who is the starter for Sweden?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
Tellqvist and Salo is the backup. Lundqvist is there in case of emergency because he isnt used to the rink size so i guess there not going to play him.

Robertsson 4-ever

Jan 26, 2004
Wexio
Tellqvist had a somewhat shaky game vs the Czechs in the last friendly but he is the starter anyway, to scratch him now would hurt his confidence too much. Besides, Tellqvist is much of Sweden's future in goal, it would be wrong to not let him play.

Leo Naphta

May 14, 2004
On top of the World
Every rumour coming out of Sweden of decided lineups should be taken with a grain of salt. Hardy Nilsson, the coach, detests journalists and is almost certainly not leaking anything resembling the truth. Swedish media even reports today that the new Swedish tactic consists of disinformation - with the coach being quoted as saying that they know that the North Americans have been watching carefully their practise matches and perhaps even their practices, and that it would be foolish to reveal how they were going to play in the tournament - which seems to mean that changes in the lineup is to be expected.

Last edited:

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Leo Naphta said:
Every rumour coming out of Sweden of decided lineups should be taken with a grain of salt. Hardy Nilsson, the coach, detests journalists and is almost certainly not leaking anything resembling the truth. Swedish media even reports today that the new Swedish tactic consists of misinformation - with the coach being quoted as saying that they know that the North Americans have been watching carefully their practise matches and perhaps even their practices, and that it would be foolish to reveal how they were going to play in the tournament - which seems to mean that changes in the lineup is to be expected.

Didn't Hardy also once fool Aftonbladet completly with giving real weird line combos that were as far from reality as possible?

mach777

Nov 10, 2003
mattihp said:
Didn't Hardy also once fool Aftonbladet completly with giving real weird line combos that were as far from reality as possible?

i can't stand hardy.. he can't coach worth beans

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Hardy's biggest flaw is his inconsistency in being strict and being too soft on the players. And of course himself giving up before the players on the ice do. Without Coach Mats Sundin, sweden wouldn't have had a chance when they were down 1-5 against Finland.

Leo Naphta

May 14, 2004
On top of the World
I'm not a fan of Hardy myself, but the trouble is that as far as I can see, there really is not many alternatives. The only ones that would be a clear improvement over Hardy, in my opinion of course, would be Conny Evensson and Pär Bäckman - both of them would have prevented losing to Belarus by a more active coaching and a more aggressive display than Hardy put on. The former is however retired and the latter is far too outspoken to be appointed by the clowns running Swedish hockey. After those two, there are a lot of candidates that may or may not turn out better.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Leo Naphta said:
I'm not a fan of Hardy myself, but the trouble is that as far as I can see, there really is not many alternatives. The only ones that would be a clear improvement over Hardy, in my opinion of course, would be Conny Evensson and Pär Bäckman - both of them would have prevented losing to Belarus by a more active coaching and a more aggressive display than Hardy put on. The former is however retired and the latter is far too outspoken to be appointed by the clowns running Swedish hockey. After those two, there are a lot of candidates that may or may not turn out better.

Bring back Curre ;)

Robertsson 4-ever

Jan 26, 2004
Wexio
mattihp said:
Bring back Curre ;)

Please don't.

But I would like a comeback by Hans "Virus" Lindberg. He maybe isn't such active coach as Bäckman and Evensson, but he knows a lot about hockey and he has led the national team before. I really like him and think he would do a great job.

H/H

Aug 27, 2004
Leo Naphta said:

Such things are overrated. The real coaching is done during training and scrimmages. Running around the bench screaming and waving your arms is just an unnecessary show that probably doesn't work to well on guys with 10+ years of NHL experience.

Leo Naphta

May 14, 2004
On top of the World
H/H said:
Such things are overrated. The real coaching is done during training and scrimmages. Running around the bench screaming and waving your arms is just an unnecessary show that probably doesn't work to well on guys with 10+ years of NHL experience.

It sure didn't work doing nothing against Belarus.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
H/H said:
well... The coach still has to be the one doing the on-fly changes

SChan*

both salo and tellqvist sucks imo. In fact Sweden has never been better upfront, but also never been so weak in goal.

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Fulcrum said:
telly is actually pretty experienced in International games. so is Salo.

eh, in 2003, Sweden was down 5:1 to Finland in the world championship semi finals, Salo got pulled and Tellqvist came in. Sweden made a miraculous comeback to win that game 6:5 and went on in the finals where Tellqvist was picked ahead of Salo and lost to Canada 3:2 in overtime.

Leo Naphta

May 14, 2004
On top of the World
According to Swedish daily newspaper Dagens Nyheter (DN), Tommy Salo has been selected as tomorrows starter. According to DN, this makes it likely that they will go with Salo as the starter throughout the tournament, though DN makes no claim to have any such information.

Since Sweden is playing on consecutive days, it is however not unreasonable to suppose that they will go with Tellquist on Wednesday, and make a final decision after that.

DN is not a tabloid and fairly reliable, though their hockey coverage is not always the best. It should also be noted that the coach threatened to spread disinformation the other day. It could still be some such information that DN have picked up.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
MOGiLNY said:
eh, in 2003, Sweden was down 5:1 to Finland in the world championship semi finals, Salo got pulled and Tellqvist came in. Sweden made a miraculous comeback to win that game 6:5 and went on in the finals where Tellqvist was picked ahead of Salo and lost to Canada 3:2 in overtime.

Yes but Tellqvist had played games prior to that and has experience from earlier tournaments.

Leo Naphta

May 14, 2004
On top of the World
Grandma Shark said:
QUESTION: Will Nils Ekman [SJ SHARKS] be in starting lineup? Did he play in exhibition games.....if, so how did he do??? Thanks for any/all info!! :D

I very much doubt it. He has only played one exhibition game so far. I didn't see that game so I don't know how he did, but he was described by one paper as "far from bad" - not exactly a ringing endorsement is it. My guess would be that Ekman's only chance of playing is (assuming there are no injuries) that the Sedins get scratched (could happen, they were apparently on the fifth line with Ekman in practise yesterday) and that Andreas Johansson (who wil probably get a chance in that event) screws it up.

Grandma Shark

Jan 10, 2004
SAN JOSE<South Bay> IN CA
Leo Naphta said:
I very much doubt it. He has only played one exhibition game so far. I didn't see that game so I don't know how he did, but he was described by one paper as "far from bad" - not exactly a ringing endorsement is it. My guess would be that Ekman's only chance of playing is (assuming there are no injuries) that the Sedins get scratched (could happen, they were apparently on the fifth line with Ekman in practise yesterday) and that Andreas Johansson (who wil probably get a chance in that event) screws it up.

THANK YOU, Leo! Please tell me the paper of article and any more info on him during these next 2 weeks, if you will........you can email me info instead of using board if you wish. Appreciate you input!!

Leo Naphta

May 14, 2004
On top of the World
Grandma Shark said:
THANK YOU, Leo! Please tell me the paper of article and any more info on him during these next 2 weeks, if you will........you can email me info instead of using board if you wish. Appreciate you input!!

The paper was Expressen. You can see how they have rated his performances in practice at this URL. http://expressen.se/expressen/jsp/polopoly.jsp?a=171636 (the rankings range from 1 mark to 5, with the latter being the highest)

I very much doubt that EKman will figure in any news in the next two weeks.

Seiza

Feb 28, 2002
Sweden
Leo Naphta said:
The paper was Expressen. You can see how they have rated his performances in practice at this URL. http://expressen.se/expressen/jsp/polopoly.jsp?a=171636 (the rankings range from 1 mark to 5, with the latter being the highest)

I very much doubt that EKman will figure in any news in the next two weeks.

What does Expressen know about hockey? :lol

But I agree with you Leo Naphta, Ekman will probably not see very much icetime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->