Who is this year's Jesse Joensuu?

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
If I recall correctly, Joensuu was once considered a sure fire top draft pick, near the cream of the crop. He ended up being selected at the end of the 2nd round.

Who in this draft has seen their stock plummet?

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Yeah i agree with Espo. He was the sure thing number 1 pick at the beggining of the yr. He is definelty not anymore.

Yann

Apr 4, 2007
Ontario
Yeah i agree with Espo. He was the sure thing number 1 pick at the beggining of the yr. He is definelty not anymore.

Well Espo might be more like last years Frolik, cause hw wont fall second round after being considered for first

PuckNut

Oct 31, 2005
Edmonton
With a couple of teams having multiple first rounders this year, I doubt Espo will be selected in the 2nd. One of those teams can afford to take a chance on him.

Louis Houde

Jan 28, 2006
Trois-rivières
Who is this year's Jesse Joensuu? I would say Colton Gillies.
Both guys are huge ,were ranked top 5 but fall for different reasons.

Joensuu : bad skating,limited offensive potential
Gillies : super skating ,limited offensive potential

Ferjo

Sep 28, 2004
Katic was rated top 5 at one point. he could probably drop as far as the fourth round. Repik, Skokan, Bashkirov and Stich were considered first rounders at one point but should all be scattered anywhere from the third to sixth rounds.

Personally i have Keaton Ellerby mid second round but I seem to be alone on this one. He was, and still is rated high, but I'm just not sure about that.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Backlund. Last year he was thought to be a top five pick for this year. The same was true of Joensuu the year before his draft. Right up until the draft most around here thought that someone would take a chance on Joensuu late in the first. The same is true of Backlund. Joensuu ended up falling to the second round. We'll see about Backlund.

Ike Thermite

Mar 12, 2006
Mikael Backlund is the guy that came right to mind for me. There was plenty of talk around draft time last year that he could be better than Nicklas Backstrom but injuries and poor play this season seem to have pushed him down to a late first round/early second round pick.

haelwho

Mar 8, 2006
Boston
Egor Averin was supposed to be a top-fiver and the best Russian player in the draft at one point.

haelwho

Mar 8, 2006
Boston
Here's some cannon fodder:
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/columnist.jsp?content=20060824_125517_3408

Quebec centre Angelo Esposito is the top offensive talent available and the early line favourite to be the top overall selection next June. Minnesota high schooler Mike Hoeffel, Ontario centre Logan Couture, Czech winger Jakub Voracek, and Russian flyer Egor Averin represent the next tier on offence and, while Esposito is the clear top gun, all four seem at least capable of battling for top five overall status at next June's draft. Throw big, physical American blue-liner Nick Petrecki and Maritimer Stephen Lund, a well-rounded defenceman, into the mix and it shapes up as a wide open affair.

Czech Michal Repik and Slovak David Skokan are another pair of skilled Euro wingers who already have a year of North American experience under their belts. Repik had a marvellous freshman campaign in the WHL, getting all the way to the Memorial Cup with Vancouver. Skokan, on the other hand, played for a rebuilding Rimouski club and got a ton of ice time; he'll be expected to lead a resurgent Oceanic squad offensively this season.

At this point we're assuming that there will finally be a transfer agreement in place with the Russian Federation by this time next year - which is good news, since 2007 will feature a good Russian crop after two down years. In addition to Averin, we see another 4-6 Russians as potential first rounders, led by huge defenceman Artem Dubinin, and a trio of slick goal sniping wingers in Alexei Dostoinov, Ruslan Bashkirov, and Alexei Cherepanov.

RedLine top 10 from last August:
http://www2.sportsnet.ca/hockey/redline_top10_aug06.php

1. Angelo Esposito C 6-0/180 R 20 FEB 89 Quebec
2. Nick Petrecki D 6-3/205 L 11 JUL 89 Omaha
3. Logan Couture C 6-0/191 L 03 MAR 89 Ottawa
4. Jakub Voracek RW 6-1/174 L 15 AUG 89 Halifax
5. Mike Hoeffel C 6-2/190 L 09 APR 89 U.S. NTDP U-18
6. Egor Averin RW 5-10/165 L 25 AUG 89 Avang. Omsk
7. Stephen Lund D 6-3/200 R 09 SEP 89 PEI
8. Karl Alzner D 6-2/200 L 24 SEP 88 Calgary
9. Michal Repik RW 5-11/172 R 31 DEC 88 Vancouver
10. David Skokan LW 6-0/192 L 06 DEC 88 Rimouski

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
wow. things really change a lot.

wasnt colton gillies ranked #1 by mckeens about a year ago???

BritSabre

Feb 10, 2006
Reading, UK
wow. things really change a lot.

wasnt colton gillies ranked #1 by mckeens about a year ago???

Yep. He was top 3 in all the major scouting lists at one point and Pat Kane was considered an early 2nd rounder. Katic and Backlund were mentioned and are very good examples. Katic was a top 10 prospect and Backlund was challenging for #1. Both guys fell deep into the 2nd round and beyond, but recently their stock has been rising thanks largely to strong U18 WJC performances. I'll throw John Negrin's name into the mix. Although never considered a top 10 or even top 15 player, he was always considered 20-30 prospect for over a year. I would be highly surprised to see him picked before the 3rd round.

WVP

Mar 22, 2004
Definitely Backlund and Espo, although I guess we'll have to see what really happens.

caley

Aug 19, 2006
twitter.com
I'd say Akim Aliu. He wasn't rated THAT high come fall, but over the course of the year he got a ton of hype, based off his play and his performance in the Prospects Game, that he was elevated in a lot of people's eyes to the point of being a darkhorse Top 10 pick. But, him leaving his second team, thus far, in his junior career is going to scare off most teams. I'd be surprised to see him go in the first two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->