Who was the best #9 of ALL TIME????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
For the overall career, it has to be Howe. But for who was better at their peak, I might have to go with Richard. He beat out Howe for the first-team all-star RW spot a couple of times in the 50's, when he was in his mid-30's and past his prime and Gordie was in his late 20's, when you'd expect him to be at the top of his game.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
the rocket his numbers for the amount of games he played were just sick

Bruins4Ever

Sep 12, 2004
Caledonia, Ontario
MHJS said:
Howe, they didn't call him "Mr. Hockey" for nothing.

I knew someone was going to say that. I know Mr. Hockey was a great player, but Richard was more complete. He wasn't a brutal hitter like Howe, but he was speedy, nimble, and had a scoring touch like no one else. Very few people could ever catch him, and when he got in low to the net, I'd say he was the best natural goal scorer ever. Howe was more physical, but still put up incredible numbers, so it's all preference. Everyone can hit, but few could skate as fast, and dominate the game as well as Richard, and that, I think, makes him a better hockey player.

Higgy4

Jan 18, 2004
Toledo, Ohio
Lets just end the thread and call it a dead heat. We are talking about 2 of the best players to ever to lace em up.

Orv

Jan 7, 2004
Calgary, Ab/Eston,SK
Bruins4Ever said:
I know Mr. Hockey was a great player, but Richard was more complete. He wasn't a brutal hitter like Howe, but he was speedy, nimble, and had a scoring touch like no one else. Very few people could ever catch him, and when he got in low to the net, I'd say he was the best natural goal scorer ever. Howe was more physical, but still put up incredible numbers, so it's all preference. Everyone can hit, but few could skate as fast, and dominate the game as well as Richard, and that, I think, makes him a better hockey player.

Not trying to pick apart your post or be a jerkass but you say Howe could hit and score but Richard was a more a complete player. I would say just by your descriptions of each player Howe was a more complete player because he could hit and fight and score. That's just my opinion.

Zetterberg4Captain*

This is not a hard decision. Howe is by far the best #9 to play the game!

Russian_fanatic

Jan 19, 2004
Why make such a thread? Both where great, no one needs to justify who was better. Richard is the greatest goal scorer IMO, but follows him is Mike Bossy. Howe us arguably the best power forward EVER.

GB

Mar 6, 2002
UK
Lard_Lad said:
For the overall career, it has to be Howe. But for who was better at their peak, I might have to go with Richard. He beat out Howe for the first-team all-star RW spot a couple of times in the 50's, when he was in his mid-30's and past his prime and Gordie was in his late 20's, when you'd expect him to be at the top of his game.
this is pretty much how I feel, but then I am a Habs fan :)

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
At least no one has said Kariya yet! :joker:

Richard and Howe were two different players. Howe was probably the more complete player, Richard the more fiery, and the bigger threat to score a goal. And to go off the deep end and use his stick in a different way than the hockey gods intended!

Let's just call it a tie, because they are 2 of the top 4 to ever play the game (along with Orr & Gretzky).

Darz

Sep 22, 2002
Where's the ANY key?
Visit site
Rico Fata!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

J/K. I think I agree with the poster(s) who stated overall Howe has to be considered the better career wise, but at their respective peaks, Richard might have been better.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
Russian_fanatic said:
Why make such a thread? Both where great, no one needs to justify who was better. Richard is the greatest goal scorer IMO, but follows him is Mike Bossy. Howe us arguably the best power forward EVER.
the best - gordie howe
personal fave - bobby hull
don't know - richard - dad said so

i think bossy was # 22 - ( probably would have to check now )

Last edited:

x-bob

Jul 9, 2004
Montreal
Lard_Lad said:

totally agree.

Howe was impressive because of his great fitness but The Rocket had more talent.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
I find these threads kind of funny.Are you trying to rewrite history.Everyone knows
it's Howe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->