Who Is The Most Underestimated Prospect ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
HABS456 said:
Give Your Oppinion

I am going to throw my HOMER hat in the ring and say Alexander Steen..

He is going very well as a 19 year old in the SEL, plays in Tourney's as the youngest member of Sweden based on all reports has no real weaknesses in his game, however he seldom gets mentioned as a top Prospect outside the NHL...

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
mario66 said:
Noah Welch. Seemed to be overlooked by some, but is starting to get some recognition.

I agree. There might not be a more underrated prospect than Noah Welch in the entire NHL. He would go in the top 10 or 15 if the 2001 draft was re-done.

I think Jeff Woywitka is overlooked. Maybe not here as much as by NHL press and NHL organizations.

A lot of this has to do with the Philly organization and Joni Pitkanen. Woywitka is a top 4 defense prospect, the only reason he doesn't get more attention is because Pitkanen is a potential Norris guy. Woywitka was a great value pick late in the first round. I he'd be playing for several NHL teams, but as is he won't get a decent chance unless trades open up the depth chart.

rinkrat13

Nov 27, 2003
Toronto
Timofei Shishkanov of Nashville is my pick for most underrated prospect. He's got size (6'1 213) though, the biggest concern of many NHL teams was, could this kid play the North American game... I think he showed them all that he could play the North Amrican game by going to the Q last season and putting up really good numbers (GP51 G36 A46 PTS82 +29) in his first*season over here. This year in Milwaukee (Nashville's farm) he has already GP16 G6 A5 PTS11 +1 - all not bad numbers for a guy that might not be able to play the North American game... plus afer Hartnell, the Preds have no one that looks that good on the LW.

Timofei has my vote...

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
I never hear anything about Maxime Ouellet anymore. He's a great goaltender, but never really hyped.

For the blackhawks, I see James Wisniewski as being a great defenseman in the future. He has all of the skills to become a great defenseman, and he reminds me a lot of Derek Morris when i see him play. I dont think he'll be quite *as* good as Morris, but he wont be far off.

Habsfunk

Jan 11, 2003
BC
Visit site
HABS456 said:
Give Your Oppinion

As far as Habs prospects go I'd say Tomas Plekanec. He had 46 points as a rookie in the AHL last year with limited ice time. This year he's close to a PPG and he's also a sparkplug type player who works hard every game. He's got great speed, he's really strong and he's very feisty. His biggest problem is his size. He's only 5'11, although he weighs 200 pounds. It will be interesting to see how he adjusts to the NHL in the future.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Welch, definitely. Also Doug Murray.

Qubax said:
Who has Noah Welch..? Is he drafted?

Where is he playing now...?
He was drafted by the Penguins in 2001, he's currently at Harvard.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
JasonMacIsaac said:
Dixon!!!!!!!!!!!!

Filip Novak is very underestimated. He should be in the top 100 prospects as he is definately top 25 dmen prospect. He has fantastic skating ability, a great shot and great defensive coverage and fantastic offensive skills. He is overshadowed by Lukas Krajicek (who is a little underestimated too) and could very well be a fantastic #3 defenseman for Florida behind Bouwmeester and Krajicek. BTW Novak was I believe an allstar last year in the AHL in his first season in the A. He was also on the all rookie team as well. He was injured, but if healthy, he was thought to make a serious run for the #5 dman spot against Krajicek but was hurt. Also, Rob Globke is tearing up the NCAA for Notre Dame. HE would have gone in the first round in his draft year.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I don't consider a point per game as "tearing it up", especially for a senior.

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
I'd hard to comment on a subject like this for me personally for two reasons;

1.) I don't visit these boards as often as most, so it's hard to say who generates discussion and who doesn't.
2.) I know that minute I finish my post, someone will name another kid who is equally deserving.

Anyway, my selection would be Jeff Taffe of the Coyotes.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
Jeremy Williams, Jeff Taffe, Kiril Koltsov, Jarkko Immonen, Eric Beaudoin, Ryan Suter, Garth Murray, Ryan Kesler.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Dr_Chimera said:
Dominic Moore.

And the coach are Harvard said that Noah Welch was the most valuable player on their team last year (as a sophmore), even more so than Dominic Moore. Pretty good endorsement.

Oh, and he said he thinks he is probably the best player in the country (all of the NCAA).

Phaze

Feb 27, 2002
JasonMacIsaac said:
Kesler and Koltsov??? Kesler was just drafted, and way to high in almost everyones opinion, the day of the draft every canucks fan was pissed at the draft pick, what has he done to deserve any hype. Koltsov had his share of hype and like I said isn't great defensivly.

Kesler is on the list for the exact reason you just gave. Some people thought he was drafted too high, but he almost made the team, and just got called up and has looked great. Most Canuck fans like the pick now.

Dr_Chimera*

jmelm said:
And the coach are Harvard said that Noah Welch was the most valuable player on their team last year (as a sophmore), even more so than Dominic Moore. Pretty good endorsement.

Oh, and he said he thinks he is probably the best player in the country (all of the NCAA).

Welch is pretty good, but he doesn't have the upside of Moore.

Crusher20

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Mike Komisarek... ;)

no seriously thats a tough question.. the most underated.. all i can say is that i see a nice potential in Ryder but i think he got loads of respect already.. at least i hope so.

thats my take for Montreal, but.. i dont wanna say another player from the NHL because i know theres tons of great players not even consider prospects right now.. see Pavol Demitra, Robert Lang, etc.. you know players drafted in the later rounds.. wait a minute.. Ryder too. hehe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->