Who is the one player (realistically) you would add this summer

Who would be number acquisition

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
For me its down to Carlson or Kane. I'd give a slight edge to Kane. He is going to be costly but I expect Carlson to get an insane contract unless he re-signs on a hometown discount. I also think in the long term a scoring LW with speed and toughness like Kane is a bigger need.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
ROR should be on that list. He is who I would choose since I expect Carlson to resign with Washington before free agency.

Reactions: Grebinator

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
From UFA's... given how much term and cap people would cost, and fit on team, and realism of getting them:

Grabner
Brodziak
Winnik

Kempny
Franson
Jerabek

Are the "cheaper" guys who I would be ok with them signing.

Tavares or Stastny would be amazing... but probably pipedreams.

Thornton, Riley Nash, Bozak, Plekanec... would be good/fine on short deals at C. Realistically I think only Bozak or Plekanec are possible. Would be ok with either at 3C... both Flip upgrades.

Perron is really the only top 6 winger I think could be feasible/interesting if not more than a few years. Kane, JvR, Neal, Maroon and Nash are either unappealing or won't happen.

Carlson, Hickey, de Haan and Enstrom are the only kind of "established" Dmen I feel worth anything really in UFA. Carlson is likely impossible. Would only want Enstrom on a ~1 year deal. Cn still play at ~#4 level, but there is a risk he falls off a cliff.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
ROR should be on that list. He is who I would choose since I expect Carlson to resign with Washington before free agency.
I don't think he should but that's just my opinion. I don't see Buffalo moving him and if you want to talk about having to give up a ton of assets I would expect the cost to trade for him to be astronomical. I'm a huge fan of ROR but I don't see it as being even remotely realistic. Feel free to vote for "other" though.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
From UFA's... given how much term and cap people would cost, and fit on team, and realism of getting them:

Grabner
Brodziak
Winnik

Kempny
Franson
Jerabek

Thornton, Riley Nash, Bozak, Plekanec... would be good/fine on short deals at C. Realistically I think only Bozak or Plekanec are possible. Would be ok with either at 3C... both Flip upgrades.

Perron is really the only top 6 winger I think could be feasible/interesting if not more than a few years. Kane, JvR, Neal, Maroon and Nash are either unappealing or won't happen.

Carlson, Hickey, de Haan and Enstrom are the only kind of "established" Dmen I feel worth anything really in UFA. Carlson is likely impossible. Would only want Enstrom on a ~1 year deal. Cn still play at ~#4 level, but there is a risk he falls off a cliff.
Disagree with a few things here but nothing that hasn't been discussed ad nauseam other than one thing.

Plekanec is finished and would be no different than bringing back Filppula more or less.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I don't think he should but that's just my opinion. I don't see Buffalo moving him and if you want to talk about having to give up a ton of assets I would expect the cost to trade for him to be astronomical. I'm a huge fan of ROR but I don't see it as being even remotely realistic. Feel free to vote for "other" though.
The report yesterday said expect a “Mike Richards” type of trade for ROR.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
So Konecny (Simmonds) Frost (Schenn), and a 2nd round pick would be a comparable package. I think it would take more since Schenn was considered one of the best prospects in all of hockey at the time of the trade where as Frost is just a really good prospect. No thanks from me.

Peacekeeper

Sep 27, 2017
Really think we win a cup with JT and don't run into cap trouble. Would be happy with Kane or Carlson and through trade I would be happy with Skinner

We have cap space and tbh I've been pretty bored watching this team the past year, more so than ever sadly (still watch every game, you know what I'm talking about) With the youth and a big change a lot of good energy would be ready to roll next year.

I would be disappointed with gap fillers and minimal progress.. having posters say 'were not competing for another 1-2 years' Than have Giroux or Voracek decline slightly at that time and have posters saying 'we need to wait 1 more year for X player to help'

We have cap space and plenty of ELCs to make this a great team. Again, hearing 'were X amount of years away' is annoying and not even guaranteed, if that's the case I'll be back in 2020 with the hindsight

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Disagree with a few things here but nothing that hasn't been discussed ad nauseam other than one thing.

Plekanec is finished and would be no different than bringing back Filppula more or less.

I mean, last year objectively Plekanec was way better than Flip and is still actually decent defensively. Plus is actually a real C instead of a LW masquerading as one. Though he is a risk.

Plekanec: 1.26 P/60, 51.35% CF, -0.09 CF Rel, 56.16% ExGF, +3.88 ExGF Rel, 12.44 ICF/60
39.03% ZSR,

Filppula: 1.1 P/60, 44.53% CF, -7.2 CF Rel, 43.32% ExGF, -9.55 ExGF Rel, 5.16 ICF/60
48.89% ZSR

The QoT and QoC is not worth listing as basically identical.

Plekanec was objectively pretty good given his usage. P/60 is only place you could realistically like to see more.

P.S. Sorry for making everyones eyes bleed with the Flip stats.

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
Since we all know how hexy dreads giving up anything of value i expect it to be a free agent signing or dirt cheap trade. In realm of possibility while being a good player at the same time is Stastny.
Two way guy (for reals, not just a label for washed up vet) who plays a heavy cycle game and has never been critisized for off ice behavior so he scores even character points. More money than term is something I could see happen and be happy with it.

What I expect to happen is some buy out turd to find his way here just to follow in Umberger filppula and Torgo footsteps. Probably Girardi for penalty kill while Tampa clears cap for Tavares or something.

Last edited:

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
This is a prime example of why advanced stats and those who live and die by them have a bad reputation with some fans. They tell part of the story but nowhere near the whole story. You will get no argument from me as it relates to whether or not Plekanec is a better defensive player than Filppula, or if he is a more consistent player at the center position. With that being said, you can't reference that and some advanced stats and ignore raw number.

Over the last two season Filppula has had 42 and 33 points for a total 75. That is definitely an upgrade to Plekanec at 28 and 26 for 54. Filppula also bests Plekanec easily with 64 to 45 points at ES. If this was 15-20 years ago or a different team we are discussing than the Flyers you MIGHT have an argument that Plekanec is an upgrade. With that being said, it isn't 15-20 years ago and the vast majority of playoff teams have a third line center who can provided significant offense in addition to being responsible in other areas. This is also the Flyers we are discussing who are a team that hasn't shown that they have the offense to match up with top tier teams.

The bottom line is this, any team in today's NHL and certainly the Flyers need to be getting more than 25 points out of their third line center. We can bicker all day over a small margin but that would be pointless considering I said that Plekanec is not not an upgrade more or less. Maybe he's a slight upgrade but the Flyers need better than that.

Reactions: 46zone

wasup

Mar 21, 2018
None , i don't want any blocking kids plus you always over pay for free agents. Also i am from Winnipeg and know Kane , he is TRAIN wreck in and out of the locker room and is on his best behavior right now cause it's contract renewal time. There is a reason teams with him on it don't susceed an cannot wait to get rid of him , you do NOT want him trust me . Off ice getting beat up by bouncers and thrown out of bar's and clubs telling restaurants he's Evander Kane and should not have to pay and the list goes on .

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Since we all know how hexy dreads giving up anything of value i expect it to be a free agent signing or dirt cheap trade. In realm of possibility while being a good player at the same time is Stastny.
Two way guy (for reals, not just a label for washed up vet) who plays a heavy cycle game and has never been critisized for off ice behavior so he scores even character points. More money than term is something I could see happen and be happy with it.

What I expect to happen is some buy out turd to find his way here just to follow in Umberger filppula and Torgo footsteps. Probably Girardi for penalty kill while Tampa clears cap for Tavares or something.
You won't find a someone on this board who is significantly more down on Hextall than I am. With that being said, this is a bit over the top. At the very least Hextall is going to significantly upgrade the bottom 9 with a couple of guys like Bozak, Grabner, Beagle, Brodziak etc.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
This is a prime example of why advanced stats and those who live and die by them have a bad reputation with some fans. They tell part of the story but nowhere near the whole story. You will get no argument from me as it relates to whether or not Plekanec is a better defensive player than Filppula, or if he is a more consistent player at the center position. With that being said, you can't reference that and some advanced stats and ignore raw number.

Over the last two season Filppula has had 42 and 33 points for a total 75. That is definitely an upgrade to Plekanec at 28 and 26 for 54. Filppula also bests Plekanec easily with 64 to 45 points at ES. If this was 15-20 years ago or a different team we are discussing than the Flyers you MIGHT have an argument that Plekanec is an upgrade. With that being said, it isn't 15-20 years ago and the vast majority of playoff teams have a third line center who can provided significant offense in addition to being responsible in other areas. This is also the Flyers we are discussing who are a team that hasn't shown that they have the offense to match up with top tier teams.

The bottom line is this, any team in today's NHL and certainly the Flyers need to be getting more than 25 points out of their third line center. We can bicker all day over a small margin but that would be pointless considering I said that Plekanec is not not an upgrade more or less. Maybe he's a slight upgrade but the Flyers need better than that.

Plekanec will likely get ~28-30 points per 82 games with no PP time going off last season... Flip will get about the same logically. Except Plekanec would be twice as good everywhere else.

Flip would be completely fine, even good, at 3C if he had any semblance of positive play outside of his zone entries/passing in OZ.

As for a 3C providing significant offense... the average cup finalists 3C generally gets ~30-32 points. That is fact.

Now, I would prefer Bozak or Nash... but Plekanec is probably the 3rd best 3C option out there realistically. But Bozak and Nash playing true 3C all year with no/limited PP time will have hell getting more than ~35 points barring a very lucky season. It is just maths.

Like I said a few years ago, ~40 points is realistically the most you can get from a true 3C with PP2 time... like Couturier was getting. But if a guy is getting that then he is really at worst a 2C playing below his role.

I mean, I would love Stastny... but I very much doubt he signs here knowing that he wont get PP1 time, may be 3C. His agent would be silly to do so as he is capping his value on the next contract because his point production would be stifled simply by role.

Reactions: Starat327

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Then he is not likely to be traded. Drouin was reported to be only available for a huge package and went for one player. Kane was going for 3 major assets and returned a 2nd rd pick.

Teams aren’t giving major packages away anymore. Even McDonagh went for a late first and two second rate prospects. ROR would likely go for an “A” asset and a “B” asset.

Look a little closer at the Richards deal. It was B.Schenn (“A” asset) 2nd rd pick (B asset) and Wayne Simmonds. Wayne Simmonds was a defensive 3rd line winger at the time thought to bring grit and the occasional scoring into the teens. No one thought he was going to be the goal scorer he became so he was closer to a “B” asset at the time than an “A”. He was probably rated lower than Lindblom is now. So a comparable Mike Richards package for the flyers would be a 1st rd pick or top prospects, Hagg or 2nd rd pick, and Lindblom. But that would have been for when prices were higher and they are much lower plus ROR’s contract and caphit is much more onerous than Richards was.

Reactions: TheKingPin

46zone

Pass me the soft pretzels
Feb 5, 2007
Philadelphia
I mean, I would love Stastny... but I very much doubt he signs here knowing that he wont get PP1 time, may be 3C. His agent would be silly to do so as he is capping his value on the next contract because his point production would be stifled simply by role.

Stastny will sign here if the term is to his liking, I doubt he'll care about his PP time if the Flyers pay him what he and his agent want. Stastny is still an impact player and would be a great complimentary piece here as his is with Winnipeg now.

46zone

Pass me the soft pretzels
Feb 5, 2007
Philadelphia
Then he is not likely to be traded. Drouin was reported to be only available for a huge package and went for one player. Kane was going for 3 major assets and returned a 2nd rd pick.

Teams aren’t giving major packages away anymore. Even McDonagh went for a late first and two second rate prospects. ROR would likely go for an “A” asset and a “B” asset.

Look a little closer at the Richards deal. It was B.Schenn (“A” asset) 2nd rd pick (B asset) and Wayne Simmonds. Wayne Simmonds was a defensive 3rd line winger at the time thought to bring grit and the occasional scoring into the teens. No one thought he was going to be the goal scorer he became so he was closer to a “B” asset at the time than an “A”. He was probably rated lower than Lindblom is now. So a comparable Mike Richards package for the flyers would be a 1st rd pick or top prospects, Hagg or 2nd rd pick, and Lindblom. But that would have been for when prices were higher and they are much lower plus ROR’s contract and caphit is much more onerous than Richards was.

Richards AAV in 2011 was higher relative to the salary cap upper limit than ROR's current contract, and the Flyers can easily afford him. If the deal for ROR was the 14th overall, Lindblom, and Hagg then you make that trade. I like Lindblom quite a bit, but it's doubtful he will ever become as good as ROR is now.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
FACT Plekanec is old and his production has declined in two straight years.

FACT 30-32 points is more than the 28 and 26 a declining Plekanec has put up the last two years.

FACT the xup champions of the last two years had a 3rd line center in Nick Bonino who had 37 pts last year for and 29 in 63 games the year before.

Look at the four teams left right now and their third line centers. Three out of the four have more than 30-32 and two of them have 40+.

Tyler Johnson - 53 points
Bryan Little - 43 points
Lars eller - 38 points
Cody Eakin - 27 points

A 25 point declining center isnt going to cut the mustard as a 3rd liner on a legit playoff contender - FACT

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I mean, last year objectively Plekanec was way better than Flip and is still actually decent defensively. Plus is actually a real C instead of a LW masquerading as one. Though he is a risk.

Plekanec: 1.26 P/60, 51.35% CF, -0.09 CF Rel, 56.16% ExGF, +3.88 ExGF Rel, 12.44 ICF/60
39.03% ZSR,

Filppula: 1.1 P/60, 44.53% CF, -7.2 CF Rel, 43.32% ExGF, -9.55 ExGF Rel, 5.16 ICF/60
48.89% ZSR

The QoT and QoC is not worth listing as basically identical.

Plekanec was objectively pretty good given his usage. P/60 is only place you could realistically like to see more.

P.S. Sorry for making everyones eyes bleed with the Flip stats.

Jesus look at that difference in ExGF% between Plekanec and Filppula.

Reactions: kelmitchell

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Unless this 3C also plays in net, he won't be the difference between this team being a "legit playoff contender" next year or not.

We also don't need anyone long term since we have multiple other options for both next year and the future after that. If Frost isn't ready next year, he likely will be the year after that, so adding someone who could potentially block him would be stupid.

Reactions: BigToe

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Grabner
Brodziak
Winnik

Kempny
Franson
Jerabek

Grabner - he'd be a good addition, but 27 goals the last two years I think is a fluke, but he may be overpriced due to that scoring, I think his play on the Devils is closer to his norm and if he's priced as a top 4th line guy is worth adding, but not if he's priced as a top 3rd line forward.

Brodziak - had a bounce back year scoring, but his Corsi is bleech, he'll be 34, pass unless he comes on a cheap one year deal where he's easily cut

Winnik - also 34, probably a better bet than Brodziak, but still only 4th line depth

Bozak to me is the most likely, but not sure Toronto will let him walk.
Not sure how much Plekanec has left in the tank, but he was on a 30 point ES rate with Montreal playing 16 minutes a night, fell off in Toronto playing 11 minutes a night. So he's probably got one more solid season left, which is all we need.
Riley Nash would be perfect, since he could move to RW if Simmonds leaves, but will he be overpriced coming off a contract year? His 38 ES points are probably not sustainable, he's 29, so if the cost is 5x5, too much 3x5, worth a gamble.

Bozak-2.png

The Toronto Maple Leafs Should Re-Sign Tyler Bozak - Last Word on Hockey

Ruck Over

When the revolution comes, pants will do you no gd
Apr 19, 2016
Philadelphia, Pa
John Carlson - simply put he's only going to cost cap space to acquire and he slots into the weakest group of need. He's young enough to sign a mid/long-term contract without the expected drop-off at the end. 5yrs*$7.5m would be fantasy land, so 7yrs*$8.75m and maybe not so much, but it'd likely be worth it.

Reactions: The Madrigal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->