end of this season he retires, I'm gonna miss the guy, knows alot of hockey and the history of
it, (huge subway connoisseur- trains not sandwiches). I take it you don't agree with some of his perspectives, and that's ok, curious as to why?

The number of factual errors in his books (not opinions or perspectives, but verifiable facts) finally led me to stop using him as any level of source when doing Goaltender Trivia questions in the late 1990s.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
The number of factual errors in his books (not opinions or perspectives, but verifiable facts) finally led me to stop using him as any level of source when doing Goaltender Trivia questions in the late 1990s.
Fair enough and certainly valid reasons. Thanks.

Reactions: Doctor No

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Duane Sutter?

Kind of odd that they never retired John Tonelli's number though. I guess Gillies and Nystrom played there longer, maybe that's why they did it for them but not Tonelli.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Tonelli or Goring wouldn't be terrible choices for the HHOF. Better than Kevin Lowe or Craig MacTavish.

I'd still have to say no to them though.

Reactions: Nerowoy nora tolad

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I only knew Fischler for having completely ridiculous opinions. I didn't realize he dealt in "alternative facts", too. The journalistic ethics on this guy are just amazing.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
John Tavares

Came here to post this. Honestly, who else is there? I like Goring and Tonelli and both have better cases than Nystrom or either Sutter. Yet do either of them get in? I don't know, maybe Goring based on the whole "last player traded for before the dynasty" type of thing but the thing with either of these men is that their contributions were obvious but were their careers great?

Tavares is probably gone from the Island after this year but depending on what he does the rest of his career he might be remembered best as an Islander. Heck, he was a last second point from Jamie Benn in 2015 from winning the Art Ross. The guy has some good peak value.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Brent Sutter will get in eventually. He's on the candidates page.

Hockey Hall of Fame - Induction Showcase - 2018 Induction Eligibility

"Candidates page"?

Literally billions of people are technically candidates for HHOF induction in 2018 (and beyond). You and I both are candidates.

The fact that the NHL has included a subset of those people on a list doesn't mean much to me.

I admire your willingness to stick to your guns on this, but Sutter's not getting in. Luongo will be the next Islander to be inducted in the HHOF.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
We need an option of "other" for this poll. I don't think any of the listed will or should make it. Bob Nystrom is more memorable for me because of his playoff heroics.

I'd go with Turgeon or Tavares next for the Islanders.

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
We need an option of "other" for this poll. I don't think any of the listed will or should make it. Bob Nystrom is more memorable for me because of his playoff heroics.

I'd go with Turgeon or Tavares next for the Islanders.
Turgeon is an interesting case, 1327 points in 1294 games, 97 pts 109 playoff games. Put up good numbers wherever he went, often on teams that were underdogs or always matched up against stronger teams come playoff time, like Buffalo in a tough Adams division, BOS, QUE, MTL, and even HFD. He led the Islanders, and if the Hunter incident didn't happen, his injuries would be less and his success and numbers would be greater. Played well in Montreal but sort of became the whipping boy. STL was stuck in a tough Central division that featured DET, DAL, and TOR, and the west had such teams like Colorado and Vancouver. He was a soft skilled player who I think could get in. It depends who makes the decision, at the World Juniors (87) Punch up in Piestany, a brawl between Canada and USSR, Turgeon was the only Canadian player to not leave the bench, that may
rub some the wrong way.
Tavares has a ways to go, and hopefully has a long career on Long Island, but others should get in before him.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
If Modano and Sundin are worthy of induction, then Turgeon should be in as well. In fact, it's quite surprising he's not even listed as an option, whereas you can vote for Don Beaupre in the Capitals thread

Turgeon; 1st overall pick in '87

1327 points in 1294 regular season games (1.03 PPG)
97 points in 109 playoff games (.89 PPG)

Modano; 1st overall pick in '88

1374 points in 1499 regular season games (0.92 PPG)
146 points in 176 playoff games (.83 PPG)

Sundin; 1st overall pick in '89

1349 points in 1346 regular season games (1 PPG)
82 points in 91 playoff games (.9 PPG)

Last edited:
Reactions: brachyrynchos
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->