Who Should Sens Take at #29?

Roy G Biv*

The Sens need some skilled forwards, but really we need to follow the BPA strategy.

If Moller, Eller, Backlund, or Perron are available, I take one.

FireMelnyk

Jun 3, 2006
I forgot they made that rule change this year. Makes finishing 2nd all that much worse.

Pothier

Aug 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Yes. Much worse.

I think the Sens will grab whoever "slips".

That's what I think they'll do as well. Take the sexy pick, sexily.

I like what I've heard about Sweatt. I don't think he'll fall that low, but I can always hope and trust the scouting staff.

Pothier

Aug 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Even if he is, I sure hope the Sens don't draft him.

Same here, we have enough of these crash-and-bang forwards in Foligno and Bass, and we already have Fisher, Neil, Eaves playing for the team.

We need more skilled forwards in the system, Daugavins is looking promising but we need more. I'd love Repik at 29.

Roy G Biv*

Same here, we have enough of these crash-and-bang forwards in Foligno and Bass, and we already have Fisher, Neil, Eaves playing for the team.

We need more skilled forwards in the system, Daugavins is looking promising but we need more. I'd love Repik at 29.

Yup. The Sens need prospects with skill.

The Fuhr*

Alexander Vasiliev would be a sick pick but he is Russian so he might fall on draft day to the third round.

Apr 4, 2003
Embrun, ON
I think the Sens will likely try hard to trade up in this draft. The team needs to replenish its pool of prospects...

That being said, should the Sens remain in the #29 slot, from what I've seen and heard, I would hope the Sens would focus on the following players:

Backlund, Eller, or Sweatt would be good choices IMO. I think that all 3 might be long gone by #29, unfortunately. Logan MacMillan might fit the bill at #29.

hoppy

EK65
Jun 11, 2006
St. John's

Don't let the name Sutter fool you.
He has the heart of a Sutter but limited physicality if any.at all.
He has two-way instincts which is great and all, but his offensive capabilities and potential are nothing more than that of a 3rd liner or a 2nd liner on a weak team, and has below average strength and doesn't use his frame effectively whatsoever.
So basically he's a good 2nd liner on a crappy NHL team, if you've got a strong team, he's out of place on your 3rd or 4th lines and belongs centering your 1rst line in the minors. At a 1rst round pick, I'll pass on him and at least take a risk at a guy that might turn out to be amazing and actually play the right role for a winning team.

I'll stick to the BPA method, but tweak it a little.
I'll go BPPA the extra P for potential.
I don't care if he's raw, I want a forward who has the best potential remaining to be a success.
Skills on the puck please as a dominant speed trait at a guy who's boom or bust that could turn out to be a better player in the draft.

As great of a pick Foligno was (he's looking even better now) taking a guy who's potential of 3rd line won't work for the Sens.
In the past (Almost 5 years since the last time now) they've proven to take raw players off the board and turned them into gems..
Hopefully they start taking that route again because they've gone way too far to the physical end of the spectrum and will have a backload on the bottom 2 lines for the next half a decade.

- Patrick White
- Max Pacioretty
- Luca :eek::eek::eek::eek:i
- Oscar Möller
- Sergei Korostin
- Riley Nash
- Logan MacMillan
- Maxim Mayorov
- David Perron

Are on my list of "I'm fine with this guy at 29th"
I'd rather avoid a defenseman now but if he's got a boatload of potential, sign him up and give him a shot.

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
That's what I think they'll do as well. Take the sexy pick, sexily.
I like what I've heard about Sweatt. I don't think he'll fall that low, but I can always hope and trust the scouting staff.

so they will pick sexsmith?? ha......ha.....haaaaaaa......

sorry bad joke.:help:

sensens

Jun 11, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Having had the luxury of watching a fair bit of Repik, I'm still not entirely sure about taking him in the late 1st - though he elevated his game in the Memorial Cup run more than I expected. I'm not convinced he has more than potential 2nd line ability in him, though, and likely is more of a sidecar/compliment player (I keep thinking Jan Bulis). That said, I very much doubt he'll be around in the late 2nd, but I think there might be a more suitable pick out there for the Senators to ponder with a late 1st... especially if someone happens to snake down through the ranks, as so often happens when they have later picks.

Yes, another Meszaros or Havlat please. :eek::eek::eek::eek:i would be worth it just to have that on a jersey.

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
I think the Sens will likely try hard to trade up in this draft. The team needs to replenish its pool of prospects...

That being said, should the Sens remain in the #29 slot, from what I've seen and heard, I would hope the Sens would focus on the following players:

Backlund, Eller, or Sweatt would be good choices IMO. I think that all 3 might be long gone by #29, unfortunately. Logan MacMillan might fit the bill at #29.
I could see the Flames and Sens swapping picks this draft, with the Flames picking up more picks from the deal of course.

HABSMANIA21*

my dad is a scout for the sens and the first choice if availabe is brett maclean

May 23, 2007
Calgary
I could see the Flames and Sens swapping picks this draft, with the Flames picking up more picks from the deal of course.

I'd love that, but I don't think Ottawa will be the right trading partner to swap picks.
Im hoping Toronto.

To Toronto:
Calgary's 1st round pick (18th overall)

To Calgary:
Toronto's 2nd, 3rd and 5th round pick
Phoenix' 4th round pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad