Speculation: Who is our 14th forward?

What forward would you like to see in Hershey?

• Total voters

francaisvolantsparis

Nov 21, 2018
Nice
With Kuzy coming back from his suspension, we have to cut one forward from the roster. Who is your choice?

Travis Boyd (C/LW) - 0.34 PPG. Two-way responsible forward with a little upside. Can score goals at all lower levels. Todd gave him his chance the last year. $0.800M RFA. Does not have ideal size.
Chandler Stephenson (C/LW) - 0.20 PPG. Solid depth forward, good at PK. Can win faceoffs and has a good speed. Was good in the SC playoffs run. Can't score goals. $1.05M RFA. Will take a veteran spot on Bears team.
Brendan Leipsic (LW) - 0.38 PPG. Two-way agitating role player with a little upside. Can score goals at all lower levels. Signed this offseason for the first team. $0.700M RFA. Does not have ideal size.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Logically it's Leipsic as 4LW and Stephenson as #13 to play any 4th line position in case of a in injury (or someone getting out of shape). So Boyd isnt really needed to eat cap space and nachos.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Logically it's Leipsic as 4LW and Stephenson as #13 to play any 4th line position in case of a in injury (or someone getting out of shape). So Boyd isnt really needed to eat cap space and nachos.

Yeah, and what if a top6 forward gets injured? If the Caps have one weakness, it's probably not forward depth but depth in terms of skills amongst forwards. Wilson improved a lot but there are more gifted top6 forwards in the NHL. Outside the top6 there's not much else. Some puck hogs, some finishers, some speedsters but not much in terms of passing, puck handling or creativity.

Some of that can get compensated by the skilled, puck moving defense with good passing and controlled zone exits. All defenders except maybe Lewington are pretty good at that. Still, with the Caps deciding not to use McMichael, Protas, Gersich and Malenstyn for now and Kuznetsov out there's a certain lack of creativity. They made up for it with good goaltending and solid work against the puck by both forwards and defenders but I'd keep Boyd for now in case they lose a top6 forward.

Also, can they even afford to keep Stephenson as a 13th forward now that Copley and Djoos both cleared? I'm no cap expert but I don't think so. If they don't need Boyd to eat nachos in the press box then they need the more expensive Stephenson even less to do that.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Yeah, and what if a top6 forward gets injured? If the Caps have one weakness, it's probably not forward depth but depth in terms of skills amongst forwards. Wilson improved a lot but there are more gifted top6 forwards in the NHL. Outside the top6 there's not much else. Some puck hogs, some finishers, some speedsters but not much in terms of passing, puck handling or creativity.

Some of that can get compensated by the skilled, puck moving defense with good passing and controlled zone exits. All defenders except maybe Lewington are pretty good at that. Still, with the Caps deciding not to use McMichael, Protas, Gersich and Malenstyn for now and Kuznetsov out there's a certain lack of creativity. They made up for it with good goaltending and solid work against the puck by both forwards and defenders but I'd keep Boyd for now in case they lose a top6 forward.

Also, can they even afford to keep Stephenson as a 13th forward now that Copley and Djoos both cleared? I'm no cap expert but I don't think so. If they don't need Boyd to eat nachos in the press box then they need the more expensive Stephenson even less to do that.

Welp — if it’s a bad injury, then you recall a top 6 F from Hershey.

if it’s a ding — you do what you are doing now. Move up someone. Dowd can play a more versatile role offensively if it’s a C, and Panik and Hathaway can play higher than their slots.

Keep the best 13. Assuming ... Sal Cap

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4