Who Schedules This Tournament?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MaV

Jun 23, 2002
Is there really that much they can do? I they wanted the final to be on Sunday the 4th the tournament would have to start on 25th of December, and that is not really possible.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Jussi said:
Would you prefer the teams played 3 games in 3 days then?

I would prefer missing the Canada/Ukraine game on a Thursday at the beginning of the tournament rather than being at work on Monday and missing the Gold Medal Game.

The Big P

Dec 9, 2002
Visit site
canucksfan said:
Yeah thats what I thought when I first saw the schedule. Last year the Gold Medal game was on a Sunday.It's far better on a Sunday.

Although it doesn't seem all that logical to play a final on a monday it actually makes perfect sense because every year they start on boxing day and play the tournament in ten days no matter what day of the week boxing day is. Next year the finals will be on tuesday and so on.

Canadian

Mar 1, 2002
Markham, Ontario
Big P is correct. If I remember correctly, the 1999 World Juniors in Winnipeg had both its Semi-finals and Gold Medal game on a weekday. In fact the Semi-finals was shown in the afternoon, but luckily the Gold Medal matchup was held in the evening. If you folks have work on Monday and don't mind watching an encore version, TSN will be showing the game again at 7pm on Monday. If you prefer the game live and can't get near a tv set, well I suggest listening to the radio (FAN 590).

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
slats432 said:
I would prefer missing the Canada/Ukraine game on a Thursday at the beginning of the tournament rather than being at work on Monday and missing the Gold Medal Game.

So they should be setting the tournament around the work schedules of people in other continents?

BCCHL inactive

MePutPuckInNet said:
I believe that would be the same bonehead who's in charge of television coverage in the United States for Team USA games....

Then that "bonehead" has some economic common sense. Televising Team USA games on a major US network would not make money as it does in Canada.

Canada and Finland are the only countries who regularly broadcast this tournament because they are the only two nations who support their U20 teams well enough to make it worth it.

BCCHL inactive

Epsilon said:
So they should be setting the tournament around the work schedules of people in other continents?

Exactly. This tournament is in Finland, so the schedule is made to satisfy Finland....just like how when it is in Canada, the schedule is made to satisfy Canada.

This is part of the reason why Canadians will get up 4 hours earlier than originally planned for the semi final.

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
January 6 is a holiday in Finland (and Sweden), most people have a day off on monday as well (vacation). And the schools don´t start until after the holidays.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Epsilon said:

I think that since it is the "World" Junior Championship, and a lot of the viewership and financial compensation through TV rights might come from "other continents", it would make sense that you try to get the most viewership for the tournament.

Ah...crap...I am sorry. Scheduling it on Monday evening in Finland makes far more sense than starting the tournament a day earlier so the whole "World" can watch it on Sunday.

My bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad