Who Will Be The Next Goaltender With A Losing Record To Be Inducted Into The Hockey Hall Of Fame?

Who Will Be The Next Goaltender With A Losing Record To Be Inducted Into The Hockey Hall Of Fame?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
For what it's worth, all four poll candidates are in my top 100 NHL goalies of all time (although none are in my top 50).

Meloche would have looked a lot better if he hadn't spent most of his career on some bad California/Cleveland/Pittsburgh teams. Only thing that even marginally saved his record was when they took two NHL teams' talent and merged them into one roster.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Re: the guys listed in the OP:

Lehman had a great record in the PCHA and was inducted for that league not the NHL.

Gardiner and Worters spent most of their careers playing for bad teams and each was widely considered best goalie in the world for a number of years.

Worsley is the weakest of the losing goalies who made it, but he gets a late career dynasty boost.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
Luongo will retire with a winning record, no matter how you look at it, and he does have a winning record. It will stay that way.

Again, unless you have some inside information that Luongo is retiring before next season, I have no idea how you can state this matter-of-factly. One poor season could leave him with a losing record.

Howie Hodge

Zombie Woof
Sep 16, 2017
Buffalo, NY
For what it's worth, all four poll candidates are in my top 100 NHL goalies of all time (although none are in my top 50).

Meloche would have looked a lot better if he hadn't spent most of his career on some bad California/Cleveland/Pittsburgh teams. Only thing that even marginally saved his record was when they took two NHL teams' talent and merged them into one roster.

Meloche could have ended up in Buffalo during the 1974-75 season. His record and stats moving forward would have been much better in all probability.

Years later, Punch Imlach lamented that he could have acquired a solid goaltender that year; and in not doing so, may well have cost him The Cup. He did acquire Gerry Desjardins that year, for the stretch drive, but despite looking good in the regular season, Desjardins had a psychological melt down in the playoffs, which resulted in Buffalo having to play (not healthy by then) Roger Crozier.

Later it was revealed that goalie in question was Gilless Meloche. The price would have been Lee Fogolin and Peter McNabb.

Coulda, shoulda, woulda.....

The Roy Of Ottawa

HOCKEY HALL OF FAME
Oct 4, 2017
Actually, Olaf Kolzig also has a losing record! He played in the OTL era as well. He is 303-321 when you add his OTL to his regular losses. Damn, I want to restart this poll and add a none of the above option too.

Olaf Kölzig - Wikipedia

Nikolai Khabibulin
Olaf Kolzig
Sean Burke
Don Beaupre
Gilles Meloche
None of the Above

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Kolzig is better than the others in the OP and would actually have a non-trivial shot of getting in, had Washington pulled off the huge upset in 1998. As is, I can't see it.

The Roy Of Ottawa

HOCKEY HALL OF FAME
Oct 4, 2017
Can someone please delete the first 6 options in the poll please? I found out that I could edit the poll, but I can't delete any options. Thank you. I added Kolzig, plus the other 5 options again to the bottom of poll. It's the top 6 that need to be deleted.

The Roy Of Ottawa

HOCKEY HALL OF FAME
Oct 4, 2017
All the goaltenders on the list have over 250 career wins, which is the criteria the HHOF website uses to determine which players to list on their top candidates page.

Sanf

Sep 8, 2012
Quickly thinking none of them would be in my top 10 goalies who aren´t in HHOF. If you count Emile Francis in OP maybe Jim Rutherford. But obviously not as goalie.

Reactions: Kyle McMahon

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Okay, maybe it is just me, but when I think of overtime losses I think of them as ties, not losses. They would be ties prior to 2005. So that is how I look at it. For example:

Luongo 2004 - 25-33-14
Luongo 2018 - 18-11-2

Those two overtime/shootout losses in 2018 would be ties in 2004.............so as far as I am concerned, they are ties.

Anyways, for me I picked none of the above. Kolzig, Khabibulin and Burke were all good goalies but neither were great. Khabibulin had a really bad knack of leaving a team (Tampa after their Cup in 2004, Chicago in 2009). If he is the Hawks goalie for those Cups, he's in isn't he? I think so.

Doctor No

Oct 26, 2005
hockeygoalies.org
Okay, maybe it is just me, but when I think of overtime losses I think of them as ties, not losses. They would be ties prior to 2005. So that is how I look at it.

Yes, that's an acceptable way to look at it. But then you have to also consider overtime wins as ties, not wins (for the same reason). And if you don't do that, then you reach the inevitable conclusion that every goaltender these days is above average.

Reactions: Canadiens1958

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville
Roberto Luongo is next goaltender to be introduce to the Hall of Fame after... if Price rebounce maybe and probable Henrik Lundqvist

Last edited:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
The likeliest two are Roberto Luongo and.. gosh.. Carey Price.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
The points system today is yet another reason to hate Bettman-era policies. It used to be so simple: add wins, losses, and ties = games played.

Now you need a Ph.D in math to figure out how many games teams have actually won and lost, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad