Who should have been added to CANADA's ROSTER(and wasnt)???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evgeny Oliker

Mar 12, 2003
Visit site
i see a lot of you bickering about how some of the players were left out of canada's WC roster. so lets discuss this. who was left out:
Curtis Joseph - u dont need him with brodeur, luongo and belfour in
Al MacInnis - injury problems so NO
Paul Kariya - way too small if they want to play physical
Eric Lindros - concussions, so no
Joe Nieuwendyk- great player, but is getting old and they have enough good centers(sakic, yzerman, thornton, richards)
Michael Peca - not the same player after so many injuries
Brendan Shanahan - old and had an awful season
Owen Nolan - uncertain with injuries
Jose Theodore - again, they are fine in goal
Todd Bertuzzi - right decision, too much controversy
Alex Tanguay - great player, but again there is size issue and he complements players, he's not a leader or anything
Keith Primeau - ****here is one guy they SHOULD HAVE GOT!!!
Vincent Lecavalier - very inconsistent

SopelFan*

2forsbergaura1 said:
i see a lot of you bickering about how some of the players were left out of canada's WC roster. so lets discuss this. who was left out:
Curtis Joseph - u dont need him with brodeur, luongo and belfour in
Al MacInnis - injury problems so NO
Paul Kariya - way too small if they want to play physical
Eric Lindros - concussions, so no
Joe Nieuwendyk- great player, but is getting old and they have enough good centers(sakic, yzerman, thornton, richards)
Michael Peca - not the same player after so many injuries
Brendan Shanahan - old and had an awful season
Owen Nolan - uncertain with injuries
Jose Theodore - again, they are fine in goal
Todd Bertuzzi - right decision, too much controversy
Alex Tanguay - great player, but again there is size issue and he complements players, he's not a leader or anything
Keith Primeau - ****here is one guy they SHOULD HAVE GOT!!!
Vincent Lecavalier - very inconsistent
So... even with all those poor qualities, they are better than Gagne and Maltby.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Rick Nash. He's big, can skate and co-led the NHL in goals at age 19. I figured he was a shoo-in.

Burnaby_Joe*

Primeau or Madden. I thought Kariya should have made the team, but oh well.

leafaholix*

I'm thinking Draper was a lock... and they were looking for a winger that could play a defensive game on the same line and they chose Maltby.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Rick Nash and Jay Bouwmeester should have been locks.

Especially with the selections of guys like Kirk Maltby and Regehr.

Even if they did not play in the tournament itself, being there and part of the team would have been phenomenal experience for two guys who are a huge part of the future of Canadian hockey.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Just a couple points to make here:

Gagne-played at the Olympics so he has that experience and has played with some of the guys on the team this year. Played very well at the Olympics and likely gained a spot because of that.

Draper/Maltby-I think these two were no brainers. They are the most dynamic penalty killing tandem in the NHL and along with Doan or Yzerman would make a heck of a checking line. If you are taking Draper, you have to take Maltby. They are just too good together. Yes, there are more talented players out there but these two are the best at what they do.

Regehr-why shouldn't he be there? He is as much a future of Canadian hockey as Bouwmeester is. With his level of play right now, he definitely deserves the nod. Looks to me like they are grooming the replacement for Foote in a few years.

Nash-I think he's too young still. In comparison to top line players already on the team (Lemieux, Iginla, Heatley, Thornton, etc.), I think Nash is a step back. I don't see the point in having him play a limited role. I do agree that the exposure for the young guys would have been a smart move but I have no complaints about Nash being left off.

Overall, I have very few complaints about the team they named. Of course cases could be made for other players but I think overall, this was a good team and will be the winning team.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Someone explain to me why Bouwmeester should have made it. :dunno:

Nash should have.
Primeau too.
Tanguay over Gagne.
I also would have put Bertuzzi on the team.

Liquidrage*

Zednik20 said:
Someone explain to me why Bouwmeester should have made it. :dunno:

I really can't explain it either. As I said elsewhere, he wasn't as good as Van Ryan on his own team this year. And Van Ryan is no where in the discussion of playing for Canada.

Though, to be fair, the US Olympic basketball team has often taken a college kid or two based upon their play in college and not in the NBA. Bouwmeester could be taken on the same thought, based on his play in juniors and international competition.
But he's been in the NHL two years now so I really don't see that as a real valid reason for talking him. He'll have his chance next time. He just needs a few year. Right now he's still all potential.

Street Hawk

Feb 18, 2003
Visit site
Spares...

Kritty said:

Gagne-played at the Olympics so he has that experience and has played with some of the guys on the team this year. Played very well at the Olympics and likely gained a spot because of that.

Draper/Maltby-I think these two were no brainers. They are the most dynamic penalty killing tandem in the NHL and along with Doan or Yzerman would make a heck of a checking line. If you are taking Draper, you have to take Maltby. They are just too good together. Yes, there are more talented players out there but these two are the best at what they do.

Regehr-why shouldn't he be there? He is as much a future of Canadian hockey as Bouwmeester is. With his level of play right now, he definitely deserves the nod. Looks to me like they are grooming the replacement for Foote in a few years.

Nash-I think he's too young still. In comparison to top line players already on the team (Lemieux, Iginla, Heatley, Thornton, etc.), I think Nash is a step back. I don't see the point in having him play a limited role. I do agree that the exposure for the young guys would have been a smart move but I have no complaints about Nash being left off.

Overall, I have very few complaints about the team they named. Of course cases could be made for other players but I think overall, this was a good team and will be the winning team.

IMO, I think that if we knew who the spares are slated to be, it would be a lot easier to evaluate the selections, especially up front.

Goalie - Luongo is the odd man out. Just comes down to experience. Marty and Eddie are 1 and 2 among active goalies in playoff wins, while Luongo has zero playoff games.

Defence - Regehr is definately one of the 2 that will be a spare. He's a likely replacement should Foote or Pronger go down. Plays a physical, yet controlled game.

Brewer/Redden will likely be the other dman to sit. Both are two way guys, but I think Redden is more responsible in his own zone. Either guy would sub in if one of the more skilled Dmen, like Niedermayer or Blake or Jovo go down.

Forwards, well IMO I think that Richards sits for sure. He's a good fit on the #2 line, but I don't see a spot for him. Morrow might sit as well, seeing as he's a grit guy and would take over for one of the Wings should they go down. Final spare forward, well, comes down to Marleau IMO. Just think Canada would go with Yzerman and Smyth for their experience and grit.

So, if the roster is:

Brodeur/Belfour

spare: Luongo

Foote/Blake
Pronger/Niedermayer
Jovanovski/Redden

spare: Brewer and Regehr

Gagne/Sakic/Iginla
Heatley/Lemieux/St. Louis
Maltby/Draper/Yzerman
Smyth/Thornton/Doan

spares: Marleau, Morrow, and Richards

Marleau and Richards will come in for a scorer, while Morrow would come in for a grinder, ie one of the Wings.

Honestly, would prefer that one or Richards or Marleau was replaced with a forward with size, like a Primeau, Murray, Nash. Never know who would go down.

MikeC44

Sep 18, 2003
Moncton, NB
Visit site
I think if Adrian Aucoin played anywhere of than Long Island, he would be on the team. Albeit from different countries, the other top 4 d-men from the Isles will no doubt be in the World Cup, and Aucoin plays more minutes, and scores more points than they do.

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Why is everyone so down on the selection of Simon Gagne. The guy did score 24 goals on a checking line playing with Primeau/Handzus and Brashear the entire year. The minute they put him with a playmaking center (Zhamnov), he scored at a 50 goal clip over a 20 game span. The guy is one of the best two-way forwards in the league who never makes defensive mistakes. He also adds speed to the team as he is one of the best skaters in the league. Not to mention that he played on the #1 line in the olympics.

Who should be on the team? Keith Primeau and I think Gretz and company will find some way to get him there, i'm just not sure why he isn't going already.

The guys i'd question making this team are Maltby and Yzerman.

Brownies

Street Hawk said:
IMO, I think that if we knew who the spares are slated to be, it would be a lot easier to evaluate the selections, especially up front.

Goalie - Luongo is the odd man out. Just comes down to experience. Marty and Eddie are 1 and 2 among active goalies in playoff wins, while Luongo has zero playoff games.

Defence - Regehr is definately one of the 2 that will be a spare. He's a likely replacement should Foote or Pronger go down. Plays a physical, yet controlled game.

Brewer/Redden will likely be the other dman to sit. Both are two way guys, but I think Redden is more responsible in his own zone. Either guy would sub in if one of the more skilled Dmen, like Niedermayer or Blake or Jovo go down.

Forwards, well IMO I think that Richards sits for sure. He's a good fit on the #2 line, but I don't see a spot for him. Morrow might sit as well, seeing as he's a grit guy and would take over for one of the Wings should they go down. Final spare forward, well, comes down to Marleau IMO. Just think Canada would go with Yzerman and Smyth for their experience and grit.

So, if the roster is:

Brodeur/Belfour

spare: Luongo

Foote/Blake
Pronger/Niedermayer
Jovanovski/Redden

spare: Brewer and Regehr

Gagne/Sakic/Iginla
Heatley/Lemieux/St. Louis
Maltby/Draper/Yzerman
Smyth/Thornton/Doan

spares: Marleau, Morrow, and Richards

Marleau and Richards will come in for a scorer, while Morrow would come in for a grinder, ie one of the Wings.

Honestly, would prefer that one or Richards or Marleau was replaced with a forward with size, like a Primeau, Murray, Nash. Never know who would go down.

Richards should be on the first line instead of Gagné. I'd take Marleau over Smyth on a bigger ice.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Kritty said:

Regerh should not be on this team because he is NOT as much of a part of the future as Canadian hockey as Jay Bouwmeester. Regehr will not play at a comparative level to Bouwmeester in the longer term, especially when you factor in their worth in international play. The smooth skating, speedy, strong puck-handling Bouwmeester is a natural fit.

Regehr is certainly a good defenceman, no doubts. He is, however, being pumped up a great deal based on a playoff run, as often happens with defensive defenceman in the players (see Willie Mitchell last year).

I like Regehr, but in my opinion he is not among the top 8 Canadian defenceman.

Gags1288

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
brownies said:
Richards should be on the first line instead of Gagné. I'd take Marleau over Smyth on a bigger ice.
First of all, it's an NHL sized ice so your Marleau over Smyth point is mute. Secondly, not only does Simon Gagne have chemistry with Iginla and Sakic (see 2002 Olympics) but he is also a more complete player and a better two-way player than Richards. Gagne's also a natural left wing (well not natural, but he plays there in the NHL). Gagne's two-way play will allow Iginla and Sakic to be more offensively minded because Simon is one of the best defensive forwards in the NHL.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I can't believe some of the stuff I'm reading on here.

Questioning Yzerman being named? You can't be serious. He was the 2nd best player to Sakic at the Olympics and is still in top form. The only question mark is his health, that's it. If healthy he has to be there. He just brings too much to the table.

I don't buy that Bouwmeester is a greater part of the Canadian future than Regehr. Foote has been one of the most important Canadian dmen for years now, and that's where Regehr will fit in in a few years. The only reason he isn't mentioned there already is because he plays in Calgary where no one has seen him until now and because he was never as hyped as Bouwmeester. And you're argument about him only coming to prominance because of his playoffs is wrong. He is not another Willie Mitchell. Regehr has been playing like this for 2 seasons now and isn't seen enough for anyone to notice. He definitely got his due this year. He is definitely one of the future cornerstones of the Canadian defence, just as much as Bouwmeester. So I guess Gretzky, Lowe and company don't know what they're talking about then since they named Regehr as one of the top 8 Canadian defenceman and not Bouwmeester. Hmm, interesting.

Ricci over Maltby, Morrow and Draper? Wow, need to get things straight there. Draper is arguably the best defensive player in the game right now and can score. Teamed with Maltby they are unreal on the PK and as a line. Morrow is vastly underrated. He is a better player than Ricci is. Ricci isn't in the same category as those 3. I wouldn't have even considered him for the team. He's on the downside of his career.

As for Bertuzzi, I think they made the right decision. They didn't want to step on the NHL or NHLPA toes in the process of naming the team. Without the suspension he would be on the team, unfortunately that isn't the case. Smart move by the braintrust.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I was actually surprised Nieuwendyk was left off the list. He was playing great hockey even injured in the playoffs for Toronto and look at his performance in 2002...

DaveyCrockett

Dec 8, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
McCabe should have beem on the team. Two out of his last three seasons have been better than most of the defensemen who made the team. Even his one bad year was equivalent to a typical Eric Brewer year.

Phanuthier*

Mountie said:
Regerh should not be on this team because he is NOT as much of a part of the future as Canadian hockey as Jay Bouwmeester. Regehr will not play at a comparative level to Bouwmeester in the longer term, especially when you factor in their worth in international play. The smooth skating, speedy, strong puck-handling Bouwmeester is a natural fit.

Regehr is certainly a good defenceman, no doubts. He is, however, being pumped up a great deal based on a playoff run, as often happens with defensive defenceman in the players (see Willie Mitchell last year).

I like Regehr, but in my opinion he is not among the top 8 Canadian defenceman.
This team was picked to be the strongest team NOW and not later on. Screw the experiance and whatnot, what happens if one of your roster guys goes down and the guy that was supposed to be just "getting some experiance" comes in and drops the ball? Thats why Bouwmeester and Nash arn't there.

Right now, Regehr a top 8 defenseman from Canada.

In fact, I will argue that when the World Cup starts, Regehr will be a top 6 defenseman on the team. I will go out on a limb and say that he will outplay Brewer and Jovo.

sonnytheman

Apr 9, 2002
Ithaca, Mtl
Visit site
only guy I can think of is Rick Nash. Yes, he's extremely young, but how young was Kovalchuk when he played for Russia in the Olympics? He's excellent around the net, and that could be extremely important, especially if Canada happens to be in need of a goal. Still, I think Heatley-Iginla-St Louis-Marleau can provide good offensive production, I just feel that Nash would put that offense over the top, as well as develop for the future.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Splatman Phanutier said:
This team was picked to be the strongest team NOW and not later on. Screw the experiance and whatnot, what happens if one of your roster guys goes down and the guy that was supposed to be just "getting some experiance" comes in and drops the ball? Thats why Bouwmeester and Nash arn't there.

Right now, Regehr a top 8 defenseman from Canada.

In fact, I will argue that when the World Cup starts, Regehr will be a top 6 defenseman on the team. I will go out on a limb and say that he will outplay Brewer and Jovo.

Right now, Rick Nash is one of the 3 best goal scorers in the NHL.

Regehr is not a top 8 defenceman in my opinion, I'm sorry. To be fair, this is not really a debate that either person will convince the other. I fully acknowledge Regehr is a very good defenceman, but I don't think he is a great defenceman. But it really doesn't matter. As long as Regehr doesn't see the ice, which he most likely won't other than maybe some fringe games in the round robin, it doesn't matter.

I agree Regehr is finally getting some notice, and that is good, but because its playoff time, he's a benefactor of the same hype machine that Mitchell was last year. Both good, previously under-rated defenceman, who are now, well, like I said, hype machine.

Just my take on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad