Who should Coach Team Canada (World Cup)

Status
Not open for further replies.

think-blue-

Sep 28, 2002
Visit site
With the impending announcement of Wayne Gretzky and Kevin Lowe (and probably Tambellini as well) as the management team of Team Canada at the world cup, they're still going to have to decide who coaches the team. Sportsnet suggested that Martins, Hitchcock, Quinn, Murray, Crawford and Hartley have made the 'shortlist'

So, who would you let coach the team? Who would be your coach's assistants? I believe you can pick 3 assistants (Hitch/Martins/Fleming were assts at the olympics).

Bytown

Mar 8, 2003
Its all but offical martins and hartley will be two coaches for canada.The only question is who will be the head.Crawford and hitchcock are in the running for a spot as well.Quinn will not be part of this team.

Bud The Spud*

jaydog2008 said:
Its all but offical martins and hartley will be two coaches for canada.The only question is who will be the head.Crawford and hitchcock are in the running for a spot as well.Quinn will not be part of this team.

I think Hartley would be a good head coach. Crawford is a close second.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
nash61 said:
Martin and Crawford and Hartley.

My thoughts exactly. Martin gets my vote ahead of Crow and Hartley, because both Crow and Hartley have a history of making some rather odd decisions on their bench and being a bit too emotional for the players' likins. Martin is cool and level-headed from what I see, and I'd like to see him behind the bench.

~Canucklehead~

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
ThinkBlue said:
Sportsnet suggested that Martins, Hitchcock, Quinn, Murray, Crawford and Hartley have made the 'shortlist'

If you had to pick the coach today, and not before the Stanley Cup playoffs I only see Canada picking one of 2 coaches: Quinn or Hitchcock.

My thinking:

Quinn - sticking with a formula that worked in SLC.
Hitchcock - One of the two or three best coaches in the NHL, and I don't think they will pick the other two (Lemaire or Burns)

Martin - I don't see them picking him, as I think they would value a coach with a Stanley Cup ring more. Good chance to coach the 06 Olympic team if the Sens win the Cup this year or next.

Hartley - He has the Cup win, which is a plus. To my knowledge he hasn't coached with Team Canada as of yet.

Crawford - I like his style, and he's used to coaching teams loaded with talent and plays a more offensive system, which Gretzky likes. Problem is they lost in Nagano with him as coach. If you actually look at the whole tournament that Canada team was far more dominant than the SLC team, but lost to a red-hot Hasek. Quinn's team struggled, was fortunate that Sweden lost. Finally played their best against the Americans.

Murray - No Stanley Cup, but has obviously done some good things at the World Championships.

Cyclops II*

canucklehead17 said:
My thoughts exactly. Martin gets my vote ahead of Crow and Hartley, because both Crow and Hartley have a history of making some rather odd decisions on their bench and being a bit too emotional for the players' likins. Martin is cool and level-headed from what I see, and I'd like to see him behind the bench.

~Canucklehead~

I see the exact opposite in Martin. I like the guy but in the playoffs he seems to be be lost and lack confidence at key moments of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->