Who scored the only Canadian goal with 1:03 remaining to go into the famous OT of the 1998 Olympics?

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
The funny thing is, thanks to taping this on VHS I was able to watch it many times afterwards. Even in a torturing loss I still watched it. Canada did not play well that game. They were sluggish the whole game and it was making me nervous. When the Czechs went up 1-0 I can remember Bob Cole saying that "You just get the feeling, I don't know why I say this, that Canada is going to tie the game." I felt it too, keep in mind up until that time all we had was the blowout in 1981 and then the U.S. beating us in 1996. Canada always came through. Once 1998 happened it struck a lot of fear in us. But I do remember the goal. MacInnis unleashed a howitzer of a shot that only he could do, and it was his classic type, hard, low, dangerous, etc. but Hasek was there. Lindros gobbles up the rebound and Linden's shot deflects off a stick and above Hasek. Tie game.

On the ice was Lindros, Shanahan and Linden up front. Here is the thing, and even with the goal I still blame Crawford. For starters there was a minute left and I am not even sure they were pulling the goalie. Secondly, I know he got the goal, but why was Linden out there with a minute left down a goal? He did have a big game reputation, and maybe we hadn't had enough time to see that his game wasn't the same, but it really wasn't even from 1996 to 1998. Just more disorganization from Crawford. And while I might pick Yzerman or Recchi as snipers on the shootout I do agree that you have to take the x-factor with Gretzky. He was slow by then, he was never great at structured play, and that's what a penalty shot was. He was 2/6 on penalty shots in his career. But come on, Bourque and then Shanahan? No. You at least go down fighting with Gretzky and Yzerman in there. Gretzky would have probably done what everyone should have done and that was just shoot it on that bad ice at that time (Fleury did that I guess you could say)

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
And while I might pick Yzerman or Recchi as snipers on the shootout I do agree that you have to take the x-factor with Gretzky. He was slow by then, he was never great at structured play, and that's what a penalty shot was. He was 2/6 on penalty shots in his career. But come on, Bourque and then Shanahan? No. You at least go down fighting with Gretzky and Yzerman in there. Gretzky would have probably done what everyone should have done and that was just shoot it on that bad ice at that time (Fleury did that I guess you could say)

We were laughably unprepared for the shootout.

Preparation, personnel, mental toughness.

Our coaches looked nervous and lost out there. Players didn't seem to know if they were shooting or not.

The one positive thing that the NHL shootout did was reinforce their importance to North Americans to the point where it's now tolerable in international competition for Canada.

Last edited:

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
We were laughably unprepared for the shootout.

Preparation, personnel, mental toughness.

Our coaches looked nervous and lost out there. Players didn't seem to know if they were shooting or not.

The one positive thing that the NHL shootout did was reinforce their importance to North Americans to the point where it's now tolerable in international competition for Canada.
Aside from the roster problems, this was the downfall of the 1998 Olympic team -- Canadian arrogance about hockey. I'm sure the coaches' / exec's' attitude was "We don't do shoot-outs in Canadian hockey. That's not our way!" Then, they lost on shoot-outs.

You could have given a random 4-year-old with a crayon a pencil and he'd come up with a better list of 5 players for the shoot-out than Crawford did.

Reactions: Crosby2010

Gorskyontario

Feb 18, 2024
Aside from the roster problems, this was the downfall of the 1998 Olympic team -- Canadian arrogance about hockey. I'm sure the coaches' / exec's' attitude was "We don't do shoot-outs in Canadian hockey. That's not our way!" Then, they lost on shoot-outs.

You could have given a random 4-year-old with a crayon a pencil and he'd come up with a better list of 5 players for the shoot-out than Crawford did.

Well Fleury was a good choice even if he missed.

Personally I would have chosen MacInnis and instructed him to shoot literally through Hasek. As in literally skate up to hasek and stop maybe 2 meters away from him and blast it at Hasek as hard as he could.

Some people on this thread think Gretzky should have been chosen but he was old and moldy at the time, I doubt he would have scored.

Reactions: Nerowoy nora tolad

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Well Fleury was a good choice even if he missed.

Personally I would have chosen MacInnis and instructed him to shoot literally through Hasek. As in literally skate up to hasek and stop maybe 2 meters away from him and blast it at Hasek as hard as he could.

Some people on this thread think Gretzky should have been chosen but he was old and moldy at the time, I doubt he would have scored.

Hey it couldn't have been worse. Fleury did do it right. Shot up high on Hasek, it bounces off his shoulder and up in the air and a couple inches and it lands behind him but instead it goes over the net. Bourque's shot was just a terrible effort. He could have done so much better. Nieuwendyk might have had the right idea but he got caught up stickhandling too much on the bad ice and never even got a shot off! Lindros skated in like a bull in a china shop and he had Hasek beat. Hasek was backing up when he was coming in and he was almost like a deer in headlights. Then he clanks it off the post. Shanahan makes no sense. He was a power forward, and even to boot they picked him last? I mean, Shanny is your saviour here? Nothing against him, but that's not how he scored goals. Crawford should have known this too considering he coached against Detroit. How do you not pick Yzerman here? Hasek would at least have been on his heels with Stevie Y. Recchi would have been a guy too that I think maybe doesn't stick handle but he had such a nice and accurate shot that I bet he just picks a low spot and tries it that way. After that, I don't disagree with the MacInnis idea. It was worth a shot. But with Sakic and Kariya out the pickings are slimmer as to who may have scored. Primeau? He had a nice shot. No thanks to Corson or Zamuner. Linden and BrindAmour probably don't do any better. That leaves you with Gretzky as the x-factor.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Notice how Linden isn't on their lips?

The long yapped-about legacy of the myopic moments that shows why this thread exists.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad