Prospect Info: Who is the most overrated/underrated Jets prospect?

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Underrated:
Niku - Outside of the hardcores, nobody had heard of him before he signed. Like nobody and he arguably the Jets' best D prospect.

Overrated:
Poolman - Piles of people think he's going to step right intl the NHL and play top 4 minutes as a rookie coming off a pair of shoulder surgeries.
Comrie - He is talked about like a safer bet than Hellebuyck, but he hasn't figured out how to stop AHL shooters.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Underrated:
Niku - Outside of the hardcores, nobody had heard of him before he signed. Like nobody and he arguably the Jets' best D prospect.

Overrated:
Poolman - Piles of people think he's going to step right intl the NHL and play top 4 minutes as a rookie coming off a pair of shoulder surgeries.
Comrie - He is talked about like a safer bet than Hellebuyck, but he hasn't figured out how to stop AHL shooters.

I'm not sure I've seen anyone suggest that Poolman will step in as a top 4. Most have him as a 3rd pairing D, at best.

Hank Chinaski

May 29, 2007
YFO
I feel like the question of overrated/underrated will be easier to answer once we do our annual prospect rankings.

Speaking of, this year's rankings are going to be really interesting. We're likely looking at Connor 1 or 2, Roslovic 2 or 3 (depending on who we draft in the first this year). Then it's going to get wild.

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I feel like the question of overrated/underrated will be easier to answer once we do our annual prospect rankings.

Speaking of, this year's rankings are going to be really interesting. We're likely looking at Connor 1 or 2, Roslovic 2 or 3 (depending on who we draft in the first this year). Then it's going to get wild.
Connor will be rankee #1 unless they somehow draft in the top two.

Weezeric

Jan 27, 2015
Connor will be rankee #1 unless they somehow draft in the top two.

Yessir, Connor has become a little underrated after not jumping to the NHL as a 19 yr old. There was talk of a marner/Connor comparison at the beginning of the year. I still feel they're on the same tier. The player who reaches the NHL first isn't always the best player.

clubkid75

Feb 7, 2016
Under

Stanley & Spacek

Over

Poolman and Lemieux

Most forgotten about or not talked about enough but could surprise

DeLeo and Nogier

Going absolutely nowhere/never making the NHL

Lipon and Olsen

Boreal

Jun 26, 2012
Honestly I haven't seen much of him(as I missed the Memorial Cup), has he proved his worth of the 1st Pick back yet. Basically just wondering why you picked him..

Nothing wild.

The Jets appear to value character and smarts above all. Many of their players were all-academic, regardless of tall or short (Lowry, Morrissey). They essentially have never missed on a 1st rounder yet, and I have no major reason to believe they are beginning now. We all know Stanley is a boom or bust pick. I just believe that many are already treating him as a bust before giving him the appropriate amount of time to see what he can be. He has tools. I'm not writing him off yet.

Runforthecup

Nov 10, 2013
Calgary, CW Bay
[mod] The following posters listed Poolman in the most overrated category.

ruffus23
grind
captain chef
ps241
Brian from AIH
Daximus
Channelcat
Ducky10
rehf
truck
clubkid75

Still feel that way lads?(and/or lasses).

Last edited by a moderator:

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
He's a year older than Trouba. Let that sink in when rating him as a "prospect".

He's close to a finished product, he doesn't have as much room for growth as many posters on here proclaim.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
He's a year older than Trouba. Let that sink in when rating him as a "prospect".

He's close to a finished product, he doesn't have as much room for growth as many posters on here proclaim.

Agreed, but he looks like a bona fide NHLer at this point. I'm not sure we can declare any of the other D prospects as being sure-fire. The only D that might have the upside to overcome that issue might be Samberg. Niku might too, but I'd like to see a bit more of his game at the AHL level.

Runforthecup

Nov 10, 2013
Calgary, CW Bay

Which posters are proclaiming he has above average room for growth? It seems to me most were proclaiming him overrated. So far he has shown good puck sense, the ability to move the puck well (things that showed at his first rookie camp) and from what I have seen so far this year a solid skating ability. While Poolman will likely get time with the Moose, I wouldn't be surprised if he was our first call up.

I hate to see people trashing any young player.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
It depends what people think of Poolman. He looks to have the tools to be a solid NHL dmen. At 24 he is at close to his physical peak so likely not a tonne of room to grow but I'll take a solid number 4/5 dmen from a late round pick any day.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Agreed, but he looks like a bona fide NHLer at this point. I'm not sure we can declare any of the other D prospects as being sure-fire. The only D that might have the upside to overcome that issue might be Samberg. Niku might too, but I'd like to see a bit more of his game at the AHL level.

I agree, but again that has to do with age. Where was Poolman 3+ years ago to compare to Niku? Or 5+ years ago to compare to Samberg?

I like him and think he has some good upside still due to just being a late bloomer, not nearly as much as Niku or Samberg, but you can understand why those few posters thought he could be overrated due to the hype/age dynamic.

MardyBum

Jul 4, 2012
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Which posters are proclaiming he has above average room for growth? It seems to me most were proclaiming him overrated. So far he has shown good puck sense, the ability to move the puck well (things that showed at his first rookie camp) and from what I have seen so far this year a solid skating ability. While Poolman will likely get time with the Moose, I wouldn't be surprised if he was our first call up.

I hate to see people trashing any young player.

There were plenty of posts talking about his future and his potential growth. I don't disagree he'll continue to grow, just at the rate he will.

And he is overrated if we're comparing him to his peers in our pool, who at the same age he was are far, FAR, further along in their developnment than he was.

It's not about trashing, it's about taking his age into context.

If JC Lipon outshines Michael Spacek this year is he a better prospect?

boanst

May 25, 2013
Regular fanbase

Overrated: Comrie, Poolman
Underrated: Berdin, Foley

HFJets

Overrated: Niku,
Underrated: Veselainen, Lemieux

I couldnt really think of another prospect highly overrated here besides the not quite a prospect anymore in Dano.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015

ruffus23
grind
captain chef
ps241
Brian from AIH
Daximus
Channelcat
Ducky10
rehf
truck
clubkid75

Preseason
Don't be so cocky

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com

ruffus23
grind
captain chef
ps241
Brian from AIH
Daximus
Channelcat
Ducky10
rehf
truck
clubkid75

He was mentioned repeatedly as potential Byfuglien replacement. This happened more on the radio than in here, but it happened. That's the basis for my comment. Even now, he's talked about a lot by the broadcasters and asked about constantly in scrums, while others (like Niku) are never mentioned. Never said he couldn't play.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->