Who should have won the cup? (any given year)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
In your opinion, which team was the best, go back as far as you want. Toss-ups and honerable mentions acceptable.

(btw, Eastern Conference bias since I don't watch that much Western Conference)

1999 - Stars, HM Avalanche
2000 - Devils
2001 - Devils (Homer pick) HMs, Avalanche, Flyers
2002 - Red Wings, HM Avalanche
2003 - Senators
2004 - Flyers HM, Tampa Bay

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Who "should have" won the cup??? Its not like its the Super Bowl, one game on one day.....You have to win 24 games and after a long rigorous playoff season, there is no "should have's" in my opinion.

Kenadyan

Jul 23, 2003
Asheboro, NC
Visit site
1986 Edmonton Oilers.

That was the year that Steve Smith put the puck into his own net on a clearing attempt in what turned out to be the winning goal for Calgary (3-2) in game 7 of the conference semi-finals.

St. Louis (who lost to Calgary in the conference finals) and Montreal (who beat Calgary in the SC Finals that year) would have been no match for the Gretzky and Messier led high powered Oilers.

That was one of Edmonton's highest scoring teams ever (400+ goals that year). Unfortunately, familiarity breeds comtempt, and the Flames played with just enough to beat the Oilers in the above mentioned 7 game series (which was like the 15th game the teams had played against each other that season, including the regualr season).

interminded

Aug 10, 2005
Netherlands
JimEIV said:
Who "should have" won the cup??? Its not like its the Super Bowl, one game on one day.....You have to win 24 games and after a long rigorous playoff season, there is no "should have's" in my opinion.

I agree.
It's nice to have fantasy's and " what if's" , but when you play 82 regular games and 24 playoff-games, the team that lifts the Stanley Cup at the end, deserved to win !!
There is no such thing as a lucky Stanley Cup winner.
A single game can have a controversial goal, history has proven that, but that's why it's best of seven and not best of one.

Maybe your question should have been:

Why didn't they win and in what year didn't they win ?

:)

Last edited:

EliCash

Aug 2, 2005
Boston
The Bruins would have won the Cup in '91 if not for the Ulf Samuelsson cheap shot in Game 6 of the ECF.

Ogopogo*

Blackjack said:
In your opinion, which team was the best, go back as far as you want. Toss-ups and honerable mentions acceptable.

(btw, Eastern Conference bias since I don't watch that much Western Conference)

1999 - Stars, HM Avalanche
2000 - Devils
2001 - Devils (Homer pick) HMs, Avalanche, Flyers
2002 - Red Wings, HM Avalanche
2003 - Senators
2004 - Flyers HM, Tampa Bay

The teams that did.

slapsht25

Aug 3, 2005
1980 Flyers vs Islanders on the Nystrom goal Gillies was 3 feet offsides and still is 25 yrs later. If the islanders don't win there I doubt the do in 81 and 83 they loose to Edmonton also os that "dynasty" could/ should be a 1 hit wonder

Pens1566

Aug 2, 2005
WV
LuxAeterna said:
The Bruins would have won the Cup in '91 if not for the Ulf Samuelsson cheap shot in Game 6 of the ECF.

Weren't the B's already behind in the game and down 3-2 in the series? If I recall correctly, they took a 2-0 lead in the series and got swept the next four.

Last edited:

Pens75

Pens Fan Since 1975
Jul 30, 2005
Duquesne Gardens
If the Pens won that game 7 against the Islanders, I think they would have won the 3rd cup.

I think they were 57 and 17 that year, or something like that. Basicly unstoppable.

They outplayed the Islanders every game in every way, but the Islanders just wouldn't die.

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Kenadyan said:
1986 Edmonton Oilers.

That was the year that Steve Smith put the puck into his own net on a clearing attempt in what turned out to be the winning goal for Calgary (3-2) in game 7 of the conference semi-finals.

St. Louis (who lost to Calgary in the conference finals) and Montreal (who beat Calgary in the SC Finals that year) would have been no match for the Gretzky and Messier led high powered Oilers.

That was one of Edmonton's highest scoring teams ever (400+ goals that year). Unfortunately, familiarity breeds comtempt, and the Flames played with just enough to beat the Oilers in the above mentioned 7 game series (which was like the 15th game the teams had played against each other that season, including the regualr season).
on the flipside the Flames 'should' have won in 1988...alot of firepower (I think the highest scoring non Gretzky, non Orr team ever)that year...but the wily experienced Oilers handed them their lunch in the 2nd round...final lesson learned for 89

blamebettman*

Quebec in 1995, you figure they would've learned from the 1993 heartbreak to the Habs...it took them another year to learn the lesson and they finally won the cup in 1996. But I always though the 1995 Nords were cup ready and the goaltending would hold up, they really should've traded for Moog at the deadline that year,

Injektilo

Feb 3, 2005
Taiwan
JimEIV said:

Just to play devil's advocate....
I think luck can play a pretty big role, as the cliche goes, anything can happen in a game 7.

really, you don't need any more proof than Steve Smith and the 1985-86 Oilers.

I don't think there's ever been a team that's won and not been worthy (though didn't a bruins team in the 30's have like a .350 winning % and go on to take the cup?) but it's also easy to argue that for every team that wins, there are three or four more teams that could have just as easily one except for an unlucky bounce or brain cramp (coughtoddbertuzzicough) at the wrong time.

Rather Gingerly 1*

blamebettman said:
Quebec in 1995, you figure they would've learned from the 1993 heartbreak to the Habs...it took them another year to learn the lesson and they finally won the cup in 1996. But I always though the 1995 Nords were cup ready and the goaltending would hold up, they really should've traded for Moog at the deadline that year,

Colorado would never have gotten Roy if they were still in Quebec though. He was a big factor in their cup wins

Lowetide

Feb 27, 2002
The one I remember is 1971. Bruins had a tremendous team and won in 1970 and 1972. Dryden was amazing, but they still should have won that thing. Dammit.

blamebettman*

also, if only the Pens could've finished off the Isles in 1982 (remember 3-1 with 3 minutes left) then the Nords would've cruised to a Cup that year. As it happened, the Isles rallied back and beat the Pens in OT, and beat the Nords in the ECF.

Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
I feel that the "Yellow Pinnies" should have won this year's Bobby Hull Invitational, as my wrister was clearly over the line. Ah, well, when the "all time number one scorer and MVP" is on the other team, the odds are pretty much against you...

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
JimEIV said:

Thank you. :handclap:

The question suggests that some teams that won the Cup didn't deserve to. Utterly ridiculous. :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->