Who Should Sens Take at #29?

Roy G Biv*

I doubt your Daddy is a scout, but I really don't want Brett Maclean.

hoppy

EK65
Jun 11, 2006
St. John's
I doubt your Daddy is a scout, but I really don't want Brett Maclean.

If Brett MacLean, a 100 point scorrer in the OHL rolled up to my feet at 29th in the draft, I'd be satisfied taking him.
Don't even mention Tavares...
There's more to being a leach when you reach triple digets.

He's another question mark I'd be fine drafting.
At least we know he's effective with other skilled players..

If Mike Oke of ISS sees St. Louis taking him at #9 overall, there's gotta be more to him than Tavares' linemate.

Roy G Biv*

If Brett MacLean, a 100 point scorrer in the OHL rolled up to my feet at 29th in the draft, I'd be satisfied taking him.
Don't even mention Tavares...
There's more to being a leach when you reach triple digets.

He's another question mark I'd be fine drafting.
At least we know he's effective with other skilled players..

If Mike Oke of ISS sees St. Louis taking him at #9 overall, there's gotta be more to him than Tavares' linemate.

Dany Roussin?

Senator Stanley

Dec 11, 2003
Visit site
my dad is a scout for the sens and the first choice if availabe is brett maclean

I'm not sure what to take from this comment. Obviously Maclean wouldn't be the #1 guy on the Sens big board, so why would a scout say Maclean. There first choice would be the top guy on their big board that is available.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
Is this legit?

im sure he's speaking out of his ass

there is talk about couture slipping significantly, but i dont see him going that far. Earlier this year, it looked like eller was a possibility, but after wjc he has shot up. Akim aliu could be a sleeper that i see ottawa taking, though i dont see them passing on any of the 'bloodline' picks (they took eaves and foligno...)

Alter Haudegen

Dec 7, 2004
Don't let the name Sutter fool you.
He has the heart of a Sutter but limited physicality if any.at all.
He has two-way instincts which is great and all, but his offensive capabilities and potential are nothing more than that of a 3rd liner or a 2nd liner on a weak team, and has below average strength and doesn't use his frame effectively whatsoever.
So basically he's a good 2nd liner on a crappy NHL team, if you've got a strong team, he's out of place on your 3rd or 4th lines and belongs centering your 1rst line in the minors. At a 1rst round pick, I'll pass on him and at least take a risk at a guy that might turn out to be amazing and actually play the right role for a winning team.

Fascinating how much you know about Sutter, given your location. :shakehead
Out of interest, but how often have you actually seen him play (and I mean live).

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
McKeens says Thomas Hickey at 29. Don't know much about him.

5/11 and 186 seems light for a Dman

hoppy

EK65
Jun 11, 2006
St. John's
Fascinating how much you know about Sutter, given your location. :shakehead
Out of interest, but how often have you actually seen him play (and I mean live).

Shake your head all you want..
You think you've caught on to me and offend me because I don't live near he plays, assuming that I don't know anything about the guy.
I never claimed I was an expert on him or anything, he's just a player I wouldn't want to draft considering his offensive potential.

I've watched scouting videos on him, a couple Rebels games and highlights on top of countless scouting reports and rankings.
I base all my judgment on the above, does it matter if I don't see him live?
Scouts of team only see players of certain areas or leagues and base all of their scouts judgments on their picks so don't go assuming I know nothing about the guy because I don't see him in person.
The tapes show enough for me to not like the idea of entertaining the guy as a 1rst rounder.
What the hell is wrong with that?
It's my damn opinion / prediction on his career potential and how it wouldn't fit.
His offensive potential is limited generously to that of a weak 2nd liner and rarely shows any physicality for him to be effective on the 3rd or 4th lines.
Which is why I'd much rather go for a guy who could fill a high end roll and don't mind taking the high risk pick considering we're at 29th.

If you're gonna criticize what I have to say about him based on where I live, you're reasoning is shallow and weak.
If you don't agree with me, I'd love for you to form an opinion on him yourself.
What I have to say about him is essentially the same stuff as any scouting report so I don't know what your point is
:teach:

Alter Haudegen

Dec 7, 2004
Shake your head all you want..
You think you've caught on to me and offend me because I don't live near he plays, assuming that I don't know anything about the guy.
I never claimed I was an expert on him or anything, he's just a player I wouldn't want to draft considering his offensive potential.

I've watched scouting videos on him, a couple Rebels games and highlights on top of countless scouting reports and rankings.
I base all my judgment on the above, does it matter if I don't see him live?
Scouts of team only see players of certain areas or leagues and base all of their scouts judgments on their picks so don't go assuming I know nothing about the guy because I don't see him in person.
The tapes show enough for me to not like the idea of entertaining the guy as a 1rst rounder.
What the hell is wrong with that?
It's my damn opinion / prediction on his career potential and how it wouldn't fit.
His offensive potential is limited generously to that of a weak 2nd liner and rarely shows any physicality for him to be effective on the 3rd or 4th lines.
Which is why I'd much rather go for a guy who could fill a high end roll and don't mind taking the high risk pick considering we're at 29th.

If you're gonna criticize what I have to say about him based on where I live, you're reasoning is shallow and weak.
If you don't agree with me, I'd love for you to form an opinion on him yourself.
What I have to say about him is essentially the same stuff as any scouting report so I don't know what your point is
:teach:

Show me a single serious scouting service that says that Sutter has (to quote you) "limited physicality if any at all". He is lacking strength right now and has to bulk up but he plays a good physical game (for a guy who is only 170 lbs) and is quite good at the boards. Also show me a single scouting service that will agree with your point that he would be out of place on the "4th line and belongs centering your 1st line in the minors".

discostu

Nov 12, 2002
Nomadville
Visit site
With the 29th pick in a supposedly weak draft, I'm hoping the Sens go for broke with the pick, and go with the player with the strongest upside, offensive upside to be more particular.

In a mock draft, I recently went with Luca :eek::eek::eek::eek:i in teh 29th slot. I don't know much about him, other than he's a guy that people seem mixed on. Some worry that his defensive presence, his size and his attitude are worrisome points. There is also the risk that he may not come to North America right away, but, given that it sounds like he doesn't like playing under the Swiss system, which is more defensive minded, that, I think he'd welcome a move to North America.

But, with the supposed offensive skills he's shown, if he does make it, it would be that top line skill player that Ottawa's lacked.

hoppy

EK65
Jun 11, 2006
St. John's
Show me a single serious scouting service that says that Sutter has (to quote you) "limited physicality if any at all". He is lacking strength right now and has to bulk up but he plays a good physical game (for a guy who is only 170 lbs) and is quite good at the boards. Also show me a single scouting service that will agree with your point that he would be out of place on the "4th line and belongs centering your 1st line in the minors".

How about this-
I'm the only one doing any talking so you find me a scouting report that says otherwise.
I've already stated he's a good 2-way forward but doesn't use his frame enough and isn't a good enough checker to be an effective 3rd liner.
Stop ridiculing my points and start making some of your own.
Christ.

I'd really appreciate it if you quoted me for at least an entire sentence.
Is that too much to ask?
no more "4th line and belongs centering you 1rst line in the minors"
As that doesn't make sense and nothing near what I said when you take the entire context of the sentence.

Of course, you're just a pessimist whose trying to find ways to correct people by bending and putting a spin on what they write.
Very good.
:handclap:

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
Msot guys have been looked over again and again, Im guessing John Mucler will be smart enough to draft someone, like Dana Tyrell or Mayorov, Noone will pick mayorov high becuase its a veryslim chance he ever comes to N.A., If he was a north american he'd be in the top 5 though

Roy G Biv*

Tyrell is the kind of guy we don't need, and there's no way we're blowing early picks on Russians.

The Sens will be comfortable to grab a Russian in a later round, as they did with Zubov.

Like others have said, the organization needs skilled forwards, who will actually play in the NHL.

Alter Haudegen

Dec 7, 2004
How about this-
I'm the only one doing any talking so you find me a scouting report that says otherwise.
I've already stated he's a good 2-way forward but doesn't use his frame enough and isn't a good enough checker to be an effective 3rd liner.
Stop ridiculing my points and start making some of your own.
Christ.

I'd really appreciate it if you quoted me for at least an entire sentence.
Is that too much to ask?
no more "4th line and belongs centering you 1rst line in the minors"
As that doesn't make sense and nothing near what I said when you take the entire context of the sentence.

Of course, you're just a pessimist whose trying to find ways to correct people by bending and putting a spin on what they write.
Very good.
:handclap:

The whole sentence is that you think that he doesn't belong on the 3rd or 4th line of a good NHL team. Frankly I think that's nonsense. I've seen Sutter play quite often over the last two years and while I expected more from him this season (he looked very tired in the second half of the season - he was over a point per game in the first half) he has the potential to become a good 2nd line center on a good NHL team. He is sneaky in the offensive end (very similar to former Rebel Colby Armstrong) and has very good hockey senses. If he can add 20-30 pound I think he will have a better NHL career than some people here might think.

hoppy

EK65
Jun 11, 2006
St. John's
The whole sentence is that you think that he doesn't belong on the 3rd or 4th line of a good NHL team.

No, I don't think he'd be effective as a 3rd liner due to his lack of getting involved physically.

I'm sure he could kill penalties at the NHL level, and yes play on a 3rd line, but all I'm saying is he isn't overly physical and that seems to have offended you.
He doesn't have the offensive instincts or raw tools to be a 2nd line center on the average NHL team so he's pushed to the 3rd line where he's less effective.

I don't hate the guy or anything, there's just absolutely no point for the Sens to draft a guy of this mold.
Sure, if you're looking for a 2-way player who might play with more physical players to compensate then he might work, but that's nothing that interests me in the first round of a weak high end but still rather deep draft.

I don't see how that isn't a fair assessment!

Tyrell is the kind of guy we don't need, and there's no way we're blowing early picks on Russians.

The Sens will be comfortable to grab a Russian in a later round, as they did with Zubov.

Like others have said, the organization needs skilled forwards, who will actually play in the NHL.

There's no doubt that Tyrell isn't the kind that we need but on the note of Russians, in a draft at 29th pick, we have to go for homer-run swing and take someone with raw offensive skills or with Russian transfer risks of a guy like Zubov or at least someone who has high-end offensive potential.
If that means taking the Russian route, I'm a little skeptical but there might not be much other choice.

Should be a fun draft!
Since there's about 30 players who could fit in between 10-20, a nice speed demon people have going around 15 could very well drop to our feet and hopefully they go for the agile, quick best offensive dynamo that's available.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad