Who is the hardest hitter in NHL history?

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Definitely Lindros. No one hit as hard as he did. I'm amazed Stevens shoulder pads survived.

Devils Mike*

Stevens easily, it's hard to believe any one would pick another person.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Stevens and Konstantinov in recent history were amazing hitters.

However, I can't even believe that nobody has mentionned Chris Chelios!!!
I know most young guys only remember the 40 year old Chelios, but man he was a hitting machine in the 90s. A real train that would devastate opposing forwards.
And he could hit you both open ice and on the boards with ferocious force.

So I'll give him my vote in my time.

Last edited:

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Stevens and Konstantinov in recent history were amazing hitters.

However, I can't even believe that nobody has mentionned Chris Chelios!!!
I know most young guys only remember the 40 year old Chelios, but man he was a hitting machine in the 90s. A real train that would devastate opposing forwards.
And he could hit you both open ice and on the boards with ferocious force.

So I'll give him my vote in my time.

Pound for pound I doubt anyone hit harder than Konstantinov. 5'11" 185lb, but he could light you up.

Psycho Papa Joe

Porkchop Hoser
Feb 27, 2002
Cesspool, Ontario
Visit site
Agree with the obvious choices that have already been mentioned, but one guy who doesn't get much credit is Brian Glennie, who played in the 70's. Great open ice hitter, and I believe he was picked best body checker a few years. Never aimed for people's chins either.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Pound for pound I doubt anyone hit harder than Konstantinov. 5'11" 185lb, but he could light you up.

Lindros absolutely destroyed Konstantinov, put him on queer street big time.

The Stevens hit on Lindros gets all the pub, but the Kasparitis hit on Lindros was better, and caused more of the problems.

jkrx

Feb 4, 2010
Konstantinov, Stevens, Chelios, Tinordi, Salming, Kasparitis, Nazarov, Ulfie, Marchement, Otto, McKay, Howe....

Canadiens1958

Nov 30, 2007
Lake Memphremagog, QC.
True

Lindros absolutely destroyed Konstantinov, put him on queer street big time.

The Stevens hit on Lindros gets all the pub, but the Kasparitis hit on Lindros was better, and caused more of the problems.

Very true. Classic example of the merits of watching game films. Flyers had a set play using a pick at the blueline, usually Leclair to spring Lindros into the offensive zone down the wing. Kasparitis worked out the timing and nailed Lindros coming out of the pick.

The Stevens hit was more or less the finishing blow.

avs1986

Feb 2, 2010
Might be biased, but I'm going with Forsberg. And o yah, Sakic 1 - Stevens 0,:laugh:

theRedAce9*

For the brief little bit he was in it, Lindros in his prime was the most physically dominant player I've ever seen and I've watched hockey since 1973. Was he the "hardest hitter?" I don't know but he'd have to be up there.

Stevens was in his prime longer and was a punishing hitter and deserves to be mentioned. Also a minor player in hockey history but a brutal hitter nonetheless was Bob Gassoff of the Blues. I used to worry he was going to kill someone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad