Who takes more hits, Crosby or Perry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
When Perry reaches his NHL weight (215-225), he will most likely be atleast as effective when it comes to physical play than Crosby.

not necessarily...a lot more factors in there than just size. skating style (affecting stability and center of gravity, etc) strength (just because perry may end up bigger does not mean he'll be stronger or even as strong as crosby when it comes to taking hits and playing in traffic, relative size and strength and all that)

it also depends on what you're trying to define as physical play...i don't know how much crosby does in the way of initiating checks on players with the puck, knocking people around, etc...but again the conversation was originally more about his ability to control the puck in traffic and take the hits and bumps that come with that and still be very effective.

alecfromtherock

Feb 2, 2004
Sammy said:
What garbage. I guess any tall guy who playsd in the NHL wil be as effective as Crosby playing a physical game.
Furthurmore, its far from a sure thing Perry will ever play in the NHL as a regular.

Yet you and your kind automatically assume that Crosby will make it in today’s NHL? No other prospect seems to be able to ‘make’ it in the NHL if Crosby is in the same sentence.

AO, Malkin, Perry, Weber... can not transcend their current game into the NHL yet Crosby’s game will transcend the second he steps on NHL ice?

Crosby has taken more punishment in the Memorial Cup(the only fair medium to compare the 2 players) then Perry has thus far.

Perry dives and Crosby uses the Great One’s trademark STARE at the officials/hits the boards in anger after he is called for hooking when they just allow the other players to ‘get away’ with simular plays on him. Scrap em’ both as they are useless!

Q: Did the Knights ever threaten to not play Perry in away games because of all of the abuse he receives from the other teams ala Rimouski and Crosby?

Crosby’s ‘in yo face’ game-style does not need any changes at the NHL level? Correct me if I am wrong but are NHL D-men/players/goalies going to ‘rollover’ as some of their junior counterparts seem to do with Crosby, or will he just simply dodge every hit that goes his way with his superior agility/speed?

Perry’s shoot from the point game-style seems to allow a lot of manoeuvring room from what his NHL team want of him. As evident from Thursdays game Perry is not just a ‘shoot from the point’ player but is capable of behind-the-net/point-blank-range play-maker using his soft hands.

I will be quite surprised if any junior player will not have to make adjustments to their game and still be as effective at the NHL level.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
To answer the original question, I feel confident in saying Crosby takes far more hits. Not to say that Perry isn't abused on the ice, because that is clearly not the case, but teams often gear their entire team defence around Crosby. Teams will BS and say they don't do anything special, but (and this is far more noticable live than on TV), but compare a Rimouski opponent's defensive positioning with and without Crosby on the ice. It is, sometimes, entirely different systems.

My point is this. Team's focus on Crosby like no other player in the CHL because of what he can do. Also, because he is Mr Big Shot and is on TV, has the endorsements, etc, he has a bigger, red "X" on his chest and back for players to try to take a liberty on him. And, like any star, he has to deal with hacks like Cabana just making bad choices and, well, for lack of better term, blatantly try to seriously injure him.

So, in my opinion, Crosby takes far more punishment than Perry simply because he is a bigger threat and because of the extra attention he receives on and off the ice.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
monster_bertuzzi said:
Perry and Crosby both take dives...
Agreed. In fact, Brad Bonello, Danny Fritsche, and Brandon Prust have come across as quite the divers and embellishers in recent games too. Is Prust not gritty because he dives? Diving is part of the London game, it's part of Hunter's coaching trademark, and it's really becoming increasingly prevalent to my eyes all over the CHL. I think Perry is far far from the worst offender on his team or in the league, and while I would love to see the diving come out of the game, I don't think it automatically disqualifies a player from being gritty. Claude Lemieux was a gritty player too.

Anyway, it depends on how you want to define grit. I would say that neither Perry nor Crosby is as gritty as Prust. They shouldn't be! They aren't supposed to be 3rd/4th line grinders, they have other work to do.

But at the same time, I wouldn't disparage Perry as a floater or a perimeter player anymore either, he gets in there and holds his own when he needs to. That's about as much as you can ask of a superstar talent like him. Just because Crosby goes the extra mile beyond that should be no knock on what Perry does.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
From today's Toronto Sun, how GMs/scouts see London Knights:

* Corey Perry, RW, Mighty Ducks of Anaheim.

Plays like: Jason Allison, Los Angeles Kings (2002-03, 6-22-28, 22 PIM).

"He'll play in the NHL and eventually, on the top two lines," one evaluator said. "The knock on him is his skating but he thinks the game at a level different from 90% of the league. Jason Allison could kill you standing still and you can say the same thing about Corey Perry."

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/Junior/2005/05/27/1058690.html

Hunter74

Sep 21, 2004
I think both players are pretty gritty. Both will take a hit along the boards to make a play happen. Then right after being crunched along the boards neither starts to whine to the official they both get refocused on the play and there objective of trying to score a goal. then after the whistly they both start whinning.

Personally I think Perry gets hit more as he's not as agile or good of a skater as Crosby is. Not that Crosby goes to great lengths to dodge hits b/c he's so strong on his skates he has the ability to role off alot of them at this level.

Yes teams see Crosby as a bigger target when he's out there b/c he's the bigger name but Perry is a very dangerous player out on the ice as well and teams pay special attention to him aswell or they will be burned. You could also say Crosby gets more attention b/c his team isn't as deep as the London squad.

Either way both players are gonna have an adjustment period to the NHL game. The NHL game is alot faster and the players there are ALOT stronger. Which means when Crosby and Perry decide to try some of there fancy stick work there gonna have to start to be able to do it at a faster pace. Plus it wont be so easy for them to spin off or fight through checks in the NHL as it is in the CHL.(obviously) These are just a couple things there gonna have to adjust to. There is big difference between spinning off Marc Methots check than there is spinning off Prongers check.

As for diving well Perrry dives more but Crosby dives quite abit aswell from what i have seen so far. Neither player dived while playing for team Canada. But considering coach Hunters game plan has his players diving and whatnot makes you wonder if Perry wasn't incouraged to dive would ther be much of a difference between the 2? I dont think its a problem for either player.

London Knights

Jun 1, 2004
No they didn't threaten to sit Perry for road games, but they did sit him for the final games of the season because there were persistent runs to take him out by teams out of the playoffs, or as bottom seeds with no chance of advancing deep into the playoffs.

To say that Crosby doesn't get more abuse is incorrect. Crosby is the better individual player and the best players are the ones who take the most abuse. But some of the negativity towards Perry, I just don't get. Not that the QMJHL isn't a physical league, but it's reputation is as the offensive haven of Canadian hockey. Saying that the OHL is a sissy league compared to the Q is like saying you would rather take defensemen from any other league but the Western Hockey League.

For two years Perry has been at the top of the scoring charts in the OHL (no he wasn't first last year but he was close). He surpassed the Knights individual scoring record and pulled in all the major hardware in the OHL. And now he is right in the running to pick up the Memorial Cup MVP award pending the outcome of the semi-final game...and if Rimouski wins (they are the favourite but as has been said about all games, in single elimination format anything can happen) the result of the Championship game. He also matched the play of his linemates at the WJHC.

Never in my wildest dreams would I sit there and say I would take Corey Perry aheard of Sidney Crosby but based on performance this past year both have played very close. Crosby's performance is more impressive as he did it at a younger age but to deny the outstanding season of Perry is unfair.

Absolutely no player is guaranteed to be successful at the NHL level. As much as Crosby's game looks like it will be effective, you don't know until it happens. I would never want to bank on a player before they bypass junior hockey. Jeff Carter has been mentioned many times as one of the best Canadian prospects. His OHL point totals are kind of crappy for the hype he has. But his production in the AHL playoffs and the Junior Championships are what picks up his stock. Crosby has the WJHC proven ability under his belt, but so does Perry.

Nothing is stopping some goon from taking a run at Crosby in his first game, giving him a concussion and we never see Crosby again. Or maybe he snaps under the pressure. Living under the microscope since the age of 15 is a very difficult thing to do. He has handled it very well but you never know. Maybe one day he just decides he doesn't want to play hockey anymore and pulls a Daigle.

Obviously those scenarios are unlikely but there are no guarantees in life. Crosby could be a huge star, or he could be a bust. Or he could be somewhere in between. I would rather put him on the higher end, but let him show it before he is forced up on the pedestal besides the greats of the game. The same could happen for Perry or any other prospect who ever gets drafted.

As for diving, they both dive/embellish. But you know who's fault that is, the referees. Star players who stay on their feet don't get the calls anymore. If a player is skating to the front of the net and he is carrying a 200 pound winger on his back there is no call. But if they get hooked and go down they tend to get calls.

The Knights game is centred around the down low cycle so Perry would have much lower point totals if he was a floater.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
London Knights said:
The Knights game is centred around the down low cycle so Perry would have much lower point totals if he was a floater.
One thing I was reminded of last night, which might be where some of the comments in this thread are coming from, is that the Knights haven't had the same dominating cycle game in the Mem Cup as they did throughout the season. They are setting Perry up at the point on the PP more often than before in the season when his dominant position was parked at the left of the crease. Prust in front of the net and more activity from the blueline might be an adaptation to the tougher competition in this tournament, and now the Knights aren't looking like they're on a PP when they're 5-on-5 anymore, so you see less of Perry down low than we did against regular OHL teams. :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->