• Ryan O’Reilly

Votes: 105 71.4%
  • Robert Thomas

Votes: 42 28.6%

• Total voters

TheGoldenGod

5 Star Man
Nov 8, 2017
ROR is more proven and he is still one of the best two-way centers in the game. Led all Blues forwards in ice time, playing PP, PK, and draws the opposing teams top matchups. He was also more productive is last season’s post season.

Robert Thomas is a lot more dynamic offensively and is a good defensive center as well. He was 2nd in ice time among Blues forwards trailing only ROR, playing both PP and PK. He also centers the more dangerous offensive wingers in Tarasenko and Buchnevich and outscored ROR by 24 points last season.

Last edited:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Are you asking about role or value? Thomas is probably going to play more of a traditional top line scoring role this year, while O’Reilly will continue to take harder matchups, but I don’t think there will be a clear divide between them, as they both play in all situations and they both bring different elements to the game. More of a 1A, 1B situation. Though I imagine ROR will get more minutes still. As for more value, it’s hard to put Thomas ahead just yet after the playoffs.

Reactions: LGB and Dutronc

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
I think Thomas will get more 5v5 time this year.
While you're probably right, and even though 5v5 ice time is a good way to see the pecking order among defensemen, it's not as good to compare centers.

For example, Charlie Coyle received more Ev ice time than Bergeron.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
While you're probably right, and even though 5v5 ice time is a good way to see the pecking order among defensemen, it's not as good to compare centers.

For example, Charlie Coyle received more Ev ice time than Bergeron.
I don't think that's an equivalent situation. Bergeron had many injuries and is one of the older players in the NHL. ROR isn't nursing an injury and isn't in his late 30s.

Reactions: kerrabria

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Whoever plays with Tarasenko.

So last year, Rob Thomas.

The year before that, they basically didn't have one.

The year before that, Brayden Schenn.

Tarasenko is one of that rare upper echelon of Wingers who can elevate a good #2C to a de facto #1C. Among guys like Kane, Panarin, Gaudreau et al.

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022

Tarasenko is one of that rare upper echelon of Wingers who can elevate a good #2C to a de facto #1C. Among guys like Kane, Panarin, Gaudreau et al.

Agreed.

Thomas with Tarasenko - 716m TOI
ROR with Tarasenko - 44m TOI

In my eyes, Tarasenko plays on line 1, so I'd say Thomas is the 1C.

LGB

Feb 4, 2019
I'll still give it to ROR mostly because of playoff performance. Right now it's a 1A/1B situation but Thomas could run away with it this year.

Connor McConnor

Nov 22, 2017
It's a 1A/1B situation. Both players bring different skillsets. Voted ROR out of respect, and the fact that I know he'll be the 1C in the Playoffs.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
First thought is Thomas. ROR is probably all around better, but I see Thomas being groomed into the #1C role. It's basically a toss-up imo.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
ROR for now, but I can see Thomas technically taking it if he’s even better this upcoming season.

Either way, having a 1A/1B duo where one is dynamite offensively, and the other is a Selke candidate is about as idealistic as you can get for a team that doesn’t have a superstar center.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Agree with the 1A/1B situation. ROR averaged 18 seconds more per game this past season but that could flip to Thomas this season.

As a Blues fan, I say it’s just great to have both. ROR will get the tougher defensive assignments and Thomas will contribute more offensively. They’re pretty even in overall impact today but as Thomas is entering the prime of his career and ROR is exiting his, Thomas is bound to start to take on a bigger role.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia

What is this logic?? ROR is better than Tarasenko

Reactions: UED

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad