Who uses an aluminum stick?

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
I found a Bauer Supreme aluminum shaft on a bus a few months ago and bought a replacement blade for it, thinking it'd make a worthy backup to my usual Sher-Wood 5030 Coffey model.

At first I didn't like the Bauer, since it was a lot thinner and lighter than my Sher-Wood 5030. But after a few more uses it replaced the Sher-Wood as my gamestick.

But last night I had to use the wood since I noticed the Bauer's blade was broken. It was like trying to play with a log in my hands.

So it's back to the aluminum phase, at least for now. Got a new Montreal replacement blade for it and it's like an old friend is back.

While I'd love to be a composite man full-time, I still can't justify paying over $100 for a stick to use in my beer league and at pickup. Today I got two replacement blades for $20 and that's good enough for me. I invested the rest of the savings in a roast beef sandwich.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
You can get Pro stock shafts on hockeymonkey for $30, and buy a good tapered comp blade for another 30, and voila, OPS.

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
Well if you like your aluminum then great, since it'll probably last you forever...they sure do last. But if your impressed with the aluminum, the composites will probably give you even greater performance and lower weight. Like the person said above, don't need to spend too much for a good performing stick...go to like Perani's or I think it's HockeyWorld, they have like $40 OPS under WinWell which are rebaged Innos, Nikes, and Bauers I wanna say. They got some Montreals for $60 which are real good too.

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
Thanks dudes for the advice, I'll look into this build-a-stick. The thought of going back to holding woody is not a good one.

190Octane

Jun 28, 2002
Fullerton, CA
I haven't used an aluminum stick since probably '94 when I switched the Easton Ultralite. I justify paying high amounts for sticks because I normally use them a while before they break.

UAGoalieGuy

Dec 29, 2005
Richmond, VA
I think Poti still uses the Gretzky aluminum shaft. At least he did before the lockout, I don't know about now. I'm a goalie but here is my two cents. Aluminum shafts weigh a ton and the compsite sticks are about 10x's lighter then aluminum, but from what I see when my teammates use them, they go through them like they were twigs (usually last about a week or two). Aluminum will last you a lot longer then compsites for the most part. I hate those goalie compsite sticks though. I tried out the TPS one a season ago and I hated it. Compsite sticks also cost between $75-$200 as well.

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
I think Poti still uses the Gretzky aluminum shaft. At least he did before the lockout, I don't know about now. I'm a goalie but here is my two cents. Aluminum shafts weigh a ton and the compsite sticks are about 10x's lighter then aluminum, but from what I see when my teammates use them, they go through them like they were twigs (usually last about a week or two). Aluminum will last you a lot longer then compsites for the most part. I hate those goalie compsite sticks though. I tried out the TPS one a season ago and I hated it. Compsite sticks also cost between $75-$200 as well.

Think he was using a Z-Bubble...but then again, might be something painted as one. I haven't had any problems with composite stick durability at all, and haven't seen too many guys breaking them playing in adult league. I would say your shaft would be ok if you bought a OPS, and the blade is the only thing you need to worry about. But once that wears out, you can just hack saw it and buy a blade to stick in.

Steelhead16

Jan 29, 2005
Boise, ID
I still use my aluminum stick and I hope I never have to change it. I have a composite but it's just too light. I like the feeling of a stick that feels like it has some substance. True the flex is not as good and my palms are shot in my gloves and it is cold especially when I drop it and pick it up. I'm a defenseman so stickhandling isn't as big a premium to me as dropping something solid between the glove cuff and the elbow pad is. If I get 2 for slashing I want it to count. Trick is to not get caught though....:sarcasm:

Doctor Hook

Mar 11, 2006
Boston
I never noticed the cold factor, although I candy stripe my shaft in tape, provides a better grip than that metally feel.

How are Hespeler composite shafts? They got one on special at HockeyWorld.com

KariyaIsGod*

I still use an aluminum.

It's as light as any composite I've tried.

Way more durable though.

Best of both worlds.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
but from what I see when my teammates use them, they go through them like they were twigs (usually last about a week or two).

Not a chance. Composites carry 30 day warrantees. I generally got a good 3-4 months out of an OPS, but now that I've switched to two-piece sticks I'm getting 3-4 months out of the blades and 6-8 months out of the shafts.

I've only broken one composite in my life, and I generally replace them when I decide they've lost some "feel", get too whippy, or when I'm ready to change flex/blade type. But all the ones I've "retired" would probably still have plenty of life to them if you want to save a few bucks.

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
I never noticed the cold factor, although I candy stripe my shaft in tape, provides a better grip than that metally feel.

How are Hespeler composite shafts? They got one on special at HockeyWorld.com

I've heard some good things about Hespelers...but from what your looking at in the shafts, the only one I think you'd be getting since most of them were Jr., at more than 600 grams, it's a bit on the heavy side. For a mid range shaft and blade, you probably want to be under 600 grams total

jiggs 10

Dec 5, 2002
Hockeytown, ND
Visit site
I have an Easton shaft, but I don't like it much. I like the feel of wooden sticks, plus they are much cheaper and last longer than the blades in the shaft. I go through a blade every 2 weeks with the shaft, but a stick will last me 6 or 7 games, plus it feels better.

I've never tried the composite stick, WAAAY too expensive for bar league hockey! I know quite a few of my teammates have them, but one guy broke 3 of them last season alone, and at $185 per (US), that's more that my skates cost! I'll stick to the $28 Sher-Wood Coffey sticks, with an Easton shaft/blade combo as backup.

Transported Upstater

I have an Easton shaft, but I don't like it much. I like the feel of wooden sticks, plus they are much cheaper and last longer than the blades in the shaft. I go through a blade every 2 weeks with the shaft, but a stick will last me 6 or 7 games, plus it feels better.

I've never tried the composite stick, WAAAY too expensive for bar league hockey! I know quite a few of my teammates have them, but one guy broke 3 of them last season alone, and at $185 per (US), that's more that my skates cost! I'll stick to the $28 Sher-Wood Coffey sticks, with an Easton shaft/blade combo as backup.

$185?!?!?!??!

He's getting ripped off something FIERCE.

sc37

Jan 14, 2006
OH-IO
www.thescoreboards.com
Depends what sorta shaft you using...and also what blade.

I would add that hockeyworld has McKenney X-Lite composite sticks for $30...they're actually TPS Responses I do believe so might be a good place to start.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
My first stick was an Easton Classix Gretzky pattern. I put an easton wood blade in it for league, back when I played in florida on a very smooth concrete surface with poly-enamel paint on top, and then when I played in the street, I used an easton plastic street-hockey blade on it, and those things would last forever.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Not a chance. Composites carry 30 day warrantees. I generally got a good 3-4 months out of an OPS, but now that I've switched to two-piece sticks I'm getting 3-4 months out of the blades and 6-8 months out of the shafts.

I've only broken one composite in my life, and I generally replace them when I decide they've lost some "feel", get too whippy, or when I'm ready to change flex/blade type. But all the ones I've "retired" would probably still have plenty of life to them if you want to save a few bucks.
Alot depends on how often and the level you play at as well. When I was still in minor hockey (4 years ago now) I'd go through an OPS every 2 weeks on average. Some lasted a bit longer, some much less. The Vector 110 was the only one which lasted beyond the warranty period for me, and it didn't last too long beyond it. Synergy's were almost a sure-fire 10 day stick, Missions as well. Responses were the worst in my experiences, but they've come a long way now.

parkdale lad

Jun 9, 2006
I have three aluminum sticks that I use all the time- the only problem I've had is the paint wearing off! One of them though has a bit of a bend in it from constant use- when I change blades I make sure to roll the shaft over so that the bend goes the other way. I love'em and wouldn't trade them for the world- you can find them from time to time at garage sales... cheap!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad