Who is the one player (realistically) you would add this summer

Who would be number acquisition

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Reality is we likley won't get a #3C thru UFA for 1-2 years. So the option becomes do you sign a guy like Plecs who should be a 4th line C now, and still play him at #3C? Do you suffer thru a year with Laughton then Lehtera at #4? Not ideal options.

Or go the trade route and try and grab a guy?

It just sort of sucks because as of today, it does look like in 1 year, Vorobyev and Frost should be ready for the 3rd and 4th line dutes. But that does not help us this year.

The only UFA’s I’d even consider signing for more than 2 years are Tavares and Stastny. They’re both unlikely so you go the trade route if need be. It doesn’t have to be this offseason, but it should be by next year’s trade deadline.

In all honesty, there’s a ton of questions that will be easier to answer a year from now.

Is Simmonds resigned or traded?
Where is Frost at in his development?
Where is Hart at in his development?
Are Sanheim, Myers, or Morin significant contributors?
Are Vorobyev, Rubstov, Allison, etc. ready to make the jump in 19-20?
The 14th and 19th picks could be quality assets, used to trade up in the top 8, or used to trade for help now.

Really, all of those should be much clearer by next year’s trade deadline. I’m as impatient as anyone, but unless you’re adding a top 6 forward or top 4 defenseman that will be around for 3-5 years, the play should be to continue to grow from within and re-evaluate in a year.

Last edited:

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Why would he not take it? He's currently 32 and he's more of what we need in a 3rd line center than someone Stastny. Stastny would want 6M+ and I don't think that is a very smart idea spending that much on a 3C. Also, someone like Stastny and Bozak aren't wingers, they've been centers their entire careers.

You don't honestly believe that some other team won't offer him more than that? Bozak is getting more than 3 million for two years. The Flyers could manage to offer Stastny 7 million / 3 year deal. Lethera comes off the books next year, Filppula this year,and MacDonald in two years. Especially if Hextall doesn't act like a fool and re-sign Simmonds. The Flyers need to use the available cap space to offer money to the right players to improve the team, not continue to buy low end trash. This is really the last time Bozak and Stastny have to cash in on any money.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Such a shame we didn't get stamkos when we had the chance. :sarcasm:
Seriously though, he is lucky to be in tampa. I can't even imagine how some of the mo demanding fanbases would hate his ass.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
did it make you sick to watch Couturier (one of the team's leaders) score 9 points in 5 games playing on one leg?

leaders aren't the problem. lack of depth and bad goaltending is.
Pens didn't give us there best but coots played alright. The pens vs caps was a hellava round compared to what the pens brought to us. They knew they could beat us easy.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
I don't see Frost spending a day in the AHL, he's NHL ready mentally, just needs to fill out some more and get stronger and play a more physical game.
And he's not a wing, Giroux was a wing in juniors and AHL, Frost is a pure center.
Frost is along ways out. He got points in the playoffs but f***in died compared to a player like konecny. No comparison in players at all. Konecny in junior was twice the player.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
You don't honestly believe that some other team won't offer him more than that? Bozak is getting more than 3 million for two years. The Flyers could manage to offer Stastny 7 million / 3 year deal. Lethera comes off the books next year, Filppula this year,and MacDonald in two years. Especially if Hextall doesn't act like a fool and re-sign Simmonds. The Flyers need to use the available cap space to offer money to the right players to improve the team, not continue to buy low end trash. This is really the last time Bozak and Stastny have to cash in on any money.

Then the question is, why would Stastny want to be relegated to being the 3rd line center? He could easily get that kind of money elsewhere and be put in a better position in terms of players, play time and PP time. Also, 7M for a 3C is not going to fly. He'd be the 3rd most expensive player on the team and he'd be doing 3rd line duties.

You also have to worry about re-signing these players for the 19-20 season since they are RFA: Konecny, Provy, Sanheim, and Laughton. I'm sure the first 3 could pick up a pretty penny and then the following season you'd need to re-sign Myers, Lindblom and Patrick, where all 3 could get pretty large paydays. I think 7 million during these two years is a bit much to swallow for a 3C.

If need be, I'd say 2 year at 3.5M or 4M for Bozak would be fine as he was just making 3.75M per.

Last edited:

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
But we need a 3rd line Center though. We don't have one on the NHL roster or one that is clearly NHL ready in the AHL.

The only spot that could maybe use an upgrade in the top 6 is 2LW, but I actually have a lot of faith in a Lindblom-Patrick-Voracek line being even better next year, and they were really good for a long stretch of the 2nd half.

If we could sign Bozak or a similar UFA like Derek Ryan, and trade Simmonds for a guy like Skinner, pushing Lindblom down to the 3rd line, i'd be all about it.

Ughhhhh I can't stomach the idea of getting Skinner simply because JJ will remind us every period that he used to figure skate

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Reality is we likley won't get a #3C thru UFA for 1-2 years. So the option becomes do you sign a guy like Plecs who should be a 4th line C now, and still play him at #3C? Do you suffer thru a year with Laughton then Lehtera at #4? Not ideal options.

Or go the trade route and try and grab a guy?

It just sort of sucks because as of today, it does look like in 1 year, Vorobyev and Frost should be ready for the 3rd and 4th line dutes. But that does not help us this year.
Hadn’t you heard?

There’s great 3Cs, willing to take short deals, all over free agency. It’s like picking them off a tree.

Only reason we don’t have one is Hextall doesn’t want to win.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
Pens didn't give us there best but coots played alright. The pens vs caps was a hellava round compared to what the pens brought to us. They knew they could beat us easy.
The Pens looked terrible against us. That series should have been a sweep and likely cost them another Cup since we banged up a few of their players in the process

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Kunitz can't even skate well enough to grind with the current NHL. Not to mention that he's about to be 39 years old and we can clearly put better people on our team than him just from the Phantoms. I'd rather have McDonald grind it out than Kunitz on this team. He'd an aged vet who doesn't really have it anymore for the NHL. Raffl is the grinding and speed type that we need on the bottom line and he clearly younger, faster and stronger than Kunitz. So in the end, Kunitz is a pointless endeavor for this team because we have younger and better choices than him in our system and on the team already.

Character means nothing if you can't even play the current NHL game. Might as well keep Lehtera around since he has character right?

I just wholly disagree. I think the Lightning have been quite happy with Chris Kunitz so far and if they are, why wouldn't we be?

And no: I don't think Lehtera has any unique character. That is a terrible comparison you just made in an effort to chastise me.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Then the question is, why would Stastny want to be relegated to being the 3rd line center? He could easily get that kind of money elsewhere and be put in a better position in terms of players, play time and PP time. Also, 7M for a 3C is not going to fly. He'd be the 3rd most expensive player on the team and he'd be doing 3rd line duties.

You also have to worry about re-signing these players for the 19-20 season since they are RFA: Konecny, Provy, Sanheim, and Laughton. I'm sure the first 3 could pick up a pretty penny and then the following season you'd need to re-sign Myers, Lindblom and Patrick, where all 3 could get pretty large paydays. I think 7 million during these two years is a bit much to swallow for a 3C.

If need be, I'd say 2 year at 3.5M or 4M for Bozak would be fine as he was just making 3.75M per.

Because he's getting paid? At the end of the day money talks. Players 35 or older aren't going to get paid a lot of money (unless you're not smart as a GM) and I'm not sure that someone is going to give him a 5 x 5. What's the point of cap space if you aren't going to use it? 7 million for a 3c stuff is an antiquated way of managing your roster.

Konecny and Provorov are the only two big $ contracts. Patrick and Sanheim could be but as of right now Laughton is a non factor and Sanheim (lack of points). P. Myers and Lindblom will still be RFAs as well and I don't just don't see them getting big contracts at the moment.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
Kunitz is ****ing trash. Team has plenty of character and signing him takes away a spot from Aube-Kubel who is also gritty and was one of the best ES scorers in the AHL this season. I think people forget that.

Lets say we signed Bozak and Grabner, which im not opposed to..

Giroux - Couturier - Konecny
Lindblom - Patrick - Voracek
Grabner - Bozak - Simmonds*
Raffl - Laughton - Aube-Kubel

Lehtera healthy scratch
Weise healthy scratch
Weal traded for 3rd

*If still here

Those are 4 lines you can role and win a lot of matchups with.

He isn't trash (Lightning are happy with him), this team doesn't have plenty of character (I've often hear that on this board and I agree), and NAK certainly isn't guaranteed a spot by any means so it isn't "taking away" one from him, since he may not be ready for the jump despite his scoring. I'm suggesting signing Kunitz to the 4th line -- do you want NAK to be on the 4th line? I wouldn't.

Again: I'm not attached to Kunitz in particular, but he's the first player that comes to mind I'd select for that specific role. If we get someone else, great -- but he does address holes in the team I see (albeit not top priority ones).

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Konency post draft season: 60g 30-71 101 +33 PO 7g 4-9 13 +2 (2 years), WJC 5g 1-1 2 [5'10 175]
Frost post draft season: 67g 40-72 112 +70 PO 24g 10-19 29 -4 [5'11 170]

Frost had similar production to TK, difference is Frost is leaner and probably a year behind in terms of physical maturity.
Frost with another season in Juniors should be ready to step right in at 3C, he could probably play there this season if you sheltered him.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
O no? So adding a guy that can elevate our ****ty PK from 29th to lets say 15th will do nothing? Yeah ok.
He does not even have to skate, just help us out on PK.. That's By the way Hal Gill was awesome on PK, @OzFlyers. Older Hal Gill is what doctor ordered for this team.

Lol at actually thinking any of those players would account for that big of a jump. The PK is going to be garbage so long as Lappy is here.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm suggesting signing Kunitz to the 4th line -- do you want NAK to be on the 4th line? I wouldn't.

I definitely want NAK on the 4th line, to me he brings what Leier lacked, the physical presence to go with similar speed and possibly better goal scoring skills.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008
I definitely want NAK on the 4th line, to me he brings what Leier lacked, the physical presence to go with similar speed and possibly better goal scoring skills.

Then why keep that on the 4th line? That's not what you're looking for in a 4th line. I like NAK but having him grind it out on the 4th is a waste IMO.

3rd line and up or better, IMO.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Then why keep that on the 4th line? That's not what you're looking for in a 4th line. I like NAK but having him grind it out on the 4th is a waste IMO.

3rd line and up or better, IMO.

He's a right winger. Who's he going to play over?

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Because he's getting paid? At the end of the day money talks. Players 35 or older aren't going to get paid a lot of money (unless you're not smart as a GM) and I'm not sure that someone is going to give him a 5 x 5. What's the point of cap space if you aren't going to use it? 7 million for a 3c stuff is an antiquated way of managing your roster.

Konecny and Provorov are the only two big $ contracts. Patrick and Sanheim could be but as of right now Laughton is a non factor and Sanheim (lack of points). P. Myers and Lindblom will still be RFAs as well and I don't just don't see them getting big contracts at the moment.

Then I will ask this then, why would Stastny sign here when he sees how many young talented centers we have? Who's to say he won't go to the Habs and be their 2nd line center (they need centers badly). I could see JT and Stastny going to the Habs and being their #1 and #2 for the next few season because they sure as f*** are lacking real centers.

I could see a Raffl-Laughton-NAK 4th line and that would be a pretty feisty line.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
NAK hasn't proved anything at the AHL level, he improved over his first season, but his strengths right now fit the 4th line, like Laughton, let him earn his promotion. Grinding it out on the 4th line is a perfect way for him to get his feet wet in the NHL

You could make a better case for Vorobyev, who has a shot at 4C in camp, especially in light of his PK play.
Raffl - Vorobyev - NAK wouldn't be bad, if Vorobyev is ready.

Plus, right now we have Laughton and Simmonds as wings on the 3rd line, I'd rather have Laughton there than 4C.

BrindamoursNose

Oct 14, 2008

Not a clue. I don't even know if he really should be in the NHL yet though, so I'm the wrong guy to make his case.

*Not saying he shouldn't be, just saying I'm not sure he's a lock exactly*

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
He's not blocking anyone if they earn it. If you just want to hand it to them, then sure.

maxresdefault.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->