CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Pens
Bost
Nash
TB
Win
Tor

Id put them in this order but things could easily change. Playoffs are not friendly to anybody.

Nathaniel Skywalker

Oct 18, 2013
Pens. But Boston and Tampa worry me a lil. Specifically Boston. Tampas PK is a big red flag for them. Especially against a team like Pitts

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
the east is so wide open. you can never count the pens out but I'd put them behind Tampa, Boston, and toronto in the east.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
The thing that gives me hope is that the Bruins always play well against Tampa and Pitt. Washington, not so much.

But right now I would say Nashville.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
TB I think. They've cooled off a little but I think when the games start meaning more they'll be super dangerous again. Their depth is just ridiculous.

Reactions: T REX

ChiefWiggum

Dec 17, 2016
Newfoundland
1. Nashville: They have the experience now and the addition of Kyle Turris is another weapon and who knows how well Tolvanen may gel. If he fits in well, Nashville has another natural sniper to match Forsberg.

2. Winnipeg: all the offensive firepower needed, goaltending is no longer an issue, a sturdy blueline. But no playoff wins in franchise history is a knock against their odds.

3. Boston: firing on ALL cylinders at the RIGHT TIME

4. Tampa: They have the team but they have entered a deep freeze at the ABSOLUTE WORST TIME. But if they can get things together, they can surpass NSH for top spot.

5. Pittsburgh: They arent the same team this year but they have the experience and will strike fear into whoever they play.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Top tier: Playing the most consistent right now and IMO would be front runners.
- Boston
- Nashville

Contenders: With injuries, inconsistencies, etc heading to the playoffs.
- Tampa
- Winnipeg
- Pittsburgh
- Washington

Dangerous Floaters: I would not be surprised if these teams made a run.
- Toronto (they just have a hell of a road to do it)
- Vegas (best story of the year)
- NJ (Young but deadly)
- Philly (Young but deadly)
- Columbus (trending so fast upward they could move into contenders)

Not buying it: I would seriously be shocked if any of these teams won.
- Minnesota
- LAK
- Anaheim
- St Louis
- San Jose

But let's face it. This is a tournament and it's the NHL. Anything can happen. IF I had to put all my money on one team - Nashville. Toughest place to play and deepest team.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
For me it's Boston in the East and Nashville in the West. Think teams like Winnipeg, Pittsburgh and San Jose can't be counted out either. In regards to Tampa and Vegas both teams have cooled off lately. Wonder if they can pick it up when the playoffs start.

3rdLiner

Jan 21, 2011
Cape Cod
I mean Pittsburgh has to be tired, right?....

Any of the 3 atlantic teams have a shot. Nashville is probably front-running the west but I like WPG too and you just can't predict VGK.

NSH
Pitts
TB/BOS/WPG
Tor
VGK

Dark horse:WSH

Reactions: Luc Labelle

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The thing that gives me hope is that the Bruins always play well against Tampa and Pitt. Washington, not so much.

But right now I would say Nashville.

Yea, the Capitals would be Boston's worst case scenario. The cant beat the Caps as it is. In this case should the Caps get to the Bruins it would be right after having the monkey come off their backs.

DenOnde

Dec 5, 2016
Finland
Top tier: Playing the most consistent right now and IMO would be front runners.
- Boston
- Nashville

Contenders: With injuries, inconsistencies, etc heading to the playoffs.
- Tampa
- Winnipeg
- Pittsburgh
- Washington

Dangerous Floaters: I would not be surprised if these teams made a run.
- Toronto (they just have a hell of a road to do it)
- Vegas (best story of the year)
- NJ (Young but deadly)
- Philly (Young but deadly)
- Columbus (trending so fast upward they could move into contenders)

Not buying it: I would seriously be shocked if any of these teams won.
- Minnesota
- LAK
- Anaheim
- St Louis
- San Jose

But let's face it. This is a tournament and it's the NHL. Anything can happen. IF I had to put all my money on one team - Nashville. Toughest place to play and deepest team.
:huh:

So 8 of the top 11 teams are from the east...Riiight

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
:huh:

So 8 of the top 11 teams are from the east...Riiight

Always show up with a reason, or your argument is weak. My argument is this:

East: I think the east is wide open from the metro side of things. I can make a case for each team from Washington, NJ, Pittsburgh, Philly, and CBJ on how they could come out of the metro and get to the ECF. Each team has a strength and each team has a definitive weakness. So I could honestly make a strong case for any team and find at least one simple way they make it.

Now let's look at the Atlantic. Holy shit that is a logjam to get to the ECF. Tampa/Boston/Toronto. Have fun. Those 3 teams are all really talented but only 1 can come out. I would feel sorry for them but Pittsburgh/Washington had to play one another in the 2nd round in back to back seasons. But that doesn't take away from how strong those teams are.

So I think the easiest route to the conference finals is through the Metro side.

West: I don't think anyone will argue that Nashville will by far be the favorite to the WCF. Winnipeg MAY be getting healthy at the right time, but Nashville is so strong and deep. AND they know how hard it is to get to the Finals and be so close. It's the NHL so nothing is guaranteed, but my comment remains true: If any of the teams beat Nashville/Winnipeg (who have to play one another possibly) - ill be shocked. Crazier stuff has happened, but it would be shocking. That's not throwing shade at all. It's giving props to the two teams who deserve it.

Let's look at the Pacific. Do you see any team that could play Nashville/Winnipeg and be favored AND go to the SCF and be able to beat a team like Boston/Tampa? I don't. I'm not saying it can't be done. There are ZERO guarantees in life. But i don't think people will throw money on those series and believe they have a legit chance.

There is my reasoning. Remember one very important thing: There are no guarantees. Upsets are 100% possible. But the "I would be shocked" category doesn't mean it's impossible. I would legit be shocked and i think it would make for one hell of a story. I would not be shocked in the East because how it all shook up. I think the fact Boston/Tampa/Toronto have to kill one another is a joke and the league format is hilarious. I have zero empathy because the Pens had to go through it themselves. Columbus/Washington. Yeah.. totally fair. 3 of the top 5 teams battling for 1 spot. I get it.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I mean Pittsburgh has to be tired, right?....

Any of the 3 atlantic teams have a shot. Nashville is probably front-running the west but I like WPG too and you just can't predict VGK.

NSH
Pitts
TB/BOS/WPG
Tor
VGK

Dark horse:WSH

2 things:

1) I said it in the summer and @Eazy for Kuzy can vouch for me - Washington is a great call as a dark horse. They have a team that isn't as loaded with very little expectations and a shit load of hunger. They have a good goaltending duo if something goes wrong, as we are seeing now. Everyone claimed it was over for them. I thought it was the best thing to be forced to play hungry young guys and lose expectations.

2) The Pens have to be exhausted and their inconsistent play right now isn't making a strong case. So i agree with your assessment.

Reactions: Bladerunner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad