Who should become Las Vegas ahl & echl teams

mfrerkes

Nov 16, 2007
What's wrong with the current set-up? The Chicago Wolves are right next to O'Hare Airport, with 14 flights every day to Vegas. Whenever there's a call-up, the Golden Knights can practically pick what hour they'd need a player leave Chicago. Meanwhile, the ECHL affiliate (Quad City) is just two hours down the road in Moline. Moving players between the AHL and ECHL could be done in an afternoon without air travel. In the event ECHL players demanded an airplane ride to Chicago, the Moline airport has a half-dozen flights to O'Hare every day...and it's a whopping 30-minute flight.

It doesn't seem there are any serious logistical hurdles with Vegas' current set-up in the AHL and ECHL.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Maybe Kometsman is unhappy with his team's current affiliation with Phoenix & Tucson. But if you've seen one desert, you've seen 'em all.

Kometsman

Oct 1, 2017
No I was talking about how most nhl teams are putting the ahl affiliate closer like Colorado Eagles moving up to the ahl next season

mfrerkes

Nov 16, 2007
I think long-distance affiliations with an AHL club are only problematic if there is a lack of direct airline service between both clubs. In the case of the Chicago Wolves, they have access to two airports (O'Hare and Midway) with abundant and immediate service to Vegas. Now, if the Golden Knights had Utica or Wilkes-Barre/Scranton as an AHL affiliate, I could see a good reason for changing that set-up.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
No I was talking about how most nhl teams are putting the ahl affiliate closer like Colorado Eagles moving up to the ahl next season
false, how long has Colorado been affiliated with the Avs, Komets, it has no bearing on whether the team is swapping leagues, Manchester didn't (won a championship, then swapped), Norfolk was forced to because they needed a 3rd team, etc....

until last season, Manchester had been owned and operated by LA, the affiliation remains for as long as the Kings want it to.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
Norfolk is available. They just terminated their NHL affiliation with Nashville.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Sounds fishy to me ...
“The affiliation change announced today does not affect the normal daily operations of the team or the Admirals’ organization as a whole, but is a sign of the commitment this organization has to do whatever it takes to ensure the team’s success here in Hampton Roads,” said Chief Revenue Officer Trent Ferguson. “The only thing that drives our business and team decisions is our continued mission to create a shining organization that this area can be proud of.”
ETA: So the San Francisco Bulls were the last ECHL team to fold in mid-season, right? Just wanted to establish that point of reference. :popcorn:

Last edited:

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Sounds fishy to me ...

ETA: So the San Francisco Bulls were the last ECHL team to fold in mid-season, right? Just wanted to establish that point of reference. :popcorn:
no, the ECHL LOST TWO before that mid-season, one was Augusta, GA, the other was Fresno, both in 2008/09

PCSPounder

Stadium Groupie
Apr 12, 2012
The Outskirts of Nutria Nanny
what the deal with reno

That's become an interesting question.

The 10-year deal between the investor group and the city for Reno Events Center includes not just ice installation, but the group taking over management rights. That was signed off 11 months ago. There are no updates to that status that I can find. That would seem to be all the conditions to ice a team.

Why no announcement from the ECHL? Is there an agreement with the league? I'm not seeing anything.

Does that mean Idaho and Utah are in play regarding AHL? Or Reno?

There aren't any updates to when Bill Foley brought up Reno, Salt Lake, and Fresno as possible AHL sites before affiliating with Chicago Wolves.

So there may be an AHL issue that takes care of the "Far West" of the ECHL... or Reno goes AHL... or who knows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad