Who to Follow in the NCAA and the ACHA?

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Hello everyone. I am new to HFboards. I am from central Illinois and enjoy hockey. I like to get some suggestions from everyone here about which NCAA and ACHA programs to follow.

If you want to follow a local NCAA hockey program, then you're out of luck since there's only two in the whole state and both are in Chicago. You might want to start following University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign since they are currently a top ACHA M1 team, and are have been on a funding campaign to add a NCAA team. If you're looking for a random ACHA or NCAA team to follow, choose the one with the coolest jerseys.

Reactions: Kingis

Kingis

Dec 14, 2019
Springfield,IL
If you want to follow a local NCAA hockey program, then you're out of luck since there's only two in the whole state and both are in Chicago. You might want to start following University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign since they are currently a top ACHA M1 team, and are have been on a funding campaign to add a NCAA team. If you're looking for a random ACHA or NCAA team to follow, choose the one with the coolest jerseys.
Barclay Donaldson - Which team in your opinion has the coolest jerseys?

Barclay Donaldson

Feb 4, 2018
Tatooine
Barclay Donaldson - Which team in your opinion has the coolest jerseys?

It's college hockey. There's 60 D1 teams, 91 D3 teams, and not many bad looking jerseys between the two. I would say do some research and make the decision for yourself, but if I had to choose a favorite it would be between Norwich University or Northeastern University.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Hello everyone. I am new to HFboards. I am from central Illinois and enjoy hockey. I like to get some suggestions from everyone here about which NCAA and ACHA programs to follow.
If you have any sentimental attachment to the Chicago Blackhawks (a sentiment which I would struggle to forgive ... :shakehead ), a logical choice for an NCAA team could be the B1G's Notre Dame Fighting Irish. The Hawks & UND have an established cooperative relationship, with ChiHawks training camps & the 2019 NHL Winter Classic (Bruins vs. Blackhawks) having been held on campus. You might-could even take in one or two of the Irish home games with a relatively easy drive from Central IL, to build your familiarity with the team. Compton Family Ice Arena @ Notre Dame is my favorite small arena for university hockey watching.

On the ACHA men's side, the league's "M1" Midwest College Hockey (MCH) Conference began play this season with three Illinois teams participating: ISU-Normal (as mentioned by @Barclay Donaldson), McKendree University-Lebanon, and NIU-DeKalb. Robert Morris U. in Chicago also has an ACHA M1 team. So those are possibilities to help familiarize yourself with the ACHA level of play.

Good luck, Happy Hockey, and welcome to HFBoards!

Kingis

Dec 14, 2019
Springfield,IL
It's college hockey. There's 60 D1 teams, 91 D3 teams, and not many bad looking jerseys between the two. I would say do some research and make the decision for yourself, but if I had to choose a favorite it would be between Norwich University or Northeastern University.
Both schools have some sweet jerseys.

Kingis

Dec 14, 2019
Springfield,IL
If you have any sentimental attachment to the Chicago Blackhawks (a sentiment which I would struggle to forgive ... :shakehead ), a logical choice for an NCAA team could be the B1G's Notre Dame Fighting Irish. The Hawks & UND have an established cooperative relationship, with ChiHawks training camps & the 2019 NHL Winter Classic (Bruins vs. Blackhawks) having been held on campus. You might-could even take in one or two of the Irish home games with a relatively easy drive from Central IL, to build your familiarity with the team. Compton Family Ice Arena @ Notre Dame is my favorite small arena for university hockey watching.

On the ACHA men's side, the league's "M1" Midwest College Hockey (MCH) Conference began play this season with three Illinois teams participating: ISU-Normal (as mentioned by @Barclay Donaldson), McKendree University-Lebanon, and NIU-DeKalb. Robert Morris U. in Chicago also has an ACHA M1 team. So those are possibilities to help familiarize yourself with the ACHA level of play.

Good luck, Happy Hockey, and welcome to HFBoards!
JMCx4 - you are pretty close to my neck of the woods living in Springfield. Thanks for the reply. The last few seasons have been tough to watch as a Blackhawks fan. Yeah, there are plenty of choices of schools that are not far away.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
JMCx4 - you are pretty close to my neck of the woods living in Springfield. Thanks for the reply. The last few seasons have been tough to watch as a Blackhawks fan. Yeah, there are plenty of choices of schools that are not far away.
@Kingis: Your Springfield, IL location puts you within a relatively easy drive of two other ACHA M1 teams who play home games in suburban St. Louis: Lindenwood University (home ice in Maryland Heights, MO in the USA Arena of the new Centene Community Ice Center); and Maryville University (home ice in Chesterfield, MO at the new MU Hockey Center). Your options are numerous.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
Not quite ideal for central illinois but I would become a Wisconsin or Notre Dame fan for hockey if I was you. Both have great jerseys :)

Then bide your time for U Illinois to join their conference as there have been many rumblings including from the athletic director that big ten hockey is coming to champaign..

Kingis

Dec 14, 2019
Springfield,IL
Not quite ideal for central illinois but I would become a Wisconsin or Notre Dame fan for hockey if I was you. Both have great jerseys :)

Then bide your time for U Illinois to join their conference as there have been many rumblings including from the athletic director that big ten hockey is coming to champaign..
@tealhockey - It might not be too long before University of Illinois joins NCAA D1 Hockey. It could happen as early as 2021-22 season.

tealhockey

@overtheboards
Jun 2, 2012
www.tealhockey.net
@tealhockey - It might not be too long before University of Illinois joins NCAA D1 Hockey. It could happen as early as 2021-22 season.
yeah I'm not holding my breath because they keep talking about it and it seems like it's just the same stuff over and over but I would love to see it because I write about big ten hockey. If they get the arena they are looking for we could be looking at the next Penn State

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... Illinois more fertile for talent than PA imo
Only so many roster spots on a D1 hockey team, so the talent concentration will have negligible impact on program success. The proximity & in-state connection to the "fertile" Chicago minor hockey pool (players AND fans) would certainly be an advantage for U-of-IL, but Penn State's draw as a university - you know, one that teaches & graduates future adults who will never make millions in the NHL - will remain far ahead of any Midwest school for the foreseeable future.

All that said, my own proximity to Champaign puts me squarely on the side of wishing for this dream to come true.

mk80

Jul 30, 2012

If you live in Springfield and are looking to follow college hockey a fun option could be following where the players from the local junior team, Springfield Jr. Blues go to. It is a good level of play if you haven't been to one of their games and the players all go to various colleges after their time in Springfield.

As for specific teams, I'll always throw in a recommendation to follow Lindenwood University in St. Charles, MO. Men's Ice Hockey The team usually plays the Jr. Blues in an exhibition game every year.

Last edited:

Kingis

Dec 14, 2019
Springfield,IL
MK80 - I actually worked for the Jr. Blues a long time ago. It has been a few years since I watched a game in person. I saw on your profile that you do broadcast for Lindenwood. I did that briefly for the Jr. Blues too. I watched a few minutes of the Lindenwood game on the internet over the weekend. Lindenwood is a pretty solid team. I think it is great that Lindenwood shares the Centene Center with the St. Louis Blues. From what I saw, the Centene Center is a great facility.

If you live in Springfield and are looking to follow college hockey a fun option could be following where the players from the local junior team, Springfield Jr. Blues go to. It is a good level of play if you haven't been to one of their games and the players all go to various colleges after their time in Springfield.

As for specific teams, I'll always throw in a recommendation to follow Lindenwood University in St. Charles, MO. Men's Ice Hockey The team usually plays the Jr. Blues in an exhibition game every year.

Reactions: mk80

mk80

Jul 30, 2012
MK80 - I actually worked for the Jr. Blues a long time ago. It has been a few years since I watched a game in person. I saw on your profile that you do broadcast for Lindenwood. I did that briefly for the Jr. Blues too. I watched a few minutes of the Lindenwood game on the internet over the weekend. Lindenwood is a pretty solid team. I think it is great that Lindenwood shares the Centene Center with the St. Louis Blues. From what I saw, the Centene Center is a great facility.
I hope you'll tune into some broadcasts in the future, this weekend wasn't my best since I was fighting a cold. I'm not sure how much exactly the university put into the project but the estimate I've heard is $20-30mil. It's definitely a top notch facility for college hockey and a much needed facility for hockey in the St. Louis area, we just need to start filling the seats.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... I'm not sure how much exactly the university put into the project but the estimate I've heard is $20-30mil. It's definitely a top notch facility for college hockey and a much needed facility for hockey in the St. Louis area, we just need to start filling the seats.
@mk80: I can only stretch my aging body out over so many seats @ Centene. I need some more folks to pitch in. :eek:

Reactions: Kingis and mk80

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad