Who is unexpectedly impressing the most?

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I was a huge proponent of the team selecting some guys (Neal, Eakin, Smith, Miller, Theodore) but then there are some guys I've become more impressed by.

Who has IMPRESSED you?

So, don't pimp your favorite player all along, but the guy who done more than you thought or is becoming someone you appreciate a lot.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I have to say I'm impressed by Nate Schmidt. As a Caps fan too, I saw him on the third pairing and thought his ceiling was a 4/5 role. But he didn't get powerplay or shorthanded responsibilities in Washington and now in Vegas he has and I think he's on track to becoming a solid 2/3 role guy.

screen_shot_2017-09-14_at_3.33.10_pm_0.png

This season in Vegas, the 26-year-old undrafted 6'1 Minnesota high school and NCAA star has the makings of a breakout season in the NHL:
  • Schmidt has THE MOST ice time at 21:45 minutes per game, well ahead of Sbisa's 19:41.
  • Schmidt also has THE MOST blocked shots at 16.
  • Schmidt was the team blueline leader in shots but his 12 total has now been matched by Engelland and bested by one by Miller.
  • Schmidt is on pace for a 40+ point season.
  • Schmidt is actually under contract for next season, too, a rare thing on the Knights' blueline!

Reactions: BattleBorn

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com
I can't get over how great Brad Hunt has looked. That signing was such an afterthought on July 1, though some of us did question why he got a 2-year 1-way deal. But he looks solid, and has paired nicely with Miller - the power play looks SO good with those two at the points.

As far as the forwards, I think Leipsic looks great too. He may not have scored a goal yet, but he seems to always be in a good place on the ice and really gives it his all. Nice to see him take advantage of the increased ice time on an expansion team and thrive.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I can't say enough how awesome our scouts have looked so far with this team's performance and the moves that have been made.

All the complaints we've heard about picking up crap players that are now suddenly pretty good? That's 100% on the scouts and GMGM trusting his guys.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Sbisa is the man mostly because his performance has way outpaced what almost everyone thought he would do.

I love Schmidt and Tuch, but I expected them to perform.

Tuch was pretty good for the Wild already the few minutes he got to play. So I'm not surprised either...but what happens once Haula returns? Will they finally waive somebody or just send Tuch down again?

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Tuch was pretty good for the Wild already the few minutes he got to play. So I'm not surprised either...but what happens once Haula returns? Will they finally waive somebody or just send Tuch down again?
Tuch might go back down. Hopefully they figure out how to keep him up though since he's my guy. The only one I'd consider getting on my jersey.

We've got to remember this is a work in progress. People are going to move. Tuch and Theo need to find their space on the team, and hopefully sooner than later for me. I know it's not super likely that we have a "full strength" team for a while, though.

Blue Goose

May 26, 2012
Los Angeles
hockeytransplant.com

I would imagine Tuch goes down. Every move we make is for long-term success, and that's it - our roster will be in flux all year, until we can sort out the logjam of players from the expansion draft (which probably won't happen until the trade deadline).

I can't say enough how awesome our scouts have looked so far with this team's performance and the moves that have been made.

All the complaints we've heard about picking up crap players that are now suddenly pretty good? That's 100% on the scouts and GMGM trusting his guys.

Very true. In fact, the only one we seem to have missed on is that 30-year-old guy we signed from Russia. ;) I kid, I kid.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Sbisa for me too, you'd think he was the worst player in the league listening to Canuck fans.

Fans who don't know hockey often hate players for contracts, not for their play. Another recent example would be Dan Girardi. Just like Girardi last season, Sbisa once played through an injury and therefore wasn't good...also didn't have an ideal partner with Kevin Bieksa. I think it was 14/15. And once those "fans" hate you it's difficult to change their opinion...

Does the Garrison move mean that Tuch is gonna stick? Likely the case, isn't it? Unless they wanna bring Shipachyov back...

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Fans who don't know hockey often hate players for contracts, not for their play. Another recent example would be Dan Girardi. Just like Girardi last season, Sbisa once played through an injury and therefore wasn't good...also didn't have an ideal partner with Kevin Bieksa. I think it was 14/15. And once those "fans" hate you it's difficult to change their opinion...

Does the Garrison move mean that Tuch is gonna stick? Likely the case, isn't it? Unless they wanna bring Shipachyov back...
I think Tuch stays, Ship's got to stay in the AHL for a while for a little seasoning/mental adjustment.

Reactions: Nevada Jones

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad