Who should the Jets Buyout?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweech

Oh When the Spurs
Jun 30, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Bogo makes as much sense as the rest of em. None. :)

Exactly.

Buying a guy out that's overpaid (Hainsey or Antropov) makes no sense. You still pay that guy, it still counts against the cap, and he's better than the alternative.

I don't think some fellow fans understand how a buyout works...

wpgsilver

Jun 14, 2011
Winnipeg
The thought of buying out Hainsey scares me.
Who would replace him?
Theres no point buying someone out if it just creates a massive hole in your roster.

Lynk

Registered Bro
Apr 18, 2006
Ontario, Canada
14 votes for Hainsey? Are these all just troll votes angry about his NHLPA representation? We don't have anyone who should be bought out. Gagnon is closest.

The opinions of him are severely different at the end of last season to now.

I went back and read many threads towards the end of the season to try and get a general consensus on where he stands with most, and looking at it now it's almost a complete 180. And that is with absolutely zero hockey being played.

So it's not hard to understand what has caused it to change.

With respect to the topic at hand, buying someone out who is on the last year of their contract with no one else to replace them is simply hogwash. But, at the end of the day someone will have to step into that top 4 role with Bogo, Toby and Buff as I'm about 99% sure Ron will not be re-signing for obvious reasons.

Certain bridges have already been burned.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
The opinions of him are severely different at the end of last season to now.

I went back and read many threads towards the end of the season to try and get a general consensus on where he stands with most, and looking at it now it's almost a complete 180. And that is with absolutely zero hockey being played.

So it's not hard to understand what has caused it to change.

With respect to the topic at hand, buying someone out who is on the last year of their contract with no one else to replace them is simply hogwash. But, at the end of the day someone will have to step into that top 4 role with Bogo, Toby and Buff as I'm about 99% sure Ron will not be re-signing for obvious reasons.

Certain bridges have already been burned.

I didn't know that bridges had been burned? Has the org soured on him or vice versa? All I've really seen is some vocal fans being critical of his pay, and others who are upset at him over his role in the lockout, though I think those people are fans of more than just the Jets?

I didn't know there was a more serious rift?

Lynk

Registered Bro
Apr 18, 2006
Ontario, Canada
Nah, it's not the ownership or anything like that.

It's how the fans view him and what will most likely happen were he to step on the ice in a Jets jersey this year.

He knows how people see him by being Fehr's right hand man and always in the spotlight during this lockout. So this will most likely be the last in Winnipeg.

Brian Cadle Fan

Sep 15, 2011
I won't hold any grudge against Hainsey when he returns to the ice.

He's said some things I strongly disagree with, but I've said stupider things in my lifetime.

I absolutely refuse to take a side in this lockout. When they figure it out, I'm ready to watch some NHL hockey.

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
The Jets can't afford to buy-out anyone... nor is there a reason to. We don't have a Gomez or DiPietro on the squad. Plus, who do you replace with? It isn't like the organization has a plethora of talent waiting in the wings (thanks ASG).

If the poll asked "who should be kicked in the balls repeatedly" then the answer would clearly be Hainsey.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Nah, it's not the ownership or anything like that.

It's how the fans view him and what will most likely happen were he to step on the ice in a Jets jersey this year.

He knows how people see him by being Fehr's right hand man and always in the spotlight during this lockout. So this will most likely be the last in Winnipeg.

We'll see How the year goes Lynk. Lets hope the Jets play well and make the playoffs and we can put this behind us. I am pro TNSE but hold no grudges against Ron......when this is done its done but sadly I will probably be in the minority.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
We'll see How the year goes Lynk. Lets hope the Jets play well and make the playoffs and we can put this behind us. I am pro TNSE but hold no grudges against Ron......when this is done its done but sadly I will probably be in the minority.

I am not down on Ron. He isn't responsible for the lockout. If anything his PA representation is a plus. He stepped up in a big way to help lead the player charge. He took bullets for all of them. Unless his teammates have an issue with him I would hope TNSE wouldn't steer clear out of petty bitterness.

Let him play or somebody make him expendable then judge him.

Mathil8

▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌│▌▌│▌▌▌
Jul 24, 2011
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I am not down on Ron. He isn't responsible for the lockout. If anything his PA representation is a plus. He stepped up in a big way to help lead the player charge. He took bullets for all of them. Unless his teammates have an issue with him I would hope TNSE wouldn't steer clear out of petty bitterness.

Let him play or somebody make him expendable then judge him.

Agreed. I hold no grudges against Hainsey. I'm guessing most will drop any hostility towards him when the pucks drops. Especially once he gets his 6 goal game :sarcasm:

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
If there was a thread on most useless Jets players then Antropov, Miettinen and Ponikarovsky come to mind.

You realize that Ponikarovsky is one of the leagues best players for taking defensive/shutdown 3rd line minutes right...

You realize Antropov had
*the 5th highest even strength point rate per ice time (1: Kane, 2: Wellwood (lots of secondary assists, the rest was equal to Antropov... exactly equal), 3: Wheeler, 4: Ladd)
*3rd in PP point rate (of the regulars who players who played forward not point; 1: Wheeler, 2: Little)
*4th best PKer (of regulars; 1: Burmistrov, 2: Ladd, 3: Little, 4: Antropov)

Last edited by a moderator:

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Rumour has it the BOG want's two buyouts per team.

Jets: Antro, Hainsey

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Rumour has it the BOG want's two buyouts per team.

Jets: Antro, Hainsey

The buyouts wouldn't be for 2012-13. They'd be for the 2013-14 season. Antro and Hainsey are both UFA's at the end of June this year. According to Capgeek, the only players signed for 2013-14 are:

Kane (5 years remaining at $5.25 MM each / Buyout cost $9.5 MM)
Jokinen (1 year remaining at $4.5 MM / Buyout cost $3.0 MM)
Ladd (3 years remaining at $4.4 MM each / Buyout cost $9.0 MM)
Slater (2 years remaining at $1.6 MM each / Buyout cost $2.13 MM)
Thorburn (1 year remaining at $866K / Buyout cost $600K)
Byfuglien (3 years remaining at $5.2 MM each / Buyout cost $11.67 MM)
Enstrom (5 years remaining at $5.75 MM each / Buyout cost $19.17 MM)
Stuart (1 year remaining at $1.7 MM / Buyout cost $1.2 MM)
Pavelec (4 years remaining at $3.9 MM each / Buyout cost $5.42 MM)
Scheifele (2 or 3 years remaining at $1.59 MM each)
Klingberg (1 year remaining at $870K)
Telegin (2 years remaining at $698K)
Melchiori (2 years remaining at $672K)
Chiarot (2 years remaining at $618K)
Sol (1 year remaining at $578K)

And the last 6 players on that list are all on two-way deals that don't count against the cap and pay them $55K - $70K when they're down in St. John's.

So everyone else is either a UFA or RFA at the end of this season. I don't think buyouts are going to be a priority for the Jets. I think it's a bit of an issue that the team has only 9 NHLers signed for next season.

Last edited:

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
The buyouts wouldn't be for 2012-13. They'd be for the 2013-14 season. Antro and Hainsey are both UFA's at the end of June this year. According to Capgeek, the only players signed for 2013-14 are:

Kane (5 years remaining at $5.25 MM each / Buyout cost $9.5 MM)
Jokinen (1 year remaining at $4.5 MM / Buyout cost $3.0 MM)
Ladd (3 years remaining at $4.4 MM each / Buyout cost $9.0 MM)
Slater (2 years remaining at $1.6 MM each / Buyout cost $2.13 MM)
Thorburn (1 year remaining at $866K / Buyout cost $600K)
Byfuglien (3 years remaining at $5.2 MM each / Buyout cost $11.67 MM)
Enstrom (5 years remaining at $5.75 MM each / Buyout cost $19.17 MM)
Stuart (1 year remaining at $1.7 MM / Buyout cost $1.2 MM)
Pavelec (4 years remaining at $3.9 MM each / Buyout cost $5.42 MM)
Scheifele (2 or 3 years remaining at $1.59 MM each)
Klingberg (1 year remaining at $870K)
Telegin (2 years remaining at $698K)
Melchiori (2 years remaining at $672K)
Chiarot (2 years remaining at $618K)
Sol (1 year remaining at $578K)

And the last 6 players on that list are all on two-way deals that don't count against the cap and pay them $55K - $70K when they're down in St. John's.

So everyone else is either a UFA or RFA at the end of this season. I don't think buyouts are going to be a priority for the Jets. I think it's a bit of an issue that the team has only 9 NHLers signed for next season.

Well I think you could probably consider Wheeler, Burmistrov, Little and Bogosian all but signed... so 13... bit better???
And most likely same for Postma and Machacek...

JetsHomer

Nov 29, 2011
Scott Gomez and a first for the Jets seventh. Then buy him out for Montreal :p

Gungagalunga

Dec 31, 2012
Under a rock
I don't think we buy anyone out. We don't have any brutal contracts. And any players that are overpaid, we still need.

Whoa, easy there. Hainsey's contract is pathetic. I like the guy, but let's get real, he's a 5th D-man at best. At $5,000,000 per? See ya!

Other than Hainsey, I would suggest the Jet's contracts are basically in-line with league standards.

Last edited:

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Whoa, easy there. Hainsey's contract is pathetic. I like the guy, but let's get real, he's a 5th D-man at best. At $5,000,000 per? See ya!

Other than Hainsey, I would suggest the Jet's contracts are basically in-line with league standards.

1) Hainsey is the Jets #4 D man.
2) He is only making $3 Mill this year.
3) The buyout is for the off-season at which point Ron will be a free agent.
4) We don't have anyone better.
5) Even if we could buy him out now, paying him to sit and paying a replacement would cost more money and make the Jets worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->