Who shouldn't be on your Olympic Team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EJsens1

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
With the Olympics only days away and being able to assess who is playing well heading into the Olympics, are there any particular players that you feel shouldn't be playing for your country because of their lacklustre play???

For Canada, IMO, here a few players:

Kris Draper...I'm sorry, but he has done nothing all season to warrant this selection. Yes, he is a grinding player and was there at the 2004 World Cup, but I don't think he should be in Turin

Martin St. Louis...has had a couple points the last few games, but has not elevated his play like Lecavalier the last few weeks. Should not be going.

Todd Bertuzzi...Too inconsistent and brings alot of baggage to the team. Should not be going.

I'm very curious from other countries who their fans think shouldn't be there either. If you'd like to sugest who the replacement should be, feel free.

Macman

May 15, 2004
I agree about St. Louis. Staal should be there. I disagree about Draper. He's the best shutdown guy in the world and a great penalty killer and has proven it repeatedly in international play. He'll be in the back pocket of every No. 1 player on all other teams. I can see your point about Bertuzzi, but I think he's going to be unbelievably motivated at the Olympics.

shawn_kemp*

why are you all bashing Bertuzzi?

he's a great player and has a strong Canadian spirit

Leo Naphta

May 14, 2004
On top of the World
For Sweden: Mika Hannula. It's an absolute joke that he is there. He would have a hard time cracking Sweden's C-team if I was in charge.

I personally don't think that Jörgen Jönsson should be there either, but in his case it is more debatable.

Stefan Liv should also be replaced by Johan Holmqvist as the 3rd goaltender, but that doesn't really matter.

ryz

Dec 24, 2004
Canada
shawn_kemp said:

How he plays on the ice aside, I'd say a large majority of Canadian hockey fans outside of BC just don't want him on the team for obvious reasons. I'd more than gladly drop Bert to play Staal or Spezza.

EJsens1

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
shawn_kemp said:

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not, but....

He hasn't been playing well. He's got great talent, but he hasn't been showcasing it at all this year IMO. Someone said above he'll be motivated for the games. Maybe. I recall some people claiming he would have a great comeback and be motivated after the Moore incident. So far, I haven't seen it. Then, he would get motivated to make the Canadian team. I didn't see it but he made the team anyway. I haven't seen any improved play since being named to the team. I don't think he will be a liability, but is he really going to be an asset based on what we have seen this year? I would say no.
I don't question his loyalty to Canada. No reason to believe otherwise.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
shawn_kemp said:

Shane Doan.

The guys a great player but just not suited for the olympic style of game. At the world championships he was nothing but a liability on the big ice. Bertuzzi could fall into that same category as well.

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
For Team Canada:
Although the Bert & Doan picks might be questionable...The only guy i'd really drop is St. Louis..he's having a very ordinary season...and he hasn't proven himself enough yet to warrant a selection in my opinion (1 season)..

but the problem is he can't be replaced by a Staal or Spezza..cause both these guys are centers and St. Louis is a winger..

Nihilism

May 2, 2003
Canada
Shane Doan has no business on the team. No one can make an argument that he should be on instead of Eric Staal.

McCabe is horrible on the big ice, he'll screw up. Rather see Boyle or Phaneuf back there.

yarre

Oct 13, 2005
Gothenburg
blamebettman said:
Weinhandl on team Sweden.

He isn't on the team. Even if I am a fan of HV71 where Hannula plays I can't understand why he is going to the Olympics, he isnt even one of the three best forwards on HV71...

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Keith Tkachuk: he embarassed the team in Nagano with his boozing and I blame that in large part for not having a World Cup in 2000.

Derian Hatcher: slow-footed and dirty, shouldn't be in ahead of Leetch.

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
Nihilism said:
Shane Doan has no business on the team. No one can make an argument that he should be on instead of Eric Staal.

I'll make the argument right now. Doan has the experience (which Hockey Canada loves) and he's a winger, Staal is not.

Force

Jan 26, 2006
Kölzig for Germany. Well he shouldn't be #1. Müller is simply the better man.

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
Chris Draper have no business on this team.

Best defensive forward in the world and 3 goals in 53 games doesnt not belong in the same sentence in my opinion? You actually have to ''hurt your opponent'' from time to time... If not, you are simply buying some times on the ice with good defensive plays until the opponent scores (even if it's once a game...).

Canada have the most depth of any teams at forward and can match almost any of their 4 lines against the top opponent team with decent to good results.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
For Russia:

Kharitonov, should be replaced with Morozov.
Kulyash, should be replaced with Tverdovsky.
Viktor Kozlov, should be replaced with Brylin.
Vishnevsky, should be replaced with Viktor Kozlov (13th forward).

Let alone the injures/declinations we suffered.

MAF

Feb 22, 2005
Force said:
Kölzig for Germany. Well he shouldn't be #1. Müller is simply the better man.
That is why Kölzig has won a Vezina couple of years ago and is the 2nd biggest reason that Washington is not the worst team in the league. :shakehead

Danny__K

Oct 6, 2005
for canada

McCabe should not be there, the reason he is is because Quinn would be lynch in TO otherwise. In terms of talentwise he's probably outside the top 10.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Danny__K said:
for canada

McCabe should not be there, the reason he is is because Quinn would be lynch in TO otherwise. In terms of talentwise he's probably outside the top 10.

Consider yourself lucky. Krikunov is bringing 3 players from his 7th placed team in the RSL... 4 if you count the injured Bykov.... :help:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad