Upgrade your account today to enjoy the forums ad-free.
Click here to upgrade: Account Upgrades

Who is the one player (realistically) you would add this summer

Discussion in 'Philadelphia Flyers' started by The Madrigal, May 18, 2018.

?

Who would be number acquisition

Poll closed Jun 2, 2018.
  1. John Tavares

30.0%
  2. Paul Stastny

10.8%
  3. Tyler Bozak

14.2%
  4. JVR

4.2%
  5. Evander Kane

2.5%
  6. John Carlson

9.2%
  7. Calvin de Haan

3.3%
  8. Dougie Hamilton

1.7%
  9. Tyler Myers

1.7%
  10. Jeff Skinner

11.7%
  11. Other (specify in post)

10.8%
  1. deadhead

deadhead Registered User

It's not that simple, because of time and STs.
    First two lines will play 32 or more ES minutes out of maybe 52 total.
    So you want your best players on those lines.
    3rd line maybe plays 12 ES minutes, 4th line 8-10 at most.
    So your 4th line guys should play the PK, so you don't have to use your top 6 guys and save their legs for ES and PP.

Now if you're lucky enough to have 4th line guys who can skate, forecheck, play the PK AND contribute offense, that's a deep team, but odds are they're going to be your 3rd line guys (how many teams go 12 deep?). But you're gonna prioritize energy and defense, because you want them to make the opposing team's offensive guys work (and get better matchups for your offensive guys).

The other problem is if you have solid guys on the 4th line, how you gonna pay for them as RFAs?

This is why you need to draft well in the middle rounds (and collect extra picks) so you have a steady supply of bottom six guys, sleepers surprise and move up to the top six (who tend to be signed to longer contracts), a few graduate to the 3rd line and either fall off the cliff after a few years or get traded when they become too expensive, the rest cycle on the 4th line and are replaced by young cheaper draft picks every 2-3 years.

Look at the Pens, they had two cup runs built around two lines and some young draft picks, Guentzel #77, Rust #80, Kuhnhackl #110, Simon #137, Sheary UDFA, Aston-Reese UDFA.
    They got Sheahan for Wilson #209 and a 3rd rd pick, Schultz for a 3rd rd pick, Oleksiak for a 4th rd pick

The top of the team was build on high picks and big deals (Crosby, Malkin, Letang, Kessel, Hagelin, Brassard, Hornvqvist), the rest of the team through middle round picks, both retained and traded. And one of those picks became a top 6 player (Guentzel).

2. OzFlyers

OzFlyers Registered Boozer

OK, I will give you Cole out of the three you listed. Feel better? I would still prefer a longer term solution then a one year plug in!

3. tictactoe

tictactoe Registered User

I feel fine either way. Ultimately, I do not give a ****..

4. tucson83

tucson83 Registered User

yes drafting is every easy, that's why every team is playing their drafted rookies and not making trades or going after free agents.

5. dingbathero

dingbathero No Jam? How about PB

I'm going to prolly be going against the grain here and say Toby Enstrom.

Playing him on the 2nd/3rd pairing and as PK defender would work.

I know he hasn't played the best the last few seasons but he is a MUCH better option then Hagg. He plays the shutdown role quite well (or at least has) - if the Flyers see Hagg as a mainstay perhaps he can mentor a fellow countryman

could run

Provorov/Ghost
    Sanhiem/Macdonald (as per HAK) OR - Myers(please jesus get both these guys up here)
    Enstrom/Macdonald/Myers/Gudas
    Hagg

6. renberg

renberg Registered User

Home Page:
    The greatest issue with Enstrom has been his health. He has been banged up more than a fair share recently. He's like a Neuvirth on defense.

7. SolidSnakeUS

SolidSnakeUS Registered User Sponsor

He also used to be an offensive contributor and that's even gone the wayside. We have no use for him.

If we do get Bozak and Grabner, sign them for 2 years:

G-Couts-TK
    Lindblom-Patrick-Voracek
    Grab-Bozak-Simmonds
    Raffl-Laughton-NAK

CanadianSniper likes this.
  8. renberg

renberg Registered User

Home Page:
    Just an idea but would obtaining Carl Soderstrom work as a 3C? He has two years left on his deal at $4.75M which is costly but the Flyers could afford that. IDK what the Avs would want in return but they might want to move Soderstrom in order to create some more cap room if they made a run at bringing back Statsny.

9. denominator

denominator Registered User

Archaeologist
    I know the Flyers likely would not be interested, but here's what the rumour mill in Calgary is saying:

The Flames need to move out at least one defenceman this summer. In order, they'd want to move Stone, Hamonic, Brodie, Hamilton, or Giordano. Given the lack of a first round pick and Treliving's ability/desire to make moves on draft day, it seems likely that at least one Flames defenceman will be on the move then.

Stone is likely a simple trade-off for a third round pick. He's serviceable but overpaid.

Hamonic is unlikely to be moved because of the lost cost on him. He cost the Flames a first and two seconds, and there is no way they are getting that kind of return for him now. At best they can get a first back for him; so they are far more likely to keep him as he is still serviceable and you can try to justify the cost over the long-term.

That leaves the big three: Brodie, Hamilton, and Giordano. Arguments are made for all three being moved:

Brodie was the local whipping boy, despite being utilized in the worst possible way. For whatever reason, Gulutzan decided the best balance for a fast, puck moving, puck rushing defenceman was a slow, stay at home defenceman and he was paired with either Stone or Hamonic for most of the year. Brodie was often caught looking to make a play when his partner just chips it off the glass or looks for a reverse behind the net. He got blamed when really it was poor utilization. On top of that, it seemed every legitimate error Brodie made (usually an offensive or neutral zone turnover) ended up in the Flames net and he got blamed. When the Flames put Brodie with Hamilton or Giordano, it was magic; but that was a depressingly rare occurrence. Sounds like he is the most likely to move as the Flames seem to want to cut their losses on his turnover numbers.

Hamilton has the biggest upside, but there are reports of him being a bad presence in the room (which may or may not be part of why Boston traded him in the first place).

Giordano is the least likely to be moved, as he's on a team-friendly contract and the captain. However, most of us believe he has one more elite top-pairing season in him, then a fast decline is likely coming. If the team is unlikely to make a significant playoff push in 2018-19, he's my choice to sell high on right now and add a younger piece to a generally younger core.

As for what any of those deals would look like - moving Hamilton would almost certainly include Brouwer. The Flames desperately need out of that contract and nobody is taking him for free. If the Flyers were interested in Brodie or Hamilton (I doubt they are looking at anyone else the Flames are offering), a deal would likely look like Hamilton/Brodie+Brouwer+prospect for #19+prospect(s)/draft picks. I could definitely see the Flames asking for one of the many Flyers D prospects, although the Flames pipeline is actually in good shape with Andersson, Kylington, Fox, et al.

10. Ruck Over

Ruck Over Registered User Sponsor

Off-season funsies

I could get behind a Hamilton+Brouwer::#19+(pick/prospect) trade. There's definitely cap-space available, and I consider the #19 and Hamilton to be a wash. The Flyers have excelled at taking bad contracts for bad players and figuring it out later. It really comes down to what the plus is. A 2019 2nd, or a prospect at the Laberge/Bunnaman level is a yes. A second 1st, or a prospect at Allison/Laczynski levels, and that's a no.

Completely tied to taking back the contract of Brouwer, whom is the Calgary version of Lehtera, but with an A, and a modicum of more skill.

Even if this blew up in the Flyers face, which seems unlikely (unless Hamilton is just a **** in the locker room), a move like this would be the popular thing Hextall just said he wouldn't do. It'd get me hyped, but the 3 years Hamilton has left on his contract, for a reasonable $5.75m per, doesn't seem to match the Flyers window without having to commit serious money and term upon his contract expiration in 2021.

:dunno:

11. Rebels57

Rebels57 Registered User

I'd be interested in Hamilton or Brodie but not at the expense of Sanheim or Myers. Taking back Brouwer certainly lowers the return. Would you have interest centered around Simmonds + 19 and Hamilton?

BrindamoursNose likes this.
  12. Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin Imaginary Cat

University lecturer
    The **** did you just say?

13. MacDonald4MVP

MacDonald4MVP Registered User

And now imagine the kind of usage Hakstol would give Hamilton. Buried behind Ghost and Mac at least.

14. Rebels57

Rebels57 Registered User

Let's not get carried away. Hamilton is an experienced vet at this point. Plus if Hextall trades for him, he's not gonna stand by and watch him be underused. Even I can admit that.

BrindamoursNose likes this.
  15. MacDonald4MVP

MacDonald4MVP Registered User

He has to trade for him first. We don't know if he feels we are at that point yet.

16. Rebels57

Rebels57 Registered User

Well yeah that goes without saying.

17. Striiker

Striiker Registered User

Or if Calgary is going to move him.

Or if Calgary has a reasonable asking price.

Or if another team is willing to offer more.

18. LegionOfDoom91

LegionOfDoom91 Registered User

I doubt Hextall would even trade for him as I doubt he’d even value Hamilton enough. Hamilton is pretty much the anti-hockeyguy player.

19. dingbathero

dingbathero No Jam? How about PB

Soderstrom for Macdonald

Avs have NO need for AMac - wouldn't be oppose to this tho.

Simmonds for Hamonic

20. deadhead

deadhead Registered User

Soderberg - Filpulla redux.

21. baudib1

baudib1 Registered User

I'd give up a lot for Hamilton.

While we're on the phone we might as well bring back Johnny Hockey.

22. hatcher

hatcher Registered User

And ferland. Plays like Tom Wilson. Rides shotgun for the top players and we need that.

23. FlyerMatt

FlyerMatt Registered User

I'm aiming high and going for Tavares. Not sure I want to give up much of our young talent in a trade. Carlson would also be a big get. If not Tavares, get Carlson and wing help like Grabner.

24. Tripod

Tripod Registered User

Ferland is a UFA next summer....so that matters. Flames fans offered a Ferland and Bennett for Simmonds deal. What that would do, is fill 2 of the 3rd line player spots.

Of course, you would have to believe you can re-sign Ferland to a nice deal and also believe that Bennett has more upside than he has shown to date. He is still only 21....but back to back 26 point season are a cause for concern. But the time to grab him is now BEFORE any breakout happens because if he bounces up to the 40 point range, the chance to get him would be gone because he then people would be thinking he could keep jumping up in points.

Captain Dave Poulin likes this.
  25. hatcher

hatcher Registered User

Do the deal. Both those players are young and bring it. The points will come for Bennett and ferland might only get 35 pts Max but he bring the heat every game but once a month.

Captain Dave Poulin likes this.