Who was better- Lemieux or Howe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
chooch said:
"The fact is HOW YOU DOMINATE YOUR PEERS IS THE DETERMINING FACTOR IN HOW GREAT YOU ARE."

How do you define "domination"?

Winning a scoring race by 60 points? Thats nonsense.

How about dominating the game of hockey?

I was rewatching the Challenge Cup Game 1 the other day - the best of 1979 NHL v. Soviets Nationals. One player thoroughly dominated the play and totally stood out and thats in a game with the best in the word (even the swedes suited up for the NHL).

That player, Lafleur, and Mario are the only players who have "dominated" in the past 30 years.

You can take all the Hart votes and scoring titles in run and gun divisions and they dont mean "domination".

Gretzky never dominated the play in games and neither did Bossy or Dionne (both of whom basically sucked in the game I rewatched) or Trottier or Sittler or Perrealt etc.

Just one game, i know, but it certainly confirmed what I remember.

Sure thing, Chooch, Gretzky never dominated a game that you saw. Gotcha.. Maybe he never had any refreshing :"Flower Power" sport drink to infuse him with the stuff to "dominate". BTW, thanks for not posting here much anymore. :)

KOVALEV10*

Bring Back Bucky said:
Sure thing, Chooch, Gretzky never dominated a game that you saw. Gotcha.. Maybe he never had any refreshing :"Flower Power" sport drink to infuse him with the stuff to "dominate". BTW, thanks for not posting here much anymore. :)

Why do so many of your posts not make any sense? Can you ever debate by posting serious stuff?

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
A thread comparing Mario Lemieux and Gordie Howe turns into a Lafleur/ Gretzky bashfest. Never saw that one coming.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
chooch said:
"
Gretzky never dominated the play in games and neither did Bossy or Dionne (both of whom basically sucked in the game I rewatched) or Trottier or Sittler or Perrealt etc.

Alzheimer's?

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
KOVALEV10 said:
Why do so many of your posts not make any sense? Can you ever debate by posting serious stuff?

As I have tried ot let you know, I'm not interested in more than friendship with you, though I appreciate your interest. Please get back on topic..

BTW, thanks for leaving threads alone lately. It's nice when you don't ruin topics with your anti-gretzky silliness. I'm sure it's over, but nonetheless, thanks for the break. :)

Ogopogo*

chooch said:
"The fact is HOW YOU DOMINATE YOUR PEERS IS THE DETERMINING FACTOR IN HOW GREAT YOU ARE."

I was rewatching the Challenge Cup Game 1 the other day - the best of 1979 NHL v. Soviets Nationals. One player thoroughly dominated the play and totally stood out and thats in a game with the best in the word (even the swedes suited up for the NHL).

That player, Lafleur, and Mario are the only players who have "dominated" in the past 30 years.

You can take all the Hart votes and scoring titles in run and gun divisions and they dont mean "domination".

I guess the obvious question is, what sort of hallucinogens do you use to create your memories?

Deleted member 3032

Crosbyfan said:
chooch said:

Alzheimer's?
:biglaugh:

Deleted member 3032

chooch said:

Umm... how is winning the scoring race by more than 60 points NOT dominating the game of hockey? What else could it be called? He blew away the competition.

KOVALEV10*

Bring Back Bucky said:
As I have tried ot let you know, I'm not interested in more than friendship with you, though I appreciate your interest. Please get back on topic..

BTW, thanks for leaving threads alone lately. It's nice when you don't ruin topics with your anti-gretzky silliness. I'm sure it's over, but nonetheless, thanks for the break. :)

There it is again. If only god had given everybody an equal mind... :shakehead

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
chooch said:

Do you base "domination" entirely on fancy moves? I get the feeling that you think the longer a player holds on to the puck before scoring the better the goal was...

I hate to just join the huge list of people who rag on your posts...but they're generally completely ridiculous...

For the record, Mike Bossy sucked his way to a goal and an assist in the game you watched ;)

KariyaIsGod*

KOVALEV10 said:

Why should he when chooch makes nothing but idiotic remarks all the time...

What are we supposed to say to comments, like "Gretzky never dominated a game"?

The idea is either absolutely Pejorative Slured or 99% of hockey fans are blind idiots...

Really, how are we supposed to respond to that?

I could've had a more serious debate with him if claimed drinking his own urine gave him superpowers... :shakehead

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
chooch said:

See, kids, this is what it means in the rule books when it talks about trolling. Then again, judging by some of chooch's past actions, I'm assuming he never read the simple, easy to understand rules for these otherwise enjoyable boards.

I'm not going to dignify your posting with any comments, other than this: you are talking about what amounts to a frickin' all-star game. Not a Canada Cup. Not the 1972 Summit Series. Not even the World Championships, World Junior Championships or Junior World Cup. You are talking about an all-star game.

Guess you never watched Game 7 of the Kings vs. Leafs series in 1993. Or the game Gretzky scored five goals in Philly to reach 50 in 39. Or Game 2 of the 1987 Canada Cup. Or that game in Vancouver in 1997 when Gretzky recorded his last hat trick. Or any of the many games where Gretzky scored at least seven points.

Excuse me while I put chooch back on my ignore list. (Which actually works pretty good. You guys should try it sometime).

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
KOVALEV10 said:
There it is again. If only god had given everybody an equal mind... :shakehead

I guess the reason I'm not as good a poster as you is that my dad was too busy watching Aurel Joliat play for the 1974 Golden Seals during the vital period of my development (age 8) I'm 34 now... Unfortunately, the lack of attention got me started smoking, and through the haze of cigarette smoke I never saw this "Gretzky" of whom you speak. I'd like to be a smart, honest poster like you, but I just don't think it's in the cards. Perhaps if I could use my time machine to travel to 1970, meet up with your dad, then get in his time machine and travel to 1975 and hang out with Marcel dionne I would be smarter, and post the ingenious stuff you add to the forum.

CH

Jul 30, 2003
Visit site
Ogopogo

Your flawed argument is this. Player A was better than peer group B by a larger margin then Player C was better then peer group D therefore Player A must be better than player C. this is false because peer group B and peer group D are likely not equivalent. In the case of Lemieux and Howe, it leads you to entirely the wrong conclusion about who was more dominant in his prime.

I gave you an example using movies to show this

You miss the point completely and complain that it was only a week by week analysis. You seem to think that if you use longer amounts of time (like full careers) that magically the problems go away (they don't - you are wrong).

Your analysis is wrong, it doesn't matter if you use hourly or weekly, or yearly any other periof to look at the stats.

You assume peer group B and D are the same. This is tantamount to assuming Wayne Gretzky and Ted Lindsay are the same. And this is wrong.

Ogopogo*

CH said:
Ogopogo

Your flawed argument is this. Player A was better than peer group B by a larger margin then Player C was better then peer group D therefore Player A must be better than player C. this is false because peer group B and peer group D are likely not equivalent. In the case of Lemieux and Howe, it leads you to entirely the wrong conclusion about who was more dominant in his prime.

You miss the point completely and complain that it was only a week by week analysis. You seem to think that if you use longer amounts of time (like full careers) that magically the problems go away (they don't - you are wrong).

Your analysis is wrong, it doesn't matter if you use hourly or weekly, or yearly any other periof to look at the stats.

You assume peer group B and D are the same. This is tantamount to assuming Wayne Gretzky and Ted Lindsay are the same. And this is wrong.

You simply misunderstand the logic behind my methods. I have tried many ways to explain it to you but, it seems you will never get it.

That is OK. It is not necessary for you to understand it to make it accurate.

You have still not come up with any evidence to prove how one era is stronger than another. Show me how you have determined that.

Last edited by a moderator:

KariyaIsGod*

CH said:
Ogopogo

Actually, his argument isn't flawed at all. His argument makes it possible to compare eras without getting hung up on all of the new technology and evolution the sport has undergone between the time two player's were in their primes.

Plus as he's said many times, his research in no way says Ted Lindsay was as good as Wayne Gretzky. Even more importantly though, if Gretzky is removed from the thing entirely, Mario still dominated less than Howe...

CH

Jul 30, 2003
Visit site
DrMoses said:
Actually, his argument isn't flawed at all. His argument makes it possible to compare eras without getting hung up on all of the new technology and evolution the sport has undergone between the time two player's were in their primes.

Plus as he's said many times, his research in no way says Ted Lindsay was as good as Wayne Gretzky. Even more importantly though, if Gretzky is removed from the thing entirely, Mario still dominated less than Howe...

You clearly can compare players from different eras but you must take into account how the game changes. Normalized points do a better job (in terms of offensive numbers) then his method - of course they are not perfect (nothing is).

Mario has several seasons with more normalized points then any of Gordie's best. So in his prime Mario was more dominant than Gordie.

Ogopogo's method is flawed. Its a case of a bad statisitican. Somebody who thinks the numbers tell the whole story and thus is never able to add anything new. There is a lot that is misrepresented in his "method". He completely loses the fact that hockey has slowly improved over time. That Mario had more dominant seasons, when compared to other dominant seasons in history, despite not outscoring his better peer group by as large a percentage as Gordie had.

It is not disparaging to history to say that there were more great players in Lemieux's time (Gretzky, Yzerman, Messier, Hull, Jagr ...) then in Howe's (Richard, Beliveau, Lindsay ...) it is merely a statement of fact. That made it a bigger acheivement to win a scoring title (for example) then it had been in the 50's.

How do you explain away Lemieux dominating Howe in points AFTER THEY ARE NORMALIZED and still claim Howe was more dominant in his prime?

Ogopogo*

CH said:
. That Mario had more dominant seasons, when compared to other dominant seasons in history, despite not outscoring his better peer group by as large a percentage as Gordie had.

How does that even make sense? Winning a scoring title by a greater percentage is clearly more dominant.

CH said:
. It is not disparaging to history to say that there were more great players in Lemieux's time (Gretzky, Yzerman, Messier, Hull, Jagr ...) then in Howe's (Richard, Beliveau, Lindsay ...) it is merely a statement of fact. That made it a bigger acheivement to win a scoring title (for example) then it had been in the 50's..

Please explain how you determine that Gretzky, Yzerman, Messier, Hull, Jagr... are a better peer group than Richard, Beliveau, Lindsay....Ullman, Mikita, Bathgate, Bobby Hull, Moore, Geoffrion, Schmidt, Olmstead, Kennedy, Mahovlich, Doug Bentley, Max Bentley...

Fact is, there are more players from the 50s and 60s among the top 50 players of all time than from the 80s and 90s.

Perhaps, you just don't know much about hockey prior to the 80s so you just deny that it was any good?

CH said:
He completely loses the fact that hockey has slowly improved over time. ..

It's called evolution. Society gets bigger, stronger, faster, smarter etc, that is just how the world works. Using your logic, we will never see the greatest hockey players in history becuase they are all in the future. Why even debate Mario vs. Gordie when even a 4th liner from the 2049-50 season will be better? :shakehead

Does it really make sense to say "Sorry Gordie, you were born too early. You can't possibly be great, you are from the 50s"?

CH

Jul 30, 2003
Visit site
CH said:
That Mario had more dominant seasons, when compared to other dominant seasons in history, despite not outscoring his better peer group by as large a percentage as Gordie had.

Ogopogo said:
How does that even make sense? Winning a scoring title by a greater percentage is clearly more dominant.

I HAVE explained this repeatedly. Lemieux scored MORE normalized points.

Gordie was playing against a weaker group of players.

Lemieux's seasons (such as his 199 point season) was a better offensive year by a significant margin then anything Gordie Howe ever managed to accomplish in his lifetime.

Its the same thing as a movie drawing a larger amount of money one week then any other movie in a different week, despite the number one drawing movie in the second week outdrawing the second movie in its week by a larger percentage.

When you compare Lemieux's best seasons to Howe's best seasons, Lemieux's are better. When you compare Howe's best seasons to those of his peer group, Lindsay, Richard etc, Howe may lead by a larger margin then Lemieux over his peer group Gretzky, Yzerman etc., but that does not mean Howe's season was better than Lemieux's. In fact in this case the opposite is true.

Ogopogo said:
Fact is, there are more players from the 50s and 60s among the top 50 players of all time than from the 80s and 90s.

Perhaps, you just don't know much about hockey prior to the 80s so you just deny that it was any good?

Thats easy, the top 50 players as you define them is WRONG. Players in the earlier days had a weaker peer group then they do today, so when you compare players to their peer groups, weaker players in the weaker peer groups will falsely appear better than stronger players in stronger peer groups.

The problem is that you do not know enough about hockey. You see these players as lines of statistics that you are unable to put into context.

Lets try a baseball example (its always good for teaching pruposes to apply methods to a wide range of topics because it will allow you to see things a new light if you apply them in areas where you lack the same preconceived biases)

In 1902 Socks Seybold lead the major leagues with 16 home runs. In 2nd place, there was a 4 way tie of players who hit 11 home runs. Seybold led the majors by a whopping 31%.

In 1998, Mark McGwire hit 70 home runs. In 2nd place, was Sammy Sosa who hit 66 home runs. McGwire led by 5.7%.

By your method, Seybold was more dominant. This is only because of a false normalization, the peer group of home run hitters in 1902 was clearly far worse than it was in 1998. I dont think anyone would argue that Sammy Sosa didn't have a more dominant season in terms of home runs in 1998 then Seybold did in 1902 EVEN THOUGH, Sosa did not even lead the league and Seybold led by over 30%. Alex Rodriguez hit 42 home runs in 1998. That was good enough for 12th overall. And he had a more dominant home run hitting season than Seybold did.

The hockey example is less obvious then the baseball one, but Lemieux played in an NHL with more good players then Howe did. Lemieux scored more points both before and after normalization in his prime seasons then Howe did and he did so against a better group of players.

In fact, it is far easier to "dominate" by % victory in Seybold's day, because the 30+% difference was only 5 home runs. Most of the largest % victory will come from the earlier days when there peer group is not as strong. If you use this number to determine who should be rated in a top 50 players you will falsely include too many early players who take the place of more deserving more recent players. In fact this is exactly what you have done.

CH

Jul 30, 2003
Visit site
Ogopogo said:
It's called evolution. Society gets bigger, stronger, faster, smarter etc, that is just how the world works. Using your logic, we will never see the greatest hockey players in history becuase they are all in the future. Why even debate Mario vs. Gordie when even a 4th liner from the 2049-50 season will be better? :shakehead

Does it really make sense to say "Sorry Gordie, you were born too early. You can't possibly be great, you are from the 50s"?

If this is what you think I am saying, then your reading comprehension is at least as poor as your statistical methods.

Ogopogo*

CH said:

Lemieux's seasons (such as his 199 point season) was a better offensive year by a significant margin then anything Gordie Howe ever managed to accomplish in his lifetime.

Its the same thing as a movie drawing a larger amount of money one week then any other movie in a different week, despite the number one drawing movie in the second week outdrawing the second movie in its week by a larger percentage.

When you compare Lemieux's best seasons to Howe's best seasons, Lemieux's are better. When you compare Howe's best seasons to those of his peer group, Lindsay, Richard etc, Howe may lead by a larger margin then Lemieux over his peer group Gretzky, Yzerman etc., but that does not mean Howe's season was better than Lemieux's. In fact in this case the opposite is true.

Thats easy, the top 50 players as you define them is WRONG. Players in the earlier days had a weaker peer group then they do today, so when you compare players to their peer groups, weaker players in the weaker peer groups will falsely appear better than stronger players in stronger peer groups.

The problem is that you do not know enough about hockey. You see these players as lines of statistics that you are unable to put into context.

Lets try a baseball example (its always good for teaching pruposes to apply methods to a wide range of topics because it will allow you to see things a new light if you apply them in areas where you lack the same preconceived biases)

In 1902 Socks Seybold lead the major leagues with 16 home runs. In 2nd place, there was a 4 way tie of players who hit 11 home runs. Seybold led the majors by a whopping 31%.

In 1998, Mark McGwire hit 70 home runs. In 2nd place, was Sammy Sosa who hit 66 home runs. McGwire led by 5.7%.

By your method, Seybold was more dominant. This is only because of a false normalization, the peer group of home run hitters in 1902 was clearly far worse than it was in 1998. I dont think anyone would argue that Sammy Sosa didn't have a more dominant season in terms of home runs in 1998 then Seybold did in 1902 EVEN THOUGH, Sosa did not even lead the league and Seybold led by over 30%. Alex Rodriguez hit 42 home runs in 1998. That was good enough for 12th overall. And he had a more dominant home run hitting season than Seybold did.

The hockey example is less obvious then the baseball one, but Lemieux played in an NHL with more good players then Howe did. Lemieux scored more points both before and after normalization in his prime seasons then Howe did and he did so against a better group of players.

In fact, it is far easier to "dominate" by % victory in Seybold's day, because the 30+% difference was only 5 home runs. Most of the largest % victory will come from the earlier days when there peer group is not as strong. If you use this number to determine who should be rated in a top 50 players you will falsely include too many early players who take the place of more deserving more recent players. In fact this is exactly what you have done.

Why do you say that the peer groups are not as strong? You have NEVER explained how you determine this.

I completely disagree with you on this issue. You simply discount anyone beyond the modern era because they are from before the modern era. That is foolishness.

I guess Babe Ruth, Wilt Chamberlain and Joe Montana were bums becuase they were born at the wrong time?

Your argument makes no sense.

All players from 1902 had the same exact rules, equipment, knowledge and fitness to deal with.

All players from 1998 had the same exact rules, equipment, knowledge, fitness and steroids to deal with.

The peer groups were the same. No player had an advantage over any other - except for natural ability and how they used it. So yes, Seybold dominated more during the 1902 season than McGwire did during the 1998 season. McGwire is likely much higher on the all time great list because he had more dominant seasons than Seybold. I am not too sure, I have never really researched baseball.

Unfortunately, your argument makes no sense. You have nothing to back up your claims that Mario played against a stronger peer group.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
CH said:

A weaker group of players? If you`re arguing that the top 20 players in the 90s were better than the top 20 in the 50s then you may have an argument. But normalized points is measured against the scoring rate of the entire league, not just the scoring rate of the top players. So if you argue that the top 10% of Lemieuxs era was better than the top 10% of Howe`s, then you`re not looking at the whole picture. What about the bottom 10%? There were 6 teams in the 50s, 21 teams in the 80s. Was the 21st best goalie of Lemieuxs era(Alain Chevrier? Peter Sidorkiwiecz?) equal to the 6th best goalie of Howes? Normalized points is a good start, but doesn`t tell the whole story.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
1957-58 at age 30 and again in 1958-59 at age 31 Gordie finishes 4th in scoring.

1967-68 at age 40 and again in 1968-9 at age 41Gordie finishes 3rd in scoring.

Did Gordie improve or did the peer group dis-evolve over those 10 years?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->