who thinks Lemieux, Gretzky, Messier and Yzerman couldnt get a deal done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brent Burns Beard

Powered by Vasiliev Podsloven
Feb 27, 2002
who thinks Gretzky and Mario with Mark Messier and Steve Yzerman could get together to find the common ground.

These 4 are considered the greatest on ice leaders of their generation. They now equally balance 2 owners and 2 players.

Surely these 4 can forget about the legal and business manouvering and talk straight up about what each side can live with.

Is Mess going to accuse Gretzky of lying and having alterior motives ? Is Mario going to tell Yzerman that their concerns are of no consequence ? Mario is also a player after all !

Surely, if common ground can be found, these 4 have the best shot of finding it.

DR

EDIT: WELL, I WAS CLOSE TO RIGHT ... IT DID TAKE 66 AND 99 TO GET INVOLVED AND ALSO STEVE HAD A ROLE WITH HIS COMMENTS TO GET THE BALL ROLLING

Last edited:

tritone

Aug 26, 2003
Laval
Visit site
DR said:
who thinks Gretzky and Mario with Mark Messier and Steve Yzerman could get together to find the common ground.

These 4 are considered the greatest on ice leaders of their generation. They now equally balance 2 owners and 2 players.

Surely these 4 can forget about the legal and business manouvering and talk straight up about what each side can live with.

Is Mess going to accuse Gretzky of lying and having alterior motives ? Is Mario going to tell Yzerman that their concerns are of no consequence ? Mario is also a player after all !

Surely, if common ground can be found, these 4 have the best shot of finding it.

DR

If anyone of them had an answer I'm sure it would have been put forward already...part of the problem is exactly what you said "they could put aside the business maneouvering" ... this is part of the process and needs to be done to achieve the best deal for each respective side.....neither one wants to meet straight down the middle so it just won't happen.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Too bad they aren't in charge of the NHL, PA respectively. You've got two very skewed agendas and personalities that surely wouldnt be buddy-buddy about this.

I'm sure the NHL, PA have it set this way that Bettman, Goodenow aren't friends. Imagine if they were.... Goodenow in the sack with Bettman might mean the players get screwed... By-design, Goodenow shouldnt be friends with the "enemy" and should bargain to his end over the rights of his players. It's all business

After all, does anyone remember Al Eagleson?

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
futurcorerock said:
Too bad they aren't in charge of the NHL, PA respectively. You've got two very skewed agendas and personalities that surely wouldnt be buddy-buddy about this.

I'm sure the NHL, PA have it set this way that Bettman, Goodenow aren't friends. Imagine if they were.... Goodenow in the sack with Bettman might mean the players get screwed... By-design, Goodenow shouldnt be friends with the "enemy" and should bargain to his end over the rights of his players. It's all business

After all, does anyone remember Al Eagleson?
i wouldnt put it past a bettman/goodenow combo to cheat the players. i strongly disagree that MEssier, Yzerman, Lemiuex and Gretky would conspire to rip off hte players.

Whether they have put forward idea's through their channels or not. the privacy of those 4 being in the room would get the concepts through with much less "noise".

i think if those men are truly the leaders the newspapers tell us they are, they will fix this mess and tell the lawyers and mba's go "manouver" themselves in the corner.

dr

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
DR said:
i wouldnt put it past a bettman/goodenow combo to cheat the players. i strongly disagree that MEssier, Yzerman, Lemiuex and Gretky would conspire to rip off hte players.

Whether they have put forward idea's through their channels or not. the privacy of those 4 being in the room would get the concepts through with much less "noise".

i think if those men are truly the leaders the newspapers tell us they are, they will fix this mess and tell the lawyers and mba's go "manouver" themselves in the corner.

dr

You want four guys with nary a college credit between them to decide how to divide a $2.1 billion pie and settle the fate of an industry that employees thousands? No thanks.
No disrespect to those guys, but they clearly lack the financial expertise for something like this.

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
CarlRacki said:
You want four guys with nary a college credit between them to decide how to divide a $2.1 billion pie and settle the fate of an industry that employees thousands? No thanks.
No disrespect to those guys, but they clearly lack the financial expertise for something like this.
understood ... but we can leave the technical part to the monkey's.

these 4 can cut through the crap that is being spewed in the name of "process".

we just need them to find what the common ground really and truly is. Mario is not going to tell Yzerman that "the players are no more important than a GM worker" and Messier isnt going to tell Gretzky that he doesnt trust him.

dr

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Well they'd either come out of it looking like legends or they'd be tarred and feathered with their reputations in tatters. They could even stike a fair deal that the players reject or the owners reject.

If its me I try and stay out of it and let the professional scum deal with the matter.

Brent Burns Beard

Feb 27, 2002
me2 said:
Well they'd either come out of it looking like legends or they'd be tarred and feathered with their reputations in tatters. They could even stike a fair deal that the players reject or the owners reject.

If its me I try and stay out of it and let the professional scum deal with the matter.
well are they leaders or frauds ?

dr

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
DR said:

DR

Why is it that you think the 4 of the highest paid playes in the NHL could solve the NHL/NHLPA lock-out issue?

Mario is drawing over a $5M a season salary and has been for the past three seasons. That of course is after he made almost $12M in 96-97 before he took those 4 seasons off for his health.

Wayne was one of the highest paid players in his day ( only one season in his career did he make less than $2M and that was his rookie year) how exactly is he going to sell the $850,000 rookie cap with no bonus?

Yzerman who made almost $6M last season and had accumulated almost $65M over his career same for Messier.

How do you think these 4 four are going to agree to a salary cap??

I don't disagree that there are players out there that could solve this issue, but it isn't those 4. Great players don't necessarily make great negotiators.

Brent Burns Beard